Monday, October 22, 2007

Reflections on condo mania

I woke up this morning nauseous. No, not a late in life pregnancy because I don't carry the equipment anymore. It was that kind of feeling that if I let myself think about it, I would be running to the bathroom to throw up. Only I knew there was nothing to upchuck and I HATE the dry heaves. So, I prayed' Bless the Lord Oh my soul and ALL that is WITHIN me, bless His Holy Name. Went back to sleep and awoke with that same nauseous feeling. So, I called Jason and left a message and went back to sleep. With the exception of a checking on you phone call from Roy and a couple of text messages I didn't respond to, I slept until 11:10. Woke up kind of queasy, but not like before. Around noon I ventured into the food world...sipped Coke and had a piece of dry toast. So far so good but I still have that unsettled feeling like I may get to see my toast again. So, a hot shower seemed in order, but you know how it is when you don't feel well, you have to take a nap for the strength to shower and towel off, then nap for the strength to get dressed. So, here I sit in my favorite gray sweatshirt and a pair of warm up pants, queasy and I know it is cool outside. The condo office called and Roy's package had arrived. So, I went to the office via the courtyard to experience Autumn. On the way, I passed by a neighbor who is always so complementary. He greets me with, "Hello miss!" He continues, "you look great today, ready to experience Fall." I know what I look like today and it is not great, but he made me feel good for a couple of seconds. I held onto the hope of looking good when I know the mirror has told me otherwise and went into the office to get Roy's Cd's he ordered. Everyone in the office said, oh my you look horrible. Are you sick? Balloon bust and back to reality. Buddy has been good company, sleeping right beside me all morning.



We love living in our condos. Types of people are cyclical. When we first moved in, we were some of the youngest people living here. While our movers were bringing in our furniture we got the once over by old ladies with the look of, don't play your music too loud. Then we went through a time where all the oldies but goodies were moving to assisted living. I officially knew I was old when someone at church inquired if any condos were for sale, that their young nephew wanted to look in this direction and I responded...why, yes and there are a lot of young people living in our condos now. I aged myself by using young people in a sentence and being serious about it. Living over the pool gives great demographics. If it is a year of young people, the pool area is crowded with tanners...little if any swimming. If it is a year of old people, they are out there in the cool of the early morning and then evening laughing and talking with one another around the tables. If it is a year of families, the pool is in constant use and is especially noisy on Sunday afternoons, just about the time I need my Sunday afternoon nap. With all the rain this summer it was hard to get a read, but I think it is families this year. There was a significant move downstairs. I never knew the guy's name, but we nick named him the Republican. He is a fundraiser for them and he was always on his cell phone and always in a hurry. Guess he was in a hurry to move on up cause his one bedroom condo went on the market and now I don't quite know who lives there. It seems to be this one man who lives there, but there are always a ton of people there. It is a small floor plan, so they spill out into the courtyard and breezeway. All of them are on cell phones having some of the strangest conversations, well those that are in English. I wonder if he runs some kind of phone sex deal because that seems to be the main topic of every one's conversation and it seems pretty much business as usual on this end because the women are usually reading magazines or the paper while they say things that most don't say while they are reading, unless they are reading a Danielle Steel novel or something like that out loud. Then there is a woman who lives here who is 101 years old. She dresses up everyday and is a lady who lunches. Her young 80 year old friends pick her up everyday. She still plays bridge and the only thing that slows her down is a bum knee from tennis. She played until she was almost 90. Pool season is over so Fern is back into hibernation. Then there are the two gay men who have been together for years. One looks to be really sick and not getting around too well. In their prime you wouldn't even think they were gay cause they are such bad dressers. They loved to give me a difficult time about being Baptist, so there was a lot of fun barbs traded between us. We invited them to the Christmas program one year, they loved it and it was a part of their Christmas tradition to come each year. One year, I was a big angel behind the scrim. They were having a Christmas come and go party before one of our performances. So Roy and I dropped in to say a quick hello and then on our way. One of the guys said he was going to yell out during the scene I was in, she drank scotch and water right before the show. Let me assure you I had not had one drop of liquor. I had a Diet Coke that I brought from home with me. I told him, you do that and I will yell from the stage that you all are gay. They'll be on you all like a sick kitten to a hot rock. He was speechless cause he thought that just might be true. We are a diverse group who live here, widows, a psychic business owner (reading cards is her specialty), retired professors, a former owner of a bridal shop who once retired, realized she missed work and went to work for Saks. We must have some good cooks that live on our floor because at dinner time the hallways are filled with a bouquet of flavorful aromas. No one is too loud at night and everyone seems respectful of our shared spaces. There are rules for when you can run your washer and dryer, dishwasher and no vacuuming after 9:00pm (no problem). You have to be moved in by 4:00 on the weekdays and by 1:30 on the weekends. Over the years there have been a few bad apples, but not enough to spoil the bunch. Guess I am thinking through all this because of being home not feeling well and the quiet I have been able to enjoy.



Well, all this writing has made me sleepy. Guess I better go lay down and rest for a bit. I see that Buddy is played out, so she should be joining me for our little nap.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

First off, I am calling out all the lurkers on this blog! You best get to commenting! Second, I enjoyed your observations about your condo community. Are you in the one all my friends are in? I had a good laugh about the threats y'all were making about the pageant.

Nancy Mon said...

No they live in HFBC West. We live in HFBC South on the beautiful oak tree lined lane. There are more than several who live over this way who attend HFBC, but HFBC West has many more than we.

Thanks for calling out the lurkers, I hope it helps. Most of my lurkers never read the comments.

I had a good laugh over your neighbor experiences with Beckham.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are feeling bad. When you get back to work there is a present I left for you (on your chair)! Found it on my weekend trip with Paula - we laughed and thought "this is so Nancy!".

Sassy Shae said...

I hope you're feeling better! Is it fall enough for you out there today? :)

Lisa Pierre said...

You were not at work today?! I left you a couple of messages and you didn't call out at all 'cause I left you a text too while I was at step class.

So sorry you didn't feel well. But you and Buddy had a good day sounds like. See you tomorrow at Bible study.

Tammie Head said...

I am such a people person that this post brought delight and they are not even my neighbors! People watching is one of my very favorite things to do! People are so dang interesting to me.

We should have a date sometime :)

♥ tammie

The Synnott's said...

i was wondering where you were... you were missed yesterday and i am so sorry you felt bad! dont come see me!!! hehehehe...
love you

Angela Baylis said...

Hi...
I just found you through someone else's blog! I really enjoyed this post! I hope you are feeling better! Now I want to read some of your older posts! :)

Love,
Angie xoxo

Dana said...

Not a lurker just a late commentor.

Nancy, you look fabulous today...glad you are feeling better!

Love the stories! My neighbors are quite boring compared to yours.

Michelle said...

i loved this blog because it made me think of bayou woods. living in a community like that keeps life interesting. sometimes i felt like i was in the movie "rear window" checking out people and trying to figure everyone out. i too had a neighbor that was always secretively outside on a cell phone. i wondered what he did for a living...or what he was hiding!!

Unknown said...

this made me giggle!!! i love that you are so observant with your neighbors!