Friday, November 7, 2008

More Social Than Usual

Buddy must be feeling the effect of cooler temps. She is alive with activity this morning. She is playing with wild abandon. She is playing like a kitten. She is chasing balls, wrestling with toys and is waging war against some ribbon attached to an empty paper towel roll. Maybe she plays this way everyday and I miss it. Soon she will be searching for one of her top five napping places.

This has been a fairly social week. The past month's routine is work, home for lunch, rest, with a few dinners out thrown in here and there. With things at the office demanding his attention, Roy has been getting home a little later than usual. It was very enjoyable to have dinner with him on Monday night.


On Wednesday Amy treated me to lunch at The Houston Club. We had great conversation, fabulous food, and a bit of a surprise thrown in. We were seated in The Bush Room. We were enjoying ourselves when a bit of a stir of activity took over the room. We saw two men with those little cords in their ears and of course we both thought, oh must be Barry West and Tray Mounce...the Pastor is here. No, to our surprise it was the Secret Service and President George Bush 41 who entered the room. He and his guests were seated in the back corner of the room, but his secret service agents sat at a table very close to Amy and me. They had stationed themselves to watch the entrance and the President. Talk about focus, in that room filled with a lovely buffet and all they had was bread and water. I have to share this; Amy stood up to make her way to the buffet. She made an awkward move that was interpreted as a move toward 41. Those secret service men were on her like a sick kitten to a hot rock. (I don't know what that means, but Peggy says it) Being the kind compassionate and helpful friend that I am, I ratted her out to those men. I said, she is from Missouri, who knows what evil lurks in her heart! While one of the agents kept his eye on the President, the other one whisked Amy over in the corner. He asked which dessert on the buffet was her least favorite. He had one of the waiters bring over the key lime pie and a fork. He made her eat a piece of pie and then demanded to know why she had made an aggressive move toward 41. She didn't answer, he made her eat another piece of pie. He asked the question again. No answer. Third piece of key lime and I intervened. Not because of my friendship with Amy, but due to the fact key lime is one of my favorite desserts and if he kept making her eat it, there wouldn't be any for me when dessert time arrived. I pleaded with the agent that she is just clumsy and awkward...and there was no ill will intended. At that time, Amy stood up and made the same stumbling move. Game over, case proved. She was released to continue eating lunch.

Last night I met Dena for dinner. Afterwards, I ran over to The Nord to check out the sale. Ran into CourtneyS and Lisa P. That was a nice surprise. Another nice surprise was buying pants a size smaller. I think I have lost about 40 pounds.

OK...I have to confess, while President 41 did eat lunch at The Houston Club on Wednesday, Amy did not have any engagement with the secret service. They just sat at their table focused on safety and protection. They didn't even move a muscle when Amy threw that fried chicken leg in the general vicinity of the Presidential group. OK, she didn't do that either.

Please over look any misspellings, my spell checker isn't working on blogger this morning.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are too funny! I never know what I am going to find when I check your blog!

Amanda said...

40 pounds? That is awesome!

Laurie M said...

Hey, my man makes that corded earpiece look GOOD. you feel more secure on Sundays, don't ya?

FitzandMolly said...

you seem to be in a fiesty mood today! sorry i couldn't stick around and talk last night. i was on a mission that was doomed to failure. nothing fit.

Jennifer said...

You are cracking me up. I am reading thinking NO WAY. 40 pounds is awesome!

jené said...

How odd! When 41 is in our store the secret service just wait for him at the door. They didn't even budge when a friend swung the life hammer around to show 41 how it worked.

Congrats on the forty pounds, stay away from multiple slices of key lime pie and you have got it made!