Monday, July 18, 2011

To Be Father Knows Best or I Love Lucy?


On days that I stick near home I seem to follow a prescribed schedule.  Mornings I go through and pack up things, eat lunch, do some more work and just about 3:00 there comes a transition to the day.  The TV is hardly ever on during the day, but around 3:00 vintage shows come on channel 318.  They call this block of time and shows, Antennae TV.  These are the shows that were watched when the ol' rabbit ears sat at top the console TV or the black and white portable television.  3:00 - 4:00 is two episodes of Father Knows Best.  Even back in the day, it wasn't really one of my favorites.  I was an I Love Lucy or Leave it to Beaver girl.  It has been interesting watching the cultural shift from 1954 -1961 shows.  On Father Knows Best, there was the dad Jim.  He worked as an insurance agent.  Mom, whose TV name escapes me, stayed at home, cooked, cleaned, and belonged to a few women's clubs.  Betty, was the oldest and she is a teenager.  She always got on my nerves as a kid and now watching as an adult, my opinion hasn't changed.  Bud was the middle kid, the only boy.  He was always in some kind of good natured trouble.  Then there was the youngest, Cathy.  Cute, precocious but kind of needy, looking at her today but back in the 50's I guess that is how she was portrayed.  One thing that I've noticed as an adult is, Jim and Margaret...that's her name, are pretty romantic and had some long, on screen kisses that weren't seen much back then.  Of course they slept in twin beds, but you know they must have pushed them together almost as much as Ricky and Lucy.  :)  Yep, Father Knows Best, the transitional hour of the day.  It hasn't inspired me to run to the door, in a dress complete with apron, full make up, and greet Roy.  Maybe I will do that one day when we move into our new house.  That will freak him out and I suppose he'll think I'll have dinner in the oven and a newspaper to hand to him.   Nah, better not.  He knows that I am more the I Love Lucy affection ado and Lucy only did those things when she wanted something or had spent too much money.  Hmmm...maybe after moving into the new house, that might not be a bad idea. 

No comments: