Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thursday Thoughts, Third Edition

Every day we are adjusting to life on the prairie.  One thing that I'm still learning is all about timing.  In Houston, you gave almost every drive time at least 30 minutes, even if you were just a few blocks or miles from your destination.  Here, it is all about 5-10 timing, maybe less.  I'm talking about driving around here not back into Houston. This actually gives more time to get things done around home or do a blog post.  Whatever....

I took yesterday off.  I hit the road, went out to breakfast and did some pricing of things, bought pillows and mattress pads for guest rooms and splurged on a bread maker.  Not just an ordinary bread maker, but one from Williams Sonoma.  This thing does it all except brush your teeth for you.  Bought a couple of the bread mixes and I've been given some stellar bread making advice from friends.  You should have seen the faces of the sales clerks in Williams when I asked, it says add water and oil.  What kind of oil should I use?  I kind of had that WD 40 look on my face. 

Realizing we get very poor cell phone reception here, we added a Comcast line.  Since we have been without a land line for a long time, I had forgotten about telemarketing phone calls.  So far all of them have been for home security.  When we were pricing home security, we couldn't get any of the major firms to even give us a price quote.  Now that we have found a company and have security installed, we are getting calls from every security firm around.  I added our number to the do not call list but it doesn't take effect until 30 days from now. 

Another thing, we have to call the Chronicle every day to have our paper delivered.  With newspapers trying to hold onto a diminishing customer base, you'd think someone could get the paper here.  Only day we didn't have to call was on Sunday.  Maybe we should change to just the weekends and see if that makes things less complicated.

I think I met the door repair man with jelly on my face this morning.  Not that I'm all concerned how I looked to a man wearing crocs, black socks, t-shirt with arms cut off and holey shorts.  But you know jelly especially when it is strawberry can quickly be blended into ones cheeks for that sun kissed bronzed look.  It is a little sticky but it gets the job done.  I attracted a trail of ants though while I was outside with him.  Now, the A/C guy will come in a couple of hours to look at something in the casista bedroom and then Pottery Barn between 4:00 and 6:00. 

When did mattress pads cost $120.00?  I couldn't believe it!  The cheapest one at Macy's started at $80 bucks.  I took myself right over to Target and got the good old fashioned $20.00 kind.  Just need something to cover the thing, not add padding.  I also found some $4.50 pillows to put in shams. 

Tomorrow the second couch for the family room is delivered.  I thought it might be a couple more weeks.  The little secretary desk, or would the politically correct thing be to say is administrative professional desk, should be delivered sometime in the next few weeks.  Then I need to look for some accent tables since the pedestal table isn't going to work too well in the family room. 

Buddy is getting suspicious about our in and outs certain doors.  I am trying to keep her on the innocent side of knowing how a front and back door work.  Roy and I have a tedious exit process right now.  When the door guy came, I did open the front door because I knew Bud was in the back of the house, but I think she got a glimpse of it opening.  That crafty cat has about 3 hiding places now.  She can't nap on the bed like she used to.  It keeps me on my toes. 

It was so refreshing to be back in choir rehearsal last night.  My soul and spirit were ministered to and afterwards I got my fellowship on visiting and laughing hysterically with friends.  It dawned on me around 9:30 that I still had a 30 minute drive awaiting me.  Think it will be a good thing because that time on the road helped me unwind.  I am usually pretty wired after Wednesday night choir.  In fact it was Roy who kept waking me up last night asking questions.  He woke up late this morning and when I finally arose, I felt as if a truck had run over me. 

Back to my cleaning.  It is beyond me how so much dried out prairie grass gets into the house. 

No comments: