Thursday, November 9, 2017

Adventure Awaits...Or Adventure Can Wait

Good morning! The not usual sound of sirens awoke me this morning. Usual for Texas living, not so much around here. The view from the front bedroom today is one of my favorites in that the mist lies low in the valley but not covering the whole landscape. The neighbors trees are changing rapidly from faint autumnal colors to a vibrant display before they simply release themselves from the tree and fall to the ground. It is such a joy to experience an actual fall.

Yesterday, I decided to go to Micaville and visit the One of a Kind Gallery. It is one of my favorites. The goal, to buy Christmas gifts and I'll admit...I found something for me too. The drive was kind of a misty then rainy back to misty kind of drive. But...there was about a mile or two that was totally socked in and foggy. It was so dense and thick that the only guide to keep me going was watching the white line on the side of the road and hope that anyone ahead of me had turned on their lights. So thankful it was just a short span on the road. I stopped in downtown Burnsville on the way home to peruse a little antique shop I like and then going to what used to be an antique shop that had an enormous amount of books. The owner has downsized her space doing away with the antique portion and she has come to the decision to sell or just close down the store by the end of the year. The owners sister has a cute line of sheep cards that I have purchased over the years...I'll be sad to see them go. I happened to go there because at the previous antique shop mentioned in the above paragraph I found a Gail Godwin book as well as a signed copy of a Wilma Dykeman book. In the great book purge of 2011 I let several books written by Gail Godwin go and now I wish I hadn't done that. Funny, I had been talking to Peggy and had said I wasn't buying anymore books for a while. So, guess this has to be looked as a serendipity. I headed on to the jewelers to pick up watches that needed new batteries. Think about five had bit the dust over a good bit of time. Then I came on home to fix breakfast for a late lunch and I began going through books and sorting the keepers and the ones I'm sending onto good homes. I hate to admit that a basket of books and such that had gone and returned with me from last year to keep me entertained while recouping from bilateral knee replacements hadn't been touched since returning in February.

Yesterday marked the sixth anniversary of my mother's homegoing. Out of the pain and despair of Alzheimer's but I miss her. She would have loved NC and all the colors and plants and trees. Oh my goodness, she would have loved watching the birds in the backyard.

Last night while going through books I found my bound copy of Monablog 2016. I thumbed through it a bit and relived those rehabbing moments from November 15th and on. I didn't write too much but when there were moments that I was awake enough to do so, I had written those things that had made an impact. Those words of fear but knowing the Lord was with me and those moments of frustration that only encouraged me to keep working so hard. And reading and remembering those long dark nights....glad that is all behind me and I have enjoyed the joys of pain free knees.

Well the rest of the morning and afternoon have been spent on worthwhile projects. A closet is neater and the linen closet is better organized. There are several more bags of things ready for Salvation Army, if they are open after the remodel or the nearest charity. I had my first Sprite Zero with Cranberry today and we have officially entered the flannel sheet season.

Yep, last night I had great plans to get up and get going out of the house but I needed today after the fun and adventures of the open road yesterday. I have also stopped by the welcome center of NC recently and I have a few more places to visit...weather permitting before next spring...if not spring road adventures await.






No comments: