Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Peaches, Hay and Cats

 Another foggy morning in WNC or at least in our little valley. The builders across the way put in some gravel to be able to get their trucks onto the property. Looks like good weather ahead for building but we are so appreciative of the rain for our plants and trees. 

We were gone most of yesterday and had some happy campers when we arrived home. Food would be served to them soon enough. All the driving around yesterday rendered me tired and useless for the rest of the evening. 

Part of our travels took us on I 26 and it was so nice to use the newly opened lanes, smooth lanes, easier to maneuver lanes.  

*********

The speed of construction across the way has picked up quite a bit. These are small homes, being built close together but after seeing a tractor cutting the field for hay beginning on Thursday, I wonder if the the rest of that pasture is going to be used for maybe just one home. It would be located near the top like the other house being built over there. A large black screen barrier had been place to mark the land before any construction began. If only four houses are built over there, that seems like a win to us. 

We spent most of the day on I 26 only north of the city. We ordered Amish peaches from Troyer's. Originally, we had planned on getting an earlier start, but waking up at 2:00 am and finally being able to fall asleep around 4:20 took a toll on plans. Worked out though. As we made our way through the TN countryside, the fields were planted in abundance, soy beans (maybe), canola, and lots and lots of corn. During the pandemic, when fertilizer was not in supply, those fields were just about empty. Several of the large family farms and houses were for sale. Not the case yesterday and oh yes, we saw several large fields of tobacco. Troyer's was busy but not bad busy. First time ever we didn't buy bakery or snack items. Guess we are finally growing up. Maybe not though. After our haircuts on Thursday we ran over to Publix. The young cashier looked at our items as he checked us out and said, I want to come home with y'all. I love everything you bought which only made me give the standard response, our grocery cart many times looks like a college student's choice. All day throughout NC and TN the fragrance of cut hay wafted throughout. I think that is just about my favorite fragrance. 

Now it is Monday morning. This morning we caught two of the Feral Fam, but one had already gone through the procedure and the other one, Cutie has young kittens. We saw the kittens last week all packed together in a kitten bunch but in the past few days their presence is more noticeable. I put some food out last night for them, and boom they were all over it. Always fun to watch. 

This is the first time except for the Covid year that I didn't go to the studio tour. If I had gone I would have only gone to see the blacksmith. Have many pieces he has created and gave many as gifts. I did go over to Burnsville to Christy's and a quick pop in at Lamp Post Vintage Market. 

*****

Blogging gets interrupted by life these days. I am not complaining, just a fact. So I will end this endless post with this story. This morning, for the first time, Fido was not at breakfast. When Roy came in he looked upset and distracted. Not a usual for him. He said, Fido wasn't at breakfast this morning. I asked if he had whistled the familiar whistle to bring them to meals. No, but he had whistled and called his name. I suggested we go back outside to see if we could call him in. It was a limited crew this morning, mainly cause of yesterday morning trying to get a kitty for a trip to the ASPCA. I began whistling the call. We saw Toupee back on the gravel road and soon a few other Feral Fam came down the steps and into the backyard. Just as we decided to go back in the house, there was Fido. Called out to Roy, Fido is here. Now Roy will try and make you think he is indifferent to the Feral Fam but don't let him fool you. He got Fido's special dish ready for him and I returned inside to give them some time together. Back in the day, Roy would be amused with me when a favorite wasn't at breakfast or supper...he would humor me or give me a difficult time. He said, now I know how you felt when Feral Fam members are absent. That Roy, he is a good man and I love him! 

No comments: