Friday, April 26, 2024

Weekly Reader, Maybe Two Week Reader

 The morning rain has moved east and supposedly this afternoon we will have a few more showers come in. We took the opportunity to work some outside. Roy put together a fire pit/raised garden ring and I cleaned out some big planters and started our tomato experiment. Is there anything we can't learn from social media. At TJs, they had veggie plants and although it is too early for our area, the call of tomatoes is in the air especially with the warmer than normal temps. This experiment is totally mobile and the plants can be moved easily to warmth and away from frost fear. It didn't take long for me to cry uncle and to surrender to the heat. We placed the fire ring, cut some lilac and came inside. After lunch Roy went back outside to finish the second ring. 

While spring is evident all over the countryside there is a period of time that if you didn't know the season, several tree sprout leaves that are in a fallish hue. Red, gold and light orange. Sitting on the daybed in the front room with the double windows. just seeing those colors brought this to mind. If I had been sick and lost track of seasons and time, it would be quite perplexing to say the least if this was my only view. Since it isn't, I have seen the daffodils and tulips make the early spring entrance, red buds and dogwoods bloom out, peach and plum trees filled with blossoms and now apple trees going from bloom to little apple buds. 

*****

We nearly had another "alarm" incident this morning. Woke up at 3:00 am, couldn't sleep. Got up and read. Roy woke up a little after 4:00 am and we had a regular, not morning before coffee conversation, and that is what threw me off on the morning routine. Cause I am the alarm disarmer but Roy has promised me again and again he always checks the monitor to make sure the alarm is disengaged. Emersed in a good book I hear Roy, maybe yelling my name or is he talking to the cats? It was me whose attention he is calling out for...turn off the alarm! Hurry! Whew! We made it without having to verify with the alarm company that it was a mistake. 

After reading Mildred Budge books, I am going the complete opposite now. Started The Swamp Kings, history of the Murdaugh family in SC. The stories of the family coming into prominence, along with their many faults and flaws goes hand in hand with Jacob and his family. Throughout the narrative we see all the deception and scheming that takes place. Jacob has a divine encounter and change for him begins but it is still in his family, with his sons. 

*******

Ah, the temps of winter return for today and tomorrow. We brought in the tomato plants and covered them against the lows and the possibility of frost. With the rain on and off all weekend everything is looking so green outdoors. Every color of green on the prism is being represented by various trees. Once it gets a little warmer we are going to cut back some plants that have grown behind the hydrangeas and the deck. Have to pick a day like today where it will not be as warm so that we don't have to battle the plant as well as bugs. 

We sang Heaven Came Down yesterday morning in church. Oh my, it has been many, many years since I have heard the song much less singing it. What I remember is back in the day, at an age before I could participate in youth activities at Westbury Baptist, the youth choir came home from a mission trip. They sang all the songs and Heaven was one of them. Ron Lowry was our music minister and he set the joy of singing into many. One that comes to mind is Mindy Scott although many would know her as Mindy Klassen. That Sunday night that was devoted to the report of the trip was probably the only Sunday night I paid attention. I remember how soft the voices were on, "sins were washed away" became bolder with "and my night was turned to day, heaven came down and glory filled my soul." While most memories at WBC are not good, this particular one is. That Sunday night is the first time I heard the song, Amen. 

Yesterday, I posted a blog post from 2009 titled Thank An Admin. I think I do this every year because the truth in it is still relevant as well as truth. I looked at some of the original comments by the admins to look at what life for them now looks like. Interesting, for sure. 

***********

HVAC checkup time. Roy and the tech are outside looking at the downstairs unit. We have two of the three boys put up and it looks like rain. Cooler as well. If we get a chance this afternoon we might put out some of the plants we purchased this week most probably in a raised bed but we might do the bag of dirt thing. 

I think I will close this less than stellar post. It has been a couple of weeks in the making. I like the slow days now. We finally tackled a couple of projects this week. We are also doing a massive clean out. Found tons of stuff that needs to move on. Lots of pandemic interests to keep me busy at home and the truth is, now they don't hold the same interest. So, off they go. 





No comments: