Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Meditations for the A.D.D.

Picking up Roy from the Westin Hotel cost him some money today. There was a line at the Hertz counter and instead of my circling the busy blocks of Hildago, Post Oak, Westheimer and Sage forever, I parked in front of Barnes and Noble and waited for his phone call to come pick him up. I pulled into a space on the front row and seeing that I had the top down, people might assume I would be vacating the parking space. So, I would have to wave and let them know...keep on moving. How distracting! The most natural solution to the problem is to step into the wonderful world of books and book accessories. Even though I have collected Southern fiction for years, I've never been a fan of the "old school" but after several references made toward Walter Pearcy, I needed to see what he is all about. Several weeks ago I bought one of his novels and I've been hooked ever since. This Barnes and Noble had everyone of his novels, so I picked up two, a magazine and a really fun looking journal. I know what you're thinking, another journal I do not need. But it is fun looking! About the time I had paid for everything, Roy called...hey I am thinking God's will and timing. He got home in time to attend XEE at church, but he is dragging butt tired. He and Mike (brother) looked at a lot of rehab places for his mom to move to. Her time is up at the hospital and she hasn't been all too motivated to really start walking again. Roy talked with her and told her she better get motivated. When he told me this I thought, she is probably thinking, oh my goodness, he could unplug me... but she isn't plugged into anything, yet it has to cross her mind.


Buddy and I kept ourselves busy while Roy was gone this weekend. Yesterday, Dena and I had lunch at Lupe's. She got beef tacos al carbon and I got the jalapeno and cilantro chicken. Then we gave each other half in order to get the full culinary juices feeling to our Lupe's experience. After lunch we went next door to Academy and found some work out clothes or they might turn into couch potato clothes, whatever... we found some bargains. We began our search for My Fit Foods or something like that at Shepherd and Westheimer. How hard can it be to find something on that corner when two corners are St. Anne's and an Exxon station. We drove around the Randall's parking lot assuming it would be located in that center. We circled around the block intent on finding some Fit Food, it's frozen and you take it home, when we realized we were oh so close to Empire Cafe...cappuccinos and cake began wooing us to make a right instead of turning left. So much for fit food. We split a slice of Berry White cake. On our way home Dena saw the sign for the fit food but we had so lost interest. Besides how can one go into a place like that and probably have white icing and white chocolate slivers on your chin and discuss eating healthy?


Today I got to have a serendipitous lunch with Dena. I had planned to go to Fu's Garden for some orange chicken after church, but I forgot to bring a book. I decided with no book in hand to go on home and find something there. But Carolyn asked me to go back into the classroom after Sunday School to help Dena get out of a too long of conversation...that is when Dena said, are you going to Fu's? Well I am now, a friend to talk with is much better than reading a book while munching on orange chicken. They seem to always seat us by the large tables where groups of singles or large families from Second are seated. It is so loud, we have to yell to visit. Yep, we were by the big table today but all the big groups were seated elsewhere. I love friendships where you just pick up where you last left off and so Dena and I are never at a loss for words or laughter.


I am going to re listen to my Mark Batterson podcast on routine and this time seated where I can take notes instead of riding a bike at Lifetime. There is so much meat in what he taught. The thought of God is constant, but He is never routine has taken a hold of me. I wonder if Martha's routine was to over do and over produce meals? Jesus wanted to help her get out of the routine. This morning as we were reading Psalm 103 I noticed some verses in Psalm 102: 25-27. The thought is you God are the same and your years have no end. Last night I went back over Exodus 3, the story of Moses and the burning bush. Since Josephus was right there beside the bed, I took a look see to see what the historian had to say. Most shepherds didn't graze their flocks on Mount Sinai because they thought that is where God lived. Moses let his sheep graze there because the pastures were generous with grass since no others came up that way. The NLT starts the story off with the words, One day Moses. One day, doesn't that give hope? Was Moses tired of looking after his father in laws sheep? They weren't even his and all day long it was the back sides of sheep. Was he bored? Had he quit noticing God? Paying attention changed his life. He might have though he was destined to shepherd sheep for the rest of his life. According to Josephus, Moses had quite an exciting life in service for the Pharaoh and now he is being given the opportunity to have an even more exciting and purposeful life in service for I AM.


This is too long so I will wrap it up. I did have this thought today and will leave you with it. Distraction is not a destination. Distractions keep you from arriving at your destination. When we finally arrive, distractions have caused us to arrive tired, poorer, and not likely to listen. A burning bush could be on our big toe and we would never investigate it. We would just kick it away without another thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am about 3 weeks behind on Mark's podcasts....ugh! I, too, like to be in a place where I can take notes!

Hope you are doing well....let's get together for lunch soon!

jené said...

My fit food is just south of Westheimer, someone at work mentioned they are opening a new location at Uptown Park but I don't know when.

Anonymous said...

happy for you and Buddy now that Roy is back...your post has got me hungry...don't know if i want chicken, dessert or just to curl up with a walker percy novel...thanks for reminding me of this guy...haave you read reynolds price?? (i'm jealous for your convertible-especially on a day like today!!!!)