Friday, July 20, 2018

Finally! Friday!

Overcast with a little bit of fog this morning. We got about three inches of rain from Sunday night till last night. I had bought several Carolina Lilies and needed to get them in a flowerbed. So yesterday evening, with a cool breeze and cloudy skies I began the work. First I had to clear out the small flowerbed of these weeds that smell a whole lot like basil but they don't look like basil. And holding true to North Carolina weeds and vines, it didn't want to give up coming out of the ground. Man, I hacked and pulled for a good bit of time, then I tried to get it all cleared up and in a lawn bag before the next stage and of course I was keeping an eye on the sky. Went back to the garage and got a shovel and the lilies. With the rain weed eradication is a bit simpler but it still doesn't help digging a hole into the soil. Moisture seemed to be increasing in the air and off in the distance a little rumble of thunder. Just in case it was just lightning and thunder, I watered the lilies and as I headed up the stairs with my gardening tools, a few cool drops of rain began their descending and as soon as I got into the garage, the heavens opened with rain. Thank you Lord for holding off the rain to safely get inside and thank you Lord for the rain so all the flowers and trees get more nourishment. Now to get some day lilies to finish off that little flowerbed. It was hard work and it made me more appreciative of the three flowerbeds that Nathan and Andrew have put in for us. I have a couple other shade loving plants but where I want to put them needs for a return visit from Nathan and crew...so I better get a call to him and see when we are on the schedule.

Again, there is so much to learn and it has been interesting to learn the way of feral cats and their interactions with one another and sometimes with me. All the chaos going on in the backyard these past two weeks disrupted the mostly quiet and peaceful patch of land known as the backyard. Truly, for all intents and purposes it looked like the kittens had been lost to predators or just life as a wild cat. Cali brought them back for a very short time on Sunday but on Monday she had them playing and napping on the deck which really is the perfect playpen for them. She was playing with them yesterday, but it was more probably a teaching session. In doing some research I found out some useful information in helping them. This morning I brought out the play tube and tunnel in perhaps of using it as a way to trap them and help them. They are kind of interested in it but more interested in nap time. Cali has always had such beautiful green eyes yet more and more she has to use her mean mom eyes and her protecting stare. These totally change her appearance. But every once in a while you see those beautiful Cali eyes that have captivated me since November.
***************
Life certainly has kept me away from the blog this week. I still find myself mesmerized by these kittens. I think the little orange kitten, if he doesn't get over whatever he has is probably not long for this world. It is futile to try and get him. He can still move quickly if he has to and Cali is being an eagle eye for any interaction with me and her little one. Riley jumps around and tries to get him tTheo play, but no dice...he just sits and wants to sleep. He does go out into the yard and gets water but I don't know if he is eating anything. I have tried to trap him so I can get him to a vet but he is not falling for it. Hopefully, he just has a little digestive problem or something cause I saw Cali go through this too.

I got my board cut down to size so the next step is to paint these boards and make that tub space be at least a little useful. Two grocery store trips, a trip to The Baked Pie Company to get tomato pie and I got the last slice and a stop at Reems Nursery to use my bonus bucks. Got some more flowers and planted them in the bed by the driveway. Just watered the new plants cause it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Finally this morning the SS lesson for Sunday came together. In a bit I'll look over the notes more and do more reading. This was a tough lesson to get into but we are back in familiar territory of false teachers.

Since March, Brenda and I have been trying to go to breakfast at Another Broken Egg. We finally got to do that yesterday. We both got the bananas foster pancakes and they gave us complementary beignets to start our meal. We ran over to Barnes and Noble, then drove over to Southern Chicks. I always find something there and that was true yesterday. The find of the day was an old Training Union sign. It is going up on the stairwell with my church sign that I found in a Lincolnton shop.

Well, that lesson isn't getting studied and feeling a tad tired from a fun day...but I'm hoping that little orange tabby is feeling better tomorrow.



No comments: