Wednesday, May 8, 2019

A Few Pet Peeves

My shoulders and arms are speaking to me this morning about the labor they went through planting some day lilys near the driveway. Even with the recent rain the soil is hard. I still love messing around with plants but wisdom says defer to Nathan and company to do the hard stuff. There are a few other plants that I can work with because they are going to be on the front deck in containers. Along with the plants from Reems Creek and Lowe's, I bought a very simple sprinkler at Walmart. The one from last year is iffy at best and until Roy can look at some of the more technical timers and sprinklers, this will have to do.

I love the conversations Dena and I have when she is here. Well, for that matter, I love the conversations that Lisa and I have when she is here but our conversations have a few more dance moments in the midst. Anyway, Dena and I got to talking about different styles of writing and guess that would include speakers and most speakers have a social media presence. So, when authors who are published are complaining with one another on social media about deadlines or edits, that seems a little disingenuous because there are so many that would give their eye teeth to be published or have an editor. I say this as a person who doesn't give a rip about having a book published but it seems like that kind of grumbling could be done on a DM to all the other author friends. Other pet peeves? Well, I am glad you asked....cause Dena and I have them all solved, ha! Speakers who say, "did you see what I did there" after a "witty" or thought provoking statement...uh no, we are all so stupid, we didn't pick up on that turn of a phrase. Gee whiz, come on...This pet peeve carries over into comedy as well. I love comedians that make you think and then give the time in their monologue for their words to be taken in, processed that produce a thought provoking laugh. Comedians who feel they must explain their jokes, yea, they're funny but not a favorite. Another annoyance is the author/speaker that makes the point continually, that their life, even while sharing fun pics, is anything but normal and while the pics might show a fabulous event, behind the scenes things are crazy. Maybe introducing that idea every once in a while is beneficial but every stinkin' time...it gets old. Now maybe it is because I am an older observer but it doesn't seem like everyone believes every life they see on social media. It is fun to see the adventures, it is interesting to hear backstories of frustration or delays but respect your readers...every frustration does not have to be introduced with the disclaimer that life isn't everything you see on Instagram or Facebook or read on Twitter. Until a few years ago, I didn't know that  one of my favorite pics of the nieces when they were very young happened after a few meltdowns in the studio. Finally, my brother told me, the photographer got a great shot. Does that make me like or dislike the picture? No, so that carries over that pictures on FB don't give me a false impression of total and complete happiness all the time. Okay, since I am on the pet peeve jag, one more...please stop making everything a devotion or make everything some kind of life lesson for those of us reading. Every post, every post... is a chance to give direction or my goodness use this old hack, give leadership. It would be nice to enjoy the story without all the insights...that are maybe meant just for you...not to share. And the kicker is this, these devotional thoughts lead right into a cliff hanger sentence that is usually written like this...new things? Can't wait to share with you all the new things that will be happening soon....most likely, the writer forgets to share the new things or we as the readers just aren't that interested.

The contractor called yesterday to verify our choice of stain for the back porch and the next thing, they are here staining the boards that will make the ceiling. There were those tough decisions I had no clue about, smooth side or side with a bit of a bead effect and stain applied by brush or rag. Brush was an easy choice but the decision to go smooth was made when they said that side is a dust collecting machine, thus my lack of passion for dusting made that decision easier. The crew chief in conversation yesterday, told about another project they are working on, removing a patio that was installed improperly. He said this is a million dollar home and why someone would skimp on having the patio done correctly was beyond him. They had been working with jackhammers all morning removing the concrete and today some huge machine had to be brought in to help in removing the chunks. I felt confident they wouldn't be here this morning.
****************************
What is up with Houston and rain lately? Last night between shows, I turned over to the weather channel or I read through Twitter to keep up with the latest. All that rain should be around here on Friday.

Punky looks like she could have those kittens at any moment. She is huge and the normal three that her family usually carries to birth might be more. Strawyer has stuck around her consistently the past few days. My heart goes out to her. I haven't a clue if she has picked out a spot to have them but those cats keep away from the corner tree by the gravel road...which had been a popular hangout spot for them. This morning they did their cat duties and killed a mole. They were having such a great time with that dead thing. It looked like Punky and Strawyer were playing soccer. I hope after they finish playing they put their "toy" up and not leave it as a gift by the backdoor.

We have officially entered the bug season. Fruit flies, gnats, stink bugs and the like...The multiple numbers of gnats is unreal. The dogwood blooms have departed only to be replaced by the beauty of blackberry blooms.

Well, thank you for reading even with all the pet peeves.




No comments: