Saturday, May 11, 2019

Cat Updates But No Shopping Updates

Living between two extremes...that really don't merit attention. There are a group of friends that love reading about the feral cats and since Riley, there hasn't been too much to write about because the joy in watching the Feral Fam has diminished significantly. Then there is a smaller group that seem concerned over my attention to the ferals and think I shop all the time. No one has asked me about this, but contrary to what they believe, I do not shop all the time and also as a person who doesn't put everything out here, which is hard to believe I know, there isn't anything that is worth the time to discuss about the worries of cats and shopping. So, with these two groups in mind, I am going to write this morning about the ferals because there is news to write about in the happenings of their lives.

I saw something last night I haven't seen ever before in the lives of the Feral Fam. And true to the cliche, the weather was brooding last night with winds, a sudden coolness, announcing things to come. Punky hadn't come to breakfast and she has looked liked her time of delivering was near. With being gone most of the day I cannot report on the goings on in the backyard, but last evening, Punky was there with the group. She looked smaller and in hindsight I believe she was having contractions as she scarfed down her meal. With Mama Cat and Mr Meany there, it behooves one to scarf cause those two senior ranking cats will eat everything in sight. The rest of the early evening kept me busy with the chores that have to be done but decided not to water plants since we expected rain overnight. Not too sure that a rain event happened. I came downstairs and is my habit looked out the back window only to notice Strawyer focused and on point with his attention directed toward the back of the house. Taking a further look, there was Punky with half a kitten hanging out of the back of her. She was doing all kind of gyrations to get that kitten out. As Strawyer and I looked on helplessly Punky continued having that kitten and just when it was about to plop out, she returned under the house. Of course I am emotionally invested and wondering if the kitten is stillborn or if this is how cats have kittens. Strawyer continued his sentry duty by attempting to keep Mr Meany at bay. To complete the picture, Camo shows up. Not to see her grandchildren or even to help Punky, she was there to eat...and there were a few scraps left for her to clean up. Since Mr Meany and Camo have a proclivity to killing kittens, I joined in on sentry duty. In the midst of this tense tug of war in cat life, Roy calls to let me know we do have the books I have been looking for and to update the Houston weather....rain, rain and more rain...with lots and lots of lightning. I'm telling him about the scene in the backyard and he stops me because of his low gag reflex and the fact a kitten was hanging out of Punky became too much for him to bear. With dusk quickly becoming night, there wasn't much for me to do...I can't crawl under the house and Punky doesn't trust humans too much. I prayed and entrusted them to the Lord.

This morning Punky came to breakfast and she was kitten free, at least on her body. Mama Cat was there and of course Mr Meany. Mr Meany began fighting with Strawyer and then Punky...thus the name Mr Meany and thus the reason I don't like him. My neighbor texted me asking about him because he has been hanging around her house and being disruptive just like he is here but she thinks he is sweet. Oh contrare, friend, he is not sweet. My neighbor is kind of the Gladys Kravitz of the animal news around here and she does a lot of surveillance. She thinks Punky has moved the kittens to a shed on another property. Told her I suspected as such since Mr Meany has caused problems and a hawk seems to know there are kittens to be had. Such an foreboding feeling when the sun is just right to cast the shadow of the hawk as it flies over the yard. Strawyer has puncture wounds on the tips of his ears. Strawyer is getting as big as his father, Dead Beat Dad, and should be able to overtake Mr Meany in the near future.
*****************************
Our Saturday has begun with rain and fog. Good timing because I spent the better part of the afternoon planting two bridal wreath plants and a plant with a pink flower whose name I have already forgotten. The afternoon began a little overcast but as soon as shovel hit the dirt, the sun came out. I decided to place the plants in the backyard since I should be spending lots of time on the back porch...if it ever is completed. It will be just in the homestretch and sensing completion is near and I am so ready for it to be done.

Since this post is about the cats and not so much shopping, I felt this morning as if I was being watched...well, I was. Mama Cat was almost to the window on the porch looking in at us. She is probably wanting something to eat but with all the rain happening, there won't be an attempt to get out there anytime soon. Well, Mama Cat was rewarded only by the presence of Strawyer and got them fed. Now onto other meaningful endeavors. Started doing some cleaning around the house and a thought came to mind this morning over next week's Sunday School lesson, so off to research some stuff.

No comments: