Saturday, January 28, 2023

Ode To A Week

 Our snow day was more like a snow morning. Not complaining but thankful for a little snow and then a lot of clearing by the afternoon. Today, the beauty of a coolish to coldish morning with bright rays of sunlight. All the windows that face south are letting the bounteous beauty stream into the rooms, especially upstairs. Seems like all The Boys have found a window to bask in the warmth.  Mr Mo upstairs and GMoey and Willie downstairs. Willie Tonka is growing so quickly it seems. He is also more trusting. He realizes that we aren't putting him up every time one of walks by. Last night he even sat in my lap without an invitation and just now he sat on the end of the couch for some pets. We have made huge strides. Mr Mo is becoming my lap cat. Sometimes I feel like he gets the short end of the deal. Willie wants to play constantly with him but naps and sits with GMoey, who will take Willie down a peg if he is just the least little bit rowdy. This morning as most mornings, Mr Mo and Willie come a greeting when I open the bedroom door. Roy gets up earlier and he closes the door so that The Three can't come in and wake me up. The best decision we made was, no sleeping with us at night. Loved it with Buddy, but for years I slept only an hour at a time, with the persistent wake ups from her. 

Started studying this morning on this week's lesson. I will touch base on last week's lesson a bit and then go right into Chapter 7. Bread in chapter 6 and living water in chapter 7 with a whole lot of accusations and questions going on before we get to the part we are supposed to teach. Loving, loving the context we cover in these lessons in John. I saw that after we finish John, Jeremiah and Lamentations in the summer. Oh boy but I ordered study books this week, really early, not to compete with other teachers doing the same thing. 

Checked in with friends from Houston to see how they fared with the rain and tornadoes. So far, all is well. 

I found out a couple of months ago one of my favorite artists from the area has passed away. No way we could afford her original work but we did buy some prints...that were pricey but we brought the prints home, had them framed and they gave me great comfort to see scenes of this land I love. Those prints keeping me company in Houston keep me company as well here. Many of her prints were from acreage that the Biltmore owns. The amber grass of winter and fall, the flowers of spring and summer and always the blue skies. 

****************

I never got back to the blog this week. Willie had his surgery and we are coming to the end of his segregation of play with the others. Houdini had his collar of shame off before being home for any amount of time. We put his cat onesie on him and we have a leash attached to the onesie. We had plans to be out most of the day today but punted on that when we realized that the Boys are not back to normal yet. Mr Mo is having a difficult time and has regressed on all the progress that had been made with his attitude toward Willie. Willie just got his last dose of medicine, so we are on the road of less supervision and freedom once again for them all. I guess for us as well. Roy did yeoman's duty yesterday. I had a couple of things on hold at Christy's Crafts and since she was open I made the trip out that way. The drive is beautiful and the gift as I was leaving, two deer grazing in a field. Maybe the better gift is, no one behind me so I could catch a few pics. We see deer and turkeys many a day but it still is so special. After having such a fun conversation with Christy and then with one of her local friends that arrived right before I was leaving, brought about memories while driving back to Burnsville. Earlier in the week I came across the "grandmother" book that my mom made for me. She was doing books for the girls and she wrote by hand in a notebook for the me, the contents of the grandmother memories. I was thinking, she didn't write anything really personal to me in the book and then I saw the deer. As soon as the photo shoot was over, the thought hit me, she wrote it all out in her handwriting. That is a personal note if I've ever seen one. She had also included several black and white pictures. 

Talked to Roy once the phone had coverage and he encouraged me to go onto Lamp Post Vintage because Willie and GMoey were asleep and Mr Mo was behaving. Did a quick stop and found a couple of cute items as well as two more jars of apple jam. Checked in with Roy and he asked if I would stop on the way home at Ingles and pick up a few items on his list. Well, yes, it will be a joy. So a stop in Mars Hill and since I was that close to Marshall, I made a stop in Penland's. My friend Georgette, it was her week to work, so we had a great visit. Then I came home. A much longer jaunt than I had planned. Delivered the cold stuff at home, then ran to Brenda's real fast to drop off a couple of things to her. Then, I went on duty with The Boys, giving Roy a bit of a deserved break. He knows I try to limit my coming and goings in January and through about half of February. Been working since 2009 on the advice of the Houston cardiologist. 


No comments: