Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Genesis, Playing In Ditches and Football

 Let's see, we had black eyed peas, collards, and ham for NYD lunch. We were going to fix cornbread but we got our timing out of sync, so we punted on the cornbread. We might cornbread tonight, though. The day is a bit laid back. We are not even watching football. Since it has been a while, I am breaking out the lesson for Sunday since we will be back into a systematic study of Genesis. Thinking to do a brief introduction and then go right into where we should be and that is Noah and the Ark. Should we sing Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory, Glory? 

Mr Mo and Willie finally gave up their wrestling match and have returned to their corners, well, Willie is on the highest perch of the cat tree and Mr Mo might be back on the heating pad. It is not turned on, yet. 

We are in the part of the year where for health reasons we skip out on big church. Too many germs and as this has been my practice since 2010, I continue with great success. Our class is very conscious of each other's health and take precautions. 

It looks like all the homes that are being built are in the final wrap up stages. The far home has been under construction for two years and the big home built across the road, up in the corner might be finished as well. Finishing touches on the two small homes in front of us with one of them under contract. Again, so close to the road with lots of noise and fast drivers. Mary Joyce's daughters and son in laws have been working inside her house this past week. I still find myself looking over to her house to see if a light is on or if she is sitting on her porch. 

Kind of ironic that a social influencer guy, kind of a pastor guy is writing on New Year resolutions and his take on them is that most resolutions are self centered. But this guy is working so hard to look young. He is middle aged, has the hair style, he stays on the lean side and he works hard at looking like life is easy. He is divorced and married a much younger woman...so he probably be working really, really hard to stay on that youngish side of her. As Steel Magnolias said about age, time walked right on across the face. It is an uphill battle with no victory. Soon enough it all catches up to you and time has passed you by...across your face and wherever else. Now for me, I try to look presentable except for when I am playing old lady outside working and nothing I am wearing matches. 

******

Good morning! Sunny and warmer today, in the forties. Roy is going to work out today after having to skuttle his plans toward the end of last week of going to they gym. It should be nice and crowded today. He'll pick up some strawberries afterwards and for this I am glad. I'm eating mandarin oranges from a single serving container with eggs. Actually, it has been quite refreshing. No added sugar and we drain the juice. 

Today is my friend, Carole's birthday. I was reading her post recently on FB as she and a friend find different places and trails to walk. She wrote about playing in ditches when she was a kid and it just so happens I was thinking about playing in ditches as a child. Only, I was forbidden to do so. You know where this is going...anyway, we are in Genesis 6 on Sunday...Noah's Ark and judgement. The Lifeway commentary mentions those forbidden things and the writer is reminded of a childhood sin and judgement. That is how I got to thinking about playing in ditches. Houston is filled with bayous that drain into the Gulf of Mexico. In neighborhoods many have big ditches, they weren't quite a bayou but these weren't little culverts that can run alongside rural roads. Walking to elementary school, I had to go over a bridge that straddled a ditch. Always so tempting to stop cause some of the best weed flowers grew along the side of the banks. When there wasn't much water you could see all the treasures that people had dumped into it. My mom let me know that coming home from school I was not to stop but keep on walking past the temptation to wander into the vastness of what looked to be a lot of fun exploring. I kept that promise until the day I didn't. My best friend Leah Rae, her brother Brian and I had been exiled to their backyard by their mom. It was a summer day. The swing set soon lost our interest. We moved over to a pile of discarded stuff and we all knew that this junk would not build into a fort even as we tried every time we were exiled to the backyard. As we looked for something else to do, Leah Rae suggested we go out their back fence straight into the ditch. I was hesitant but the loophole in my first grade mind was, well I am not walking home from school. Of course the Bible verse resounds in hindsight, be sure your sins will find you out. Brian, younger than us by a couple of years, in the midst of exploring, slid down the bank into the murky water that probably was all of an inch or two deep, but it did the damage. Muddy socks and shoes. They weren't supposed to play in the ditch either...suddenly Leah Rae remembers. She tells Brian to take his shoes and socks off and we will use the time honored Indian way of cleaning socks. Uh, I kind of doubt now that it had anything to do with Indian lore or wives tales, but she told us to pick buttercups and use the yellow pollen on the inside to clean those socks. Don't waste your time doing this cause it didn't work. In our haste to hide our sin, Mrs. Montgomery calls out that it is time for them to come in and for me to go home. I was feeling pretty good about getting away with ditch exploration cause I wasn't muddy per se but I was a little dirtier than just playing in a backyard. There was no reason to cause Mom any undo stress, so no mention of this falling into temptation and there was a little bit of repenting and praying as I walked home. Well, my mom was waiting for me on the driveway. Her face told me that the jig was up. She knew. Drat the telephone! Drat Mrs. Montgomery! Drat that Leah Rae and Brian had ratted me out!

Well, no Alabama and no Texas in the Natty. Roy wanted Michigan to win. I was torn...in any loyalty to be a fan for several hours for either one of these teams. But, Michigan exposed Alabama's weakness and for all the game except the third quarter exploited them. Being in the eastern time zone, it is hard to stay up for games that begin after 8:00 pm. Watched Washington score the first touchdown and that was it. Although, when waking up around 12:30 am, the game wasn't over but Washington had the lead. Very few or even ever have I been a fan of UT, Texas not TN. We really didn't watch LSU play yesterday. Too nervous for them and in the past I have done my part by not watching games. So today, our LSU flag out front comes down until college football season begins again. 

Read there are two and maybe three weather systems in the next few weeks that can bring wintery weather. Yay! Would like to see a little snow but not a blizzard. 


No comments: