Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Shortest Time of The Year

 Day one of official capturing of the other five cats concluded with two caught and one war wound suffered by Roy is the attempted capture of Buster. Good thing Roy had on jeans, isn't on a blood thinner and his determination is still strong to get the others in. He is also current on all his shots. So far, only Mr Mo has come over to me, the rest are hiding or laying low. We shut all the doors upstairs so they couldn't blend in under the bed. I believe all the family later this afternoon will have good naps. 

Later in the evening I realized I had suffered a claw injury. Buster got his back feet against me as I tried to hold on but alas all I have his little puncture wounds that could be used like that children's game, connect the dots. Thus the red little dots showing up on my tshirt. Roy was able to get everyone to go to bed at the usual times. We gave Chubola her meds a little early and then I took my book and ice tea to the room to sit with her. Of all the unexpected things she ate a little, not unexpected and then sat next to me asking for pets. She moved onto my lap. I was so happy cause this is another breakthrough with her. She even moved toward the brush letting me know she was interested. So, we sat there while I brushed her.

Day two of catch those cats in some ways, easier and in other ways harder than day one. No surprise element. Roy got Willie into a bathroom and it sounded like world war III was happening. Roy came out the victor with Willie caught. So Mr Mo and Willie went to the vet. Now only Buster is left and he has an appointment on Monday. We welcome the two days of rest. All these kitties are watching us with side eyes and soon enough that will watching will become a distant memory until this time next year. Oh my. 

We had to miss going with friends for lunch at The Pisgah Inn. Several said how cool it was but a little hazy. That's okay sometimes the haze makes for more interesting pictures. 

*****

We never got Buster to the vet office. We have an appointment in a couple of weeks and we have a new plan but we wanted some time to get him off alert each time we enter a room. This morning even though Baxter got his visit with the vet and the vaccination against this cold stuff, he is sneezing just a bit. Keeping an eye on him. I am in the process of getting all the bed clothes washed from the front room which served as Chubola's quarantine room.  I think I will also use the time to get things ready for recovery after cataract surgery. Having a clear area to get Chubola from underneath the daybed caused me to finally organize books and notebooks. As they say the ADHD brain needs a deadline or an emergency to get things taken care of. I have a ways to go being openly more organized but it is always good to make a start. I am so ready for all these little kitties to feel better and return to their life of ease and food on demand. Wait! That didn't change, oh well. 

Our Monday morning began early, well mornings always are early but you know this Monday was having to get out and about in the world. Roy's truck had a service appointment for new back brakes, oil change, all the filters changed, tires rotated and balanced and yearly inspection. Wow, that bill was a few dollars cheaper than the emergency vet bill. I picked Roy up from the shop and we headed toward Weaverville for a few errands. Got all that done and returned home. Then the exhausting Buster hunt and then that about did me in for the rest of the day. The fog yesterday morning was so thick and really never let up anyplace along the routes. This morning we have rain. 

I finished our book club book and I loved it! The story well told based on historical Asheville/Madison County/Buncombe County history. Because of the need to avoid eye strain, I read it in small segments because normally I would have devoured this several weeks ago. 

The first morning of fall is not disappointing. Feels like a corner weather wise has turned. Must resist wearing everything fallish today...boots are calling, no rain is falling...summer retreating...the shortest time of the year has started. 




No comments: