Friday, April 12, 2019

A Little Friday Catch Up

It was not the restful night that was fully intended with an early bed time and a Buddy already on the bed asleep. She had been a little off all day but it seemed that came from her chill pill for the visit to the vet on Tuesday. It has been a little while since she has received it in her food and treats. Buddy seemed to be doing better without the added drugs and it seemed the vet has more of a palliative care in mind for Buddy. But Buddy has life in her, she plays, is interested in the ferals outside and jumps onto and off the bed many a day. So last night, I thought maybe would be Buddy's last night with me. She wouldn't lie down, when I looked for her she found herself in some of the most unusual places and she just gazed at the dresser or a chair. We went downstairs for some treats and because it w as nearly 1:00 am I didn't stay with her, instead I ascended the stairs, went to bed and finally fell asleep after praying for her. You can imagine the surprise in those first few moments of deep sleep of something jumping onto my face...I gave out a mini scream that startled Buddy. She never gets on the bed via my nightstand but last night was a first. She wanted to sleep on top of me, I am not a back sleeper, so we had many attempts but she finally settled into her natural position on my arm. When her head gently touched my hand, I felt sure we had a settling down. Of course then my weary brain goes into gear checking every few minutes to see if Buddy is still breathing. Finally, we both drifted off into sleep and this morning I was awakened by the whiny meow of Buddy. She seems to be back in sync. Opting for front porch time over treats which is not unusual on these beautiful spring mornings.

The guys finished the flooring part of the new back porch and while I am immensely happy it seemed that all the outside cats were happy as well. It was much easier playing laser light tag with Punky last night. Of course Mr Meany took ownership, well, that is until Mama Cat came along and pulled out a can of whip a$$. It is always a pleasure to see Mama Cat pull rank and put him in his place. Without seeing Camo for over a week she might be the only original member of the Feral Fam to be still living, although Camo could still be lurking about and just not at times I'm watching. I really like Strawyer and he seems to be less afraid around me. He comes and goes out of the garage when I'm out there working.

Yesterday was National Siblings Day on Facebook. Loved seeing all the siblings of friends in old or recent pics. After having a wonderful visit with my brother a week or so ago, the gratitude I feel is overwhelming. Like most brothers and sisters, we fought in our growing up years with maybe a few hours of pleasant play time thrown in not knowing that those hours were the seeds of hope we would grow up and get along. Over the past couple of years our conversations have progressed as we still process "what the heck was that" childhood. With the help of others, both professional and non-professional, our process talk diminishes with each conversation as we continue to grow into the people we were meant to be. One thing for sure, we both know the red flags of triggers and we seek to as in the words of Barney Fife, "Nip them in the bud." Once you have experienced first hand from one of the meanest people ever to populate the earth, you have attuned eyes for when someone exerts or tries to exert control. Those subtle and not so subtle attempts to manipulate small incidents of today for a greater surmount of tomorrow are top priority to untangle yourself from. We have both made that mistake but as we mature and grow old, the incidents of being taken unaware prove less and less and our speed to run from such encounters has increased. We both have different triggers but one of mine is when someone takes a bit of truth and spins it into one fantastic and devious fabrication. No one seems to question the statements and stories...mainly due to the aftermath that happens when one confronts.
*************************
Friday morning and the crew is hard at work. The past few weeks the work has started around 8:00 am but this morning it was closer to 7:30. I was so surprised to see the deliveries that had been made while being at church yesterday. I had stopped by home to put up the meatloaf that came home with me to see the delivery and then I headed out in the truck to Lowe's for a few needed items. I had just pulled in to Reems Creek when Roy called and I needed to get home to give Bruce a check. Pulling in I maneuvered past trucks and supplies. A whole crew was here and working on the porch. Not a bad welcome at all.

So, I kind of broke with my guidelines on porch decor yesterday. I do not want to go the predictable route of wicker, wicker and wicker for the back porch and especially if it is white but I saw a couple of smallish chairs with minimal wicker and sunbrella cushions and ordered them. Patio furniture can be so wide and clumsy and having gone that route with the courtyard at our Katy home, totally have been looking for something different. I am still on the search for other items but those searches are at antique or consignment stores.

This has totally been an ADD kind of day but at least stuff is getting done...almost have the great clothes exchange done and felt kind of safe putting up the comforter until next winter. I feel a little nap coming on and it might be difficult to sleep but that's ok cause there is progress being made.

No comments: