Monday, April 22, 2019

Last Week Catch Up

We had a rather loud boom of thunder a few minutes ago and I think we all were startled. Especially the guys working outside on the porch. Now that it is covered and they tar papered it yesterday, they are doing some work under the cover. So with thunder and the continual noise of the saw, giving me the thrill of feeling like I'm at the dentist, all in all it is a good start to the day. Which by the way began early because one Ms Buddy Lee Beardsly couldn't keep settled from about 4:00 am on. Of course right now she is settled on my lap and making typing an adventure.

I switched plans between Wednesday and Thursday, so yesterday, early on the road to Johnson City. I feel so Andy Griffith Showish when I say Johnson City...guess thinking of Siler City. With the Houston trip postponed and planning on loading up at the Kroger in Houston, going to the Kroger in Johnson City was the second best option. Since the Kroger is located right across the way from ETSU, the earlier to shop the better. It's kind of a mishmash in how the store is laid out but when there are tons of shoppers and half of them college kids, it is bedlam. Fortunately I had picked the right time cause we were all old ladies shopping at the Kroger. With that shopping done it was on to other stores, skipped Academy which is a usual stop but it seems life is turning away from always stopping at an Academy store. I went to Kohl's, which is not a usual stop, looking for something in particular. I didn't browse the whole store but when I was just about to give up, I found what I came looking for. When checking out the clerk asked if I would like to open an account. No, I go into Kohl's about every two years or maybe it is every year and a half. There was a Kirkland's next door, so a brief walk thru seemed like a good idea. It has been years since I've been in a Kirkland's, saw some cute things but nothing that needed to come home with me. Next stop, Barnes and Noble. Didn't see anything there either which is hugely disappointing cause coupons and a gift card were in my purse. By this time, it was lunch time and so over to Ole Guacamole. After having a delicious lunch it was off to Mountain View Amish store and I took the back way. Eastern TN is adorned by red bud, dogwood and other blooming trees. I should have stopped and taken pics of the really big trees on University Park Blvd. I drove that route twice and enjoyed the visuals on both trips. The wind picked up along the route and by the time I was back on the road to return home, it was rather gusty.

Upon returning, the crew was finished for the day on the back porch and Nathan and crew hadn't been here yet. That worked out beautifully for the parking situation which is so limited and by the grace of our neighbors, let the guys use their gravel road. Nathan and Tristan arrived a little before 6:00 and worked till the sun went down. They got everything planted and we decided to wait on planting the seeds till after this weekend. Should have a frost on Saturday or Sunday morning. I need to get a couple more dogwoods and a red bud tree...and hydrangeas.

Yesterday, the pics that Bev had drawn of Cali, Riley and Strawyer arrived. I couldn't wait to open the envelope and did so in the post office parking lot. I teared up...didn't totally cry but somewhere between the two, I did. The picture of Riley...I think it brought closure to her saga. I haven't seen her in weeks but it has felt like she is gone from this world. Then after watching Straw and Punky...it dawned on me that they never go up to the corner of the fence by the gravel road anymore...that's where Riley liked to hang out...just like her mom. Straw and Punky made that area their playground. Even with the rain we've had, just their playing and roaming about kept the greenery at bay. Now, it is so overgrown. Something must have gotten Riley up there, even Mr Meany doesn't go that way anymore...when he goes up that way, he goes way wide. I carry such a sadness for that little Riley, We were oh so close to giving her a much better life and I failed her. Did she feel totally alone and rejected? Had she turned to me in desperation, against all her natural instincts? She had her kittens, but they didn't live long just by amateur observation.

******************
Well, the stomach bug got me Saturday morning and knocked me out of commission. Sad to miss Easter service but good to rest and get rejuvenated once again. Buddy even cooperated.

No comments: