Thursday, April 4, 2019

24/7 It Is All About The Cats

Strawyer and Punky have found the front porch and the desirability it holds for the morning sunshine and comfort from the rocking chair cushions. They are keeping Buddy occupied and they are all content to just look at one another from a distance through the screen...not tear up the screen like Mr. Meany. Since he wasn't around, I did sneak a meal to them. Strawyer is coming into the garage more and more so we shall see if this leads to anything.

There was this glimmer of hope that Mr Meany had moved on because his mean presence didn't show up...well, that is until late yesterday afternoon. Punky and Strawyer are still around now and then and the past two days Mama Cat has shown up for a little snack. I am not feeding the cats as much and when the temps were in the 20's this week, I lifted the do not feed often tag because they need the food to help keep warm. Sadly, I have not seen Riley in over a week. I am trying not to go straight to the thought that she might not be in this world but it wouldn't surprise me. She had been acting strangely, not herself. This made me think that maybe she had lost her kittens especially when Mr Meany showed "dating" interest in her again and she reciprocated interest. I think the last time I saw her she was heading down the gravel road. With the construction as an added anxiety, this might have affected her. I hope she still has her kittens and moved someplace where she felt safe but my gut tells me otherwise. I feel horrible not getting her back to the vet. She trusted the human against her feral way and I let her down. I was looking through her pictures today and got teary eyed...that little kitten with the big ears and paws. the pink and black nose and that puny little meow. Those two months that she came into the garage were such pleasant ones while we played and she let me pet her. Life as a feral is so difficult yet Mama Cat and Camo live on....beating the odds.

This morning was a bit unnerving as Buddy got her leg caught in her collar. She was under the bed but I had changed her passage ways, not on purpose, but because of spring cleaning. I could hear her making a strange noise and she came out from under the bed and went to the hallway. She was lying on her side moving in a strange fashion. I picked her up and put her on the bed and only realized then she had her collar around her neck with one leg in it. As I tried to unclasp the collar she was fighting me tooth and nail and my hands bear the brunt of her defensive moves. I moved us away from the new white bedspread and into the front room. Got a pair of scissors and set her free. Once we were in the chair she quit fighting me and realized I was trying to help. She jumped off my lap but returned in a minute, seeming contrite and wanting a little head rubbing...what better way to celebrate release but with treats, so downstairs we went. Scared me that little episode. Wore her out but it changed the plans for the day to go to Hendersonville to do some labs. That will have to wait until another day.

Well, it did lead to another thing...see first paragraph...Strawyer and Punky came inside the garage and ate their supper tonight. Strawyer did a lot of exploring and I think he discovered the hidey hole of long ago of Riley's. He and Punky were able to eat undisturbed by Mr Meany.

Roy and I came to a decision today for me to cancel my trip to Houston. With the construction and the workmen to come into the house to complete work later in the process, we decided I needed to stick around especially since the building plans are fluid and subject to change. It was disappointing to let Houston friends know I won't be making the trip, Lisa even volunteered to come back but I told her she would be bored because we would have to stick around the house. Well, we are never bored but maybe cabin fever especially with the best part of spring ahead of us. Now to see if I can attend the luncheon next Thursday since the deadline to sign up was Sunday. In six or so weeks though, I will be so very, very happy I stayed home for the progress of the porch.


No comments: