Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Fun, Chores, Fun, To Do, Laughter and Some Sadness

Image may contain: sky, mountain, tree, outdoor and nature





These past few weeks have held fun, chores, fun, to do list, fun, laughter and some sadness thrown in. Thus when all these things come together it seems like writing takes a backseat to the immediate. Oh from time to time notes were jotted and thoughts were constructed but nothing very disciplined. The evenings held time to write but after busy, long, fun-filled days, the energy to write dissipated thus games of tri peak solitaire and checking on Facebook and Twitter became the only activities on the computer these past few weeks. Today, although there are many things that need to be done, I'll take a little time to blog. I would say this morning but it is already afternoon. I did ease into the day slightly and firstly by waking up at 8:45 am.

Back to the way back, June 25th, I left for Gatlinburg TN. Lisa was there with First Worship at the Worship Life conference. The First Worship Team led the conference's morning worship and several also led breakout sessions during the afternoon. Since I 40 is a nightmare of construction, think I 45 Houstonians, the longer, scenic route called out and I accepted the call, only after checking with a few friends that gravel and narrow roads were not involved. They assured me, curvy, scenic roads awaited...with a few hairpin curves. The hairpin curves did not worry me cause in hindsight, I have driven on a lot more sharp curves but not knowing ahead of time, tight curves are about sixth on the list of top ten driving conditions I don't like. The road trip to Gatlinburg began around noon and the drive was breathtaking and panoramic. This was the first time in several years, in our tourist years, that I have driven through Cherokee and memories of those drives of long ago flooded my mind and soul. Then the drive through the National Park began and it seemed the good thing to put down Mustang Sam's top and enjoy the sights, breezes and fragrances of the mountains. It seemed like no time at all and the descent into Gatlinburg surprised me. Not surprising, all the traffic, both vehicles and pedestrians. Brenda had told me the route would just about drop me at the hotel and she was right. Texted and called Lisa while checking in but hadn't heard anything. So, I decided to go across the street and get a sandwich. Low and behold, right across the street stood Lisa P. Thank you Lord! She was coming back from lunch and sat with me while I gobbled down a sandwich. With a little rest needed from the trip and the heat there, we decided to meet up a little after 5:00 to walk about and have dinner. I hadn't officially checked into the hotel, just getting a parking pass, so when I went to the front desk they graciously upgraded me to a suite...sweet! Had a great view of the pedestrian bridge and the tower that kind of looked like the space needle in Seattle.

We ate our supper at the Cherokee Grill. Wow! The food was not touristy at all but it was fine dining in a casual setting. Our meal exquisite and delectable. I ordered the prime rib special and it was delicious. The desserts, well....fabulous and so tasty. We filled up on good food, maybe overfilled on good food and began our walk about. Inez had told us about a jewelry shop she likes there and we were fortunate that the owner had work to finish up, so she hadn't closed her shop at 7:00. We both found lovely items. We also walked across a bridge we could handle...over a small creek and we sat in an Edith Ann chair for photo ops. Such a lovely evening and the best, the next morning the conference started at 10:30. That is great planning! Met Lisa the next morning for breakfast. We both ordered the same meal, the junior-senior. You had to be under the age of 12 or over the age of 50 to order it. Four mini pancakes, eggs and bacon with your drink included. Now there is a deal!

The worship was so real that morning. I had been able to go to sound check, so I knew the music planned for that morning. Worshiped the Lord in practice and for the real. So powerful! I had been able to see John Bolin the day before and again, on the sidewalk of Gatlinburg. Such a joy to be able to call him a friend. Got to see Dora, David and Emma and made new an acquaintanceship, Ana.

After their set was over, Lisa and I left for home with a few detours thrown in for fun. Of course the drive through the National Park was fun. We tried to do Clingmans Dome with a few thousand of our best friends but the amount of people and the heat did me in and we were fortunate enough to get a parking place to take some pics. Each year I forget until the heat arrives how devastating it is for me. Fall, winter and spring...a walk in the park, feel good, have energy...the heat of summer arrives and my heart is working hard, energy zapped and that all familiar light-headiness sets in. It is the only time I retain fluid, summer. After a month or so I acclimate and thankful that the heat here is nothing like Houston, but it is difficult so many times for me to accept that the heat is my kyrptonite.  Lisa and I did experience such a treat, an elk, a young male elk took his leisure in the park along the side of the road and then crossing the road, I suppose to get to the other side. We got pics and Lisa took a video. After taking another detour through Cherokee, we headed over to Haywood Smokehouse for some fine Texas BBQ and some dessert. Ya gots to do that on vacay or staycay on my part. I will stop here for now, better get back to my chores...which are not as fun....


Image may contain: Lisa Pierre, smiling, sitting, tree, outdoor and natureImage may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

No comments: