Friday, February 21, 2020

We Finally Got Some Measurable Snow

I'm waiting on the snow that was supposed to start before sunrise this morning. When I woke up, I looked out the window to see normal conditions. Off and on throughout the morning there has been a few noticeable flakes drifting downward but nothing of merit. Now the forecasts are delaying the snow arrival, with warnings of deteriorating conditions beginning this evening and into the morning with the dreaded black ice forming along the roads. It seems that we live off a primary road so salting and clearing the road would take priority. The snow reports are coming in from the Balsam area, which is well known for the abundance of snow, more than other areas. Yes, once again, we are thankful for the people that made a better offer on the house we put an offer on...in Balsam. Yes, the Lord watched over us and kept us from making that huge mistake. Just looked out the window and snow skies have made their appearance and tiny, little flakes are falling, not drifting.

Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons have been spent up at the church house, in our Sunday School room. On Tuesday, I changed out one of the bulletin boards. Truthfully, this is not in my sweet spot so to speak. So how can one go wrong with a road map of Israel, Bible verses and a few decorative accouterments? Oh and a teal border around the board? I also began cleaning out shelves. On Wednesday, the afternoon was a lot more fun with Judy and DC there. We got halfway though the second bulletin board, finished cleaning out things and generally trying to make the room seem not so sterile and unkempt.

It is now late afternoon and the snow was late in arriving but has been cranking out the flakes for hours. The snow tapers off this evening. It is beautiful and although snow covers a lot, it is not that quiet kind of snowfall. I have been trying to get those little stubborn ferals into the garage. Strawyer hasn't been around for a couple of days but he showed up this morning. The kittens...well, I think they are under the house but who knows. I've seen a few of the cats that I don't particularly like, well normally, but when it is cold and snowy...I make the effort to make sure they are fed to help them as they burn calories to keep warm. Yesterday in the checkout line, the cashier who has ferals and I visited a bit while she rang up groceries and cat food. I asked her about her cat she has been trying to get trapped, and he had died last week...hit by a car. I told her about Mr. McBeavy who was hit last month. We both had a few tears drop as we lamented the way these cats work their way into our lives and then how they leave an empty place, especially when they are just so darn stubborn.

Tuesday morning, I went to Walmart to pick up some bulletin board type supplies. Two guys at separate times fawned over the Mustang. It didn't use to make me nervous, but I've been reading about the uptick of crime here. Lots of break-ins and I'm just wondering if the car in our driveway last Friday night was a potential attempt? I don't know but I am going to become one of those "no turn around" sign people. I have them in my cart on Amazon. This morning I set off the alarm...first time ever here or in Texas that I have done so. I need to put a sign up to remind me. When that alarm went off...it scared Buddy and me pretty good, as well as the ferals outside.
***********
Friday, well, the snow is slowly melting and the roads are thawing and a few people are out and about this morning. All the road reports talk of main roads being clear. Although, I heard there is a patch of ice in front of the Leicester Post Office. Everyone is out in the back, kittens as well as Punky, Strawyer and the gray cat. I don't like the gray cat but he needs food just like the others...it has been a while since a morning has started with a hissing of a cat. Straw and Punk love my flannel pajamas and they were rubbing against my legs while I was fixing breakfast for them.

Since our class is having a celebration Sunday, I've been working on a short but sweet devo thought to wrap up our journey through the Old Testament. I was talking to Roy about the lesson and he told me about a situation he is dealing with...it was just the thing to hear, for direction in how to take us into Malachi for just a brief moment. The conversation also helped Roy to think through things when I gave him one example from our lives that would help with the resolving of this situation in the present. Sometimes when we have a benchmark moment, whether they be good or bad, those moments remind us what we did well and how we went wrong. And most importantly, God's grace in it all, past, present and future.

Well, time to wrap up this post. It's a beautiful, sunny day, but dang it is too cold to go outside and do anything.

No comments: