Sunday, May 24, 2020

RIP Edee Feral Cat







Last night right before going to bed I looked in the closet to see what kind of church outfit I could put together. Most probably we'd be worshiping on the softball field in spite of all the rain we've had this week. So, the outfit would need to be light for comfort but go with tennis shoes. With an idea in mind, I went to bed. Right before falling asleep I looked in on the backyard and the front porch using the security cameras. I saw Edee sitting by the wagon and on the front porch Ranger had found a comfortable place on one of the rocking chairs. Buddy was asleep in the other room. All was well.

This morning I woke up before the alarm went off. Buddy had joined me around 2:00 am and she was asleep underneath a blanket. One of the first things that I do in the morning is disarm the alarm. I checked in on the cameras and noticed Edee was in the same spot as she had been last night, only now she was lying on her side, somewhat awkwardly positioned. Rushing downstairs and grabbing  the key to the porch door, I went outside...all the usual ferals were there looking for their morning treats. Edee, usually the first one waiting and most likely right there on the porch steps, didn't move, didn't lead the charge. Those ferals hear the bell sound on the porch door and like Pavlov's dog, respond to the bell cause food is involved. I threw them some treats, went upstairs and began to brace myself for the job at hand. Out came an old towel to carry her to her final stop and I went to where she lay. I was so thankful nothing had gotten to her, no ants or birds or even flies. Her eyes somewhat rolled back and her mouth slightly open. I petted her cause I had never been able to do that, picked her up and placed her on the towel and ever so gently carried her to on one of the large rocks on the driveway quarry.  I knew she would be buried near one of her favorite spots. It took a couple false holes, till I found a soft area without a lot of rocks and I began the arduous task.



Edee was the last kitten she brought down from the secret hiding place on that what seems like such a long ago October day. Mr McBeavy helped Punky carry down the litter of three black and white cats and one calico. It mattered not whether it was nursing or solid food, Edee was the first to arrive and the last to leave. She was fun to watch. Edee was never too tempted to roam off like the others, she stayed close by. When she was still a little one, she developed a problem with parasites and I got probiotics down them all, pumpkin and deworming medicine. It saved her. I tried to keep them in health by continuing everything but the pumpkin, but you never know how much they are getting when several cats are involved. She was the first cat, outdoors not Buddy, to greet me in the mornings. She waited on the back porch steps for the first round of treats before breakfast. As a little one she hung out with her half brother Mr McBeavy a lot. She was visibly upset when he decided to cross the road and he didn't make it, she missed his presence. He helped Punky so much with that litter.  The kiddos lost a sibling to those dogs that came through the yard in November. She was the first of the remaining siblings to welcome Ranger into the fold. Ranger is their cousin, abandoned by Mama Cat and then left alone when our neighbors were able to get her sibling, the gray cat.  Her brother Andy, well, he either wondered off  or died or was caught. Edee loved her mom and she loved Strawyer. There was a whole lot of head rubbing between them all. Straw and Punk always come and rub around my legs as I fix their food. Edee was just starting to get brave enough to come in that tight spot. She also didn't run for it if I walked through while they were eating. She might move a step or two, but that's all. That Edee, she loved chasing the red laser light at night. In fact, I am happy we got in a few games this week.

I will miss that little calico cat, Edee. Yesterday, the thought crossed my mind that the dynamics with the ferals felt like there was a change. These dynamics change all the time. Punky has dominated for so long, but that seems like it is coming to a close for a bit. She and Mama Cat got into it yesterday, worse than usual. Guess old Mama Cat is trying to get established again.

Today, after burying Edee, I came down and fixed the funeral food for the family. Camo, Edee's grandmother, was even in attendance. And, miracle, she and Strawyer ate out of the same bowl. That never, ever happens...unless there has been a death in the family. Well, I am not sure about that in case of cats, family togetherness after a lot of infighting.

I have cried some tears. As much as a feral cat will let you love them, I surely loved her. She stood out not only because she was a calico but also cause there was a sweetness about that cat.


No comments: