Monday, November 2, 2020

Whole Lot of Planting Going On

 The sound of a huge truck backing up the road toward our neighbors was a slightly disturbing noise. Only in that, you hope for an experienced driver that knows what they are doing backing up a big rig filled with building materials. Work on their new deck must be in the beginning stages. Happy for them to start this project since it has been on the radar for quite awhile. 

Last night our church held its quarterly business meeting. There are things and projects you never know about unless you are there to see the slides and hear the stories. Our men's ministry helps so many by building ramps for wheelchair access to homes and a local business contacted the church to help, along with their monetary donation, with a much needed driveway and for a more elaborate ramp due to the layout of the land...read high up on a slope for a local family. After the business meeting, we had a prayer service led by our property and resource committee for future buildings and ministries of the church. It was a good evening to be with fellow believers. Our pastor reminded us of the Sunday in March where he said several times, we don't know what will happen, we do know to trust God. At the time we formed prayer circles and prayed together. I thought, oh no, they are leaving Newfound, but it was much bigger, being the last service we held for a bit because of the pandemic. Our pastor, deacons and leadership have led us well in these months. 

I just came in from planting more roses. Dug a lot of holes and a couple are nothing but rocks and concrete from other people's projects from back in the day. So, after a couple of non-cooperative places, I found success. Not one to love a uniform look, so different shades of coral and pink roses mixed in with some red drift roses. Hopefully it will turn out well in providing a backdrop of color year round and in the spring tulips, daffodils and the like will come up. After their season is over I will put portable raised beds that I used down in the big flowerbed on top of the ground for summer color. Loved using these cloth raised flower containers but it will be much easier to water closer to the house. 

********

Zeta moved through early this morning leaving lots of flooded streets and wind damage. We faired very well, just tons of leaves have dropped and a few branches. I cancelled my hair appointment and the stylist sent a pic of the road in front of and beside the salon. Totally flooded. After not having a haircut for several months during lockdowns, I'm not as bothered by cancelling the appointment. Especially since I have stopped highlighting. We had a few limbs down but I think the people across the road had some trees fall cause the sound of chainsaws running seemed to be background noise of the afternoon. 

**********

Sunday morning after setting the clocks back last night. I think I lost several hours of sleep due to my restlessness with the thought of four feral cats spending the night in the garage. Hector Protector does this quite often but Radley, Bobsey and Biggio joined Hector. They did really well. Used the litter box and didn't tear anything up. I let them out early this morning and fed everyone. I did all this in bog boots and jammies. I also got the hose disconnected and the winter cover put over the faucet. For good measure I put a heavy piece against it cause the kittens tend to think that this is a play toy just for them.

Preparing for the first freeze of the season. We've had a couple of frosts. Six years ago, Dena and I were on our way here from Houston. It snowed and we couldn't take the scenic back way here from Chattanooga. The snow glistening in the fall foliage that remained was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. I drove and cried tears of joy, thanking God to be able to live here. Dena was coming with me to pick up the keys from Kate to our house. We had closed but she needed time to move and since we weren't going to be here until Thanksgiving, it was not a problem. As we drove along Newfound Road Dena kept saying, this is the road to your house? This is the road to your house? Yes, in all its beauty. We came by and looked at our new home and then headed over to the Inn on the Biltmore Estate. 

This year I never made it to the Blue Ridge Parkway or up toward Grandfather Mountain. Certainly, the trees around here have provided autumn in full color. One of the backroads that I take whenever the chance I get, was resilient in reds and golds. One of my favorite scenes is when either the gold or the red jump out from the background of oranges, reds, greens and golds. Or against the background of no leaves at all. I'll go back and look at autumns past on my phone.  2015 was a banner color year and so was 2020. I still have daffodils to plant for spring color. Our neighbor still has lots of fall foliage on her trees, so I will take it all in while digging little holes. 

No comments: