Saturday, October 24, 2020

Good In Uncertain and Troubling Times

 It was an extremely foggy morning, with warnings from all the weather services to be especially careful while maneuvering roads as the fog congeals, gathers, dissipates and begins retreat. Here at the house we are kind of in retreat mode but the sun hasn't broken through enough for a full on retreat to begin. I can at least see the outline of the neighbors house. 

We had perfect attendance at breakfast this morning. All the kittens, teenagers and older cats gathered. Yesterday, I mixed in a little heavy cream with the last remaining drops of milk and I think they were there and on time merely for the extra cream. This week a few new flavors of food has been introduced, so they are very happy about that. Around the milk bowl this morning the babies pushed out the adults from the bowl. It was a mass milk event and it was quite fun to watch. Now, with full tummies, they will wander off to the nooks and crannies of the yard where they like to take their naps, well except for Punky...that gravel road holds too much attraction for her. 

In CBS core group time yesterday, we finished up chapter 3 of John. I don't think I have ever realized how much John the Baptist influenced others within his followers to become followers of Jesus. John the Baptist evokes thoughts of baptizing, preparing the way and the like, but those broad themes broken down are so interesting. Roy's class is a couple of weeks behind ours so we enjoy discussing the lessons. To be honest, I do much better with a story, so the miracle of turning water into wine held onto me more than the theology, although I love it, of John 3. Roy is more involved with the theology aspect so we have well rounded discussions. Roy made a great observation about the servants at the wedding and Jesus telling them to fill the 30 gallon jars; it took time to fill those jars. Did they take smaller containers and make multiple trips to a well? Certainly, they didn't drag the jars and then drag them back. Filling the jars...time, we can take away that this is like faith and sometimes how our prayers happen. We pray, then listen to what we are to do. Will we really take the time to do like the servants? They saw the miracle, they were a part of that faith that Mary had in Jesus. For me, in Roy's time thoughts, I remembered that sometimes the middle part of anything is not fun. Beginnings are fun, endings with the results are fun...the drudgery of waiting and to be a willing participant of God's plan, are not fun being in the middle. We miss the joy and delights of the middle because we are either too anchored in the past and in the beginnings or we are so anxious for the filling of the jars season to be over.   

************************

Well, I wish I could say that what I wrote about above took root in my heart and was the default setting now. Writing about time and being in the middle and enjoying the moments. The only thing I can say about the following story is that, I didn't act out on my thoughts. That is not of any good of my own. The day started at Reems Creek. I had $35 of blooming bucks to use and somehow in the past the dates for redeeming the blooming bucks has never worked in with my schedule. I went looking for hibiscus but the few plants remaining didn't grab my attention. So I went with what I know, knockout roses. Truthfully, not much has to be known to plant and grow knockout roses. Then to CVS to pick up a prescription and then onto Publix. I have been trying to go there on Monday-Wednesday to stay away from the weekend preps of customers. It was crowded for a Thursday but here of late, Publix seems a lot busier than usual. Anyway, it came time to checkout. First line I stood in had an Instacart shopper buying groceries for three different clients. So that is just like standing in line with four people ahead of you. When it dawned on me, Instacart, I moved to the only other line open other than self checkout and the express line. A mom with three kids, dang! I was fooled, she was also an Instacart shopper with two orders and her own. I wish I could tell you I didn't fume internally. I thought about saying something, you know like have an Instacart lane for those doing multiple orders. Your customers that are coming into the store are being put into a disadvantage. Both times the shopper didn't look Instacart, cause usually they are the ones in tank tops and a general disheveled look. When finally, my groceries were being checked out, I smiled and chit chatted. It does bug me to get behind a multiple order shopper but I think the fact that I needed to wee wee, how adult of a description, probably led to my impatience with the whole situation. 

Mike the Mower Man fertilized the front yard yesterday and I had hoped he would begin on making the new flowerbed. With the temps up a little bit, probably better he didn't. But still, I would like to be able to get the bulbs in the ground. We have another shot at cooler temps next week. I didn't clean out the flowerbeds like I had planned yesterday. I was talking to Lisa yesterday and said I have tons of work to be done in the house, yet, I want to work outside. We both agreed it is the fact that we know there won't be any pop ins so the house can be a little cluttered and maybe need to be vacuumed. Vacuuming, isn't my hold back. 😇

*************

Mike the Mower Man is here this morning making a new flowerbed for me. It is really an extension of where roses, trees and some daylilies have been planted. My work is just now beginning for me. It is supposed to rain this afternoon, so I am going to get started in a little bit. Our neighbors are working their compost pile and getting their flower beds in shape as well. 

Since March I have done a lot of things to keep occupied but not only occupied but I don't know, not productive, but I guess the social distancing thing has made me more open to learning stuff. I have worked flowerbeds, broke up and laid down flat rock, put together a desk, nursed sick kittens, got back into reading, cleaned out closets, and I know there is other stuff, I am just not remembering it right now. Oh yeah, canning peach butter and making strawberry freezer jelly. Fried green tomatoes too. Painted a barn quilt. Good things have come out of uncertain and troubling times. 

No comments: