Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Loving These Autumnal Days

 Today is a chamber of commerce kind of days here in the mountains of North Carolina. The fog was especially thick this morning, even worse than yesterday. I had to get out in it yesterday since I had a 9:00am dentist appointment...more on that later. After breakfast, it was a good morning to go out front and pull dead zinnias. They were quite beautiful this summer and just about one of my favorite flowers. The dahlias are still blooming as well as wildflowers. This morning with a good price and free shipping I ordered two raised garden beds that are easier to work in. Mike the Mower Man was here yesterday and he will be back this week to aerate the front yard and then next week hopefully he will be back with his tiller to make some smaller flowerbeds for bulbs and such. 

A couple of weeks ago during a dental checkup, my dentist saw a new problem with a very old implant. He addressed it not for cosmetic reasons but for good dental health. It is the tooth that broke right after getting married. I did not know red beans had little rocks in them while I prepared one of Roy's favorite dishes. This is one of the reasons I have tried to stay out of the kitchen, where most accidents happen. 😉 So this tooth has had a root canal and then broke again in 1999, to be replaced by an implant in 2000 that had to be redone due to the oral surgeons lack of detail focus. All these years that implant has bothered me some. Dr Hodges saw that the gum was receding from the abutment and metal was showing. So this is an implant, that was probably of a generic brand, that never fit correctly and now in 2020, isn't it so appropriate for this to happen now, has a potentially hazardous problem. So Dr Hodges asked if I could do some research to find out the brand...my research was limited cause the oral surgeon has passed away and no one bought his practice. But my wonderful dentist researched and yesterday said he believed he knew what type it was, that he just had another patient with the same problem, discussed with his brother, a dentist...they are in practice together, and contacted the oral surgeon that did a lot of implant work on me in 2017/2018. Now to take off the old crown, except the screw was stripped in the implant. Nothing was working until Dr Hodges remembered a old kind of hand crank from implants in the long ago. That did it and the rest of the appointment went swimmingly. He declared it officially a good day. He also gave thanks to the Lord for wisdom. Man, I was praying for him the whole time and last night Roy told me he had prayed for the appointment. New crown will be fitted in November. Funny, the year began, January 1st with an abscessed tooth. This has not only been the year of social distancing, it is the year of implants and crowns. I have to be so careful with this implant in the coming weeks because it is a ceramic crown and the dental cement they used is more for newer types. Here is a blessing though, if it comes apart, I won't have to be careful when I smile, cause I'll be wearing a mask in public.

Life with the Feral Fam goes on. The coming and going and changes don't surprise me anymore. Since Cali, Riley and Strawyer, Hector Protector is one of my favs. Although, I think the other day I confirmed Hector to not be a he but a she. Most mornings Hector or Hectoretta meets me as soon as the garage door opens. Before picking up the bowls, Hector needs that petting. I try and pick her up several times a day to get her used to that. Night before last Hector spent the night in the garage by her choosing. I put out a blanket, food and refilled the indoor potty. All in all, she was well behaved up there are a lot of paw prints on the front of Mustang Sam.  

It feels again like a power shift among the cats. Being home so much due to Covid the inner workings of cat relationships is more apparent. I think somewhere along the line one of Punky's black and white kittens and one of Strawyer's orange cats haven't been around which means something probably got them. Punky isn't hanging around as much but makes it by afternoon to eat. Don't know if she misses Straw or what or if she is looking for a change of scenery. She takes her litter with her except this morning, Junior was around. By the afternoon Biggio showed up and likes to hang around with Miss Priss. Got some cute pictures of them. 

*************

Errands are calling out to me this morning. Just have a couple to do. Have core group this afternoon as we study John 2. Think this week's homework has been the most interesting by far. 

Buddy enjoyed the flannel sheets last night. Got a great deal from Macy's and the best...? Little sheep flannel sheets. She stuck around most of the night which hasn't been her habit of late, but with cooler temps she is looking to stay warm. 

Doing the seasonal change out of clothes, taking my time with it because tomorrow we will have 80 for a high. If I get the chance later this afternoon it will be back out to the front flowerbed to continue getting it ready for fall and winter. 

No comments: