Friday, October 2, 2020

His Name, Strawyer



 With great sadness and a heavy heart to write about one of the sweetest cats ever. I named him Strawyer because he loved to sit on the spread out straw I had placed around the porch to keep he, Punky, Riley and Camo warm. He would find the highest straw pile and luxuriate in the splendid softness. Straw and Punky never came near me when they were kittens. They ran under the deck. I started playing with them, using the children's fishing rod to engage them in play. Punky and Strawyer bonded as brother and sister, almost inseparable throughout his life, really just until recently. Strawyer's mother is Camo and his father was Big Daddy. His sister is Punky and his brother Eric, lives on the horse farm above us, survive him. Oh and two young kittens.

The past few weeks Strawyer has been struggling with his tail and back legs. Neighbor Nancy noticed he had an abrasion under his tail. She tried to get him. I had tried as well but for the first time in his life he hissed at me. He hasn't been around for about four days and that is his longest absence. I had started to look around his hangout places because it seemed like in his struggles he might have died. Today, I decided to get away from the cat drama. When I returned home I fed everyone and pretty much was in for the night. I came downstairs and saw Boo looking in the window. Boo is so low on the pecking order in cat world that he usually eats last. When I see that forlorn look, I will go out onto the porch and put treats on the steps for him. I was getting ready to go back inside when I saw Strawyer at the food bowls. Several of the bowls were on the pallets I have out there and at first I thought he was stuck but he began making his way toward the porch, completely dragging his hind end and back legs across the flat stones in the yard. Quickly I ran into the garage to get him some food and I brought the dish to him. I fed him his favorite flavor, beef and salmon. Yes, he was a surf and turf kind of cat.  Hector Protector stood with and leaned against me and the other kittens, Mama Cat and Punky almost sat in a circle around him. Mama Cat began loving and rubbing on him. These two never got along until this last week. I was beside myself, what to do? I called Nancy and asked if she and her daughter could come down and help me get him. I had tried to put him in a carrier but he wouldn't get in and hissed at me. I found the pet playpen, set it up and put a bed and blanket in it. Straw was moving toward the wooden plant chairs he always loved, but I knew he wasn't going to them but heading under the house. I picked him up, without a problem. I held his legs in support and only when Nancy and Nayia came toward me did he try to work out of my grip. Thankful I had on my thick leather gloves. Got him in the playpen and I looked for an emergency vet. Found Med Vet on Brevard Road and called. Nancy drove us over there. The staff were so caring and helpful. We left because of Covid protocol but the Dr called just as we were arriving home. Strawyer was in a bad way, just the beginning costs of his surgery etc was going to begin at $1000 and would probably become more like $2000-3000 with so much nursing care afterwards. I have Buddy to think about but I asked if we did all this would Strawyer have any quality of life? No and then I asked would he better off if we had him put down. Yes, the Dr said that would be the best for Strawyer. He was so kind and assuring as he talked me through everything and said to be so thankful to have found him before a predator did and giving him a peaceful end. They assured me the nurses would hold and love him as he transitioned. They asked if I wanted the body and I said to Nancy I am running out of cemetery plots. He will be cremated and his ashes spread in the forever pet area garden. I'll go and pick up the playpen, bed and blanket tomorrow. As they took my information for payment, the amount sounded too low. They waved the initial diagnoses fee at the Dr's request.  

*********

The sun, bright blue skies and cool temps give me comfort this morning. Drinking coffee, taking care of Buddy and getting treats out to the feral fam. They heard the door open and I was greeted by a hungry group. New this morning to treat time, Strawyer's two sons. I hadn't even mentioned that on Wednesday, returning from taking Mini Priss to the vet, the sight of orange fur on the side of the road, in front of the house caught my attention. One of the three kittens had gone down to the road and had been hit and killed. 

The Straw Man was one of those special ferals that grabs your heart. He was beloved by Facebook friends who only knew him from pictures and stories. He was a big, strong cat yet he had the gentlest spirit. He look Mr McBeavy under his watch care. Edee adored him. Straw was picked on by dominant male cats that came through the area looking for some action. Last winter he pretty much took ownership of the feral cat house that was heated. If he wasn't in it he was on top of it. 

For a kitten that avoided and ran from me, his attitude changed at some point, He would come in the garage while I fixed their food and rub against my legs and in turn that influenced Punky to start doing the same. I will miss him this morning, more than I am right now writing this. I'll probably tear up when I pick up the pet playpen later from the emergency vet. I'll probably write more about him in the coming days cause he was a favorite and a treasured "pet." Yesterday morning, FB Memory was Strawyer and Mr McBeavy both touched my hand with their noses a year ago. It was the first time that had happened. 

Talking with Roy and then with Dena last night helped me settle a bit so that falling asleep would be easier. They both had to endure my disjointed ramblings. Last night, with Buddy sleeping in the midst of soft sweaters in a storage container, the feral fam holed up wherever keeping warm, the thought came and I could see in my minds eye, Mr McBeavy, Strawyer's young son who was killed on Wednesday, Riley, Cali, Big Daddy, Big Sissy Daddy and other members of the Feral Fam, welcoming him to kitty heaven. He probably greeted them the same way he did in life, press his head against them and then give a playful swat at the top of their heads. 

Strawyer, you were a good cat. Loving and gentle. Thankyou for trusting me to do right by you at the end of your life, guess you used up your nine lives in a two year time. Thanks for spending them here. I'm going to miss you.




***I know there is probably not a kitty heaven, so be assured my theology hasn't gone off the deep end in my sadness****

1 comment:

lymills said...

Such a sad story, but a wonderful tribute to Strawyer. Your heart is breaking, and I’m sorry. Our pets are a big part of our life and the void he left will not quickly heal. You did your best and gave him a good life. ❤️