Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Knots, Fog and Green Tomatoes

 With temps in the 40 range this morning, that seemed like quite the warm up from the mid 30s. The sun is shinning, Carolina blue sky and just a few clouds here and there. Got the roses and azaleas out of the garage yesterday to soak in the sun. On Saturday the plan was to stain the deck furniture but alas the top of the Thompsons Water Seal would not open. So no stain but the furniture returned to the front deck awaiting another day. Got the two chairs in from the flowerbed down in the yard. Haven't brought the table up yet. With all the furniture moving over the weekend, this morning all the muscles in my shoulder and arms are crying out with soreness. 

It was so good to be back in church yesterday after taking a sabbatical Sunday last week. The new sound system is wonderful and no more projector on a tall stand in the middle of a pew. Our class had a mini meeting afterwards. We have taken on, well not a project, not a ministry...we have accepted a call to help. That's a good way of saying it. Sometimes it is tempting to say, well being older now, God really can't use me or us. That is not true at all and when the thought comes we should take it into captivity in Christ. Maybe we shouldn't hold a responsibility that better suites a younger person, but we can still be fruitful. It is just keeping our eyes and hearts open to the needs and call given to us by the Lord.  

Last week was the first attempt at making fried green tomatoes and it was a success! Brenda gave me two green tomatoes and the cornmeal/flour mix to try. Brenda made it easy for me to attempt because if she had given me five tomatoes, I probably wouldn't have made them. Over the weekend I read an interesting article about overthinkers. Yes, I belong to the overthinkers of the world. In the article the author gave this suggestion, for overthinkers, break it down into smaller pieces to digest. That makes sense because if things are broken into smaller chunks whether it be work, reading, chores, or errands, I'm better at getting stuff done. Roy is a take on a big project type of person and that challenges him to complete the project whereas I feel more accomplishment in getting four out of six things done. Can an overachiever and an overthinker get things done together? Yes, well mostly. 

A couple of weeks ago while tying my shoestrings, I did a double knot. Not a big deal, but and I laugh while writing this, for all these years since probably being 7 or 8 years old, I have never tied a double knot because my mom told me, they are too hard for me to get undone. Yes, that is probably true as an 8 year old but not a 66 year old...well...anyway, with longer laces in shoes and boots, I had to resort to the good ol double knot that I refused to tie for all these many years and mostly I am able to get them untied without any problems. Every once in a while, a knot takes patience and a knack for tedious work, which isn't in my sweet spot, but so far I've been able to get everyone of them undone. 

*********************

Fog has changed my plans for today and that works out just fine because Mike the Mower Man just texted that he will be over to mow and I can show him where I would like the spring bulb flowerbed. His tiller is up and running and he will take care of doing this sometime this week. There are a couple of errands to run as well so a change in plans is not a bad thing. 

Sadly, I think Miss Priss is no longer with us, either by being rescued or by meeting an untimely predator. It has been a week since she last hung around the back but I do not give up hope because these other cats have been gone for a while and then show up one day. There have been several recent sightings of Camo to give an example. Out of the seven kittens Punky had, three remain and Mama Cat has four, but I think one is fading. I have been trying to catch it and hopefully, I'll be able to do that today. It gets in such small spaces where my big hands don't reach. The good news with the cats is, Hector Proctor sat and then fell asleep on my lap in the late afternoon. The little one that had me a bit nervous has a lot more life to it and has been playing and eating with siblings. 

Mary Joyce, neighbor across the way is back from visiting one of her daughters. She feeds the ferals as well and I think she enjoys their antics as much as I do. Her little doggie doesn't enjoy them as much. Having the gate to the backyard working gives them a little more protection for when the big dog gets loose. Don't know who he belongs to but he is a big honkin' dog. 

Found the Three Rivers cornmeal/self-rising flour combo and now I can fry up green tomatoes every time I find green tomatoes. 


No comments: