Sunday, October 11, 2020

Such Is The Life

 We are coming up on the sixth anniversary of buying our home here in the mountains. Time flies when you're having fun. We didn't actually move into the house when we closed in October of 2014 but by Thanksgiving we had contractors and painters in the house working. One of our requirements on finding a house was, it had to be nothing like our home in Texas. Thus, no open concept, limited storage (haha), no humongous owner suite bathroom...well you get the picture. I would take more storage here but it is what it is. We love our homes, but I truly love our home here. We have done more to the outside than we have done on the inside. Dare I use the overdone word, cozy? It is a cozy home with interesting nooks and crannies. 

The days are shorter so working in the yard at evening time is becoming limited. I worked yesterday morning outside but came in and got cleaned up to run over to the grocery store. My friend, Dena, had ordered Lupe's Tortilla fajitas over the weekend and I got to thinking about the deliciousness of those beef fajitas. Time to Google it up and found a copycat recipe. Had a hard time finding skirt steak, but at last had success. Ordered Adobo spice from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. So, either today or tomorrow, I will try my hand at making some of the most delicious fajitas one ever tasted. 

Loved our core group discussion yesterday on John 2. I couldn't help but laugh thinking about an episode from King of the Hill. Bobby Hill has to give a report in Sunday School on John 2. He is practicing his report to his mom Peggy and his cousin LuAnn, he ends by quoting the last two verses in John 2 from the KJ version. Peggy responds, well you need to pep up that ending. It needs something more and Bobby reveals he is quoting scripture and Peggy is a bit embarrassed at her response. 

*******

A rainy Saturday morning. I have a lot of things to do inside but I am feeling a bit lightheaded this morning. Nothing too bad probably from dehydration yesterday cause I didn't drink as much water as usual throughout the day. 

There were a lot of people around the house yesterday. Nathan and Andrew were here early cutting back shrubs and trimming trees. Then they put out pine straw cause it is that time getting ready for winter. They were just finished when the paint guys arrived and ironically, our neighbors had paint men up to their place at the same time. That's the most traffic I have seen on our small road to the houses. Before staining the front deck and porch the guys came and pressure washed them. I had moved most everything but had a couple of things I could not move. They finished up and left, then Brenda and Larry came over. Brenda had told Larry about the blacksmith gate and how the bottom hinge had stopped working. He will come back next week sometime and fix that for me. Sure appreciate that. Yesterday, while working outside and in the garage the big brown German Shepherd came running across the driveway and about scared the peewaddling out of me. With the presence of that dog and with all the noise generated around the house from work, most of the kittens were absent yesterday. Hector Protector, Mama Cat and kittens, Miss Priss and a brief momentary sighting of Radley were the only ones around toward evening. Did a walk around the yard looking for anything unusual but all was well...except for a small pumpkin that had rolled down the hill from the driveway and landed in front of the flowerbed. Hector Protector sat with me on the steps after supper and even Miss Priss came close. Hector is about halfway decided that climbing onto my lap might not be such a bad thing. 

This morning, Boo and Bobsey showed up for treat time and then when opening the garage door, Punky, her crew, the fab four, Mama Cat and her group were all there greeting me with very loud meows. Fed them in the garage and the fab four have opted to nap in the garage as the rain comes down. This particular litter has been the friendliest to other cats, used beds, blankets and opportunities more than any other litter since Mama Cat brought down Cali, Camo and MJ. I hung a new toy in the tree limbs that has a lot of elasticity to it. They love that toy and so far the knot I tied is holding on as they pull and try to walk away with it and once they let go it springs back to the tree. The toy is also purple and gold, so that's nice. This morning Punky showed up with the two Straw Jrs and Biggio. Don't know where her two black kittens are. They could still be asleep and showed up once I went back inside. When I went out there a little bit ago, all the bowls were licked clean. It was a hungry group this morning. 

I watched a little bit of the Yankees/Rays game last night. I kind of liked the fact that the Yankees lost. This year, they can't blame Houston cause they didn't play them in the regular season or in the post season. 

********

LSU lost yesterday and I am kind of glad we don't get the SEC Alternate channel. I wasn't one of those fans who thought we were building an Alabama-esk dynasty. Everything came together to have a good season no a great season last year. Rebuilding is tough but necessary. Yesterday was one of those times I root for the Aggies because they were playing Florida. In between putting up summer clothes and getting out the fall and winter, I would catch a few minutes of the Ole Miss vs Alabama game. Quite interesting to watch and maybe just maybe Arkansas will be ranked higher than LSU this season. Such is the life of a fan. 

I am taking a sabbatical Sunday. Feeling a bit lightheaded yesterday took a lot out of me. Then Buddy came and went all through the night, every hour on the hour. Sometimes the rain was so hard during the night, it woke me up. So, another day off the roads even though I don't feel lightheaded today I thought it might be best to give that another twenty four hours. I didn't drink enough water on Friday so that could be the reason for the feelings yesterday. 

Looks like today holds scattered showers more so than widespread rain. I did a little more work in the garage this morning, not really work work, but some stuff needed to be moved so I can continue going through storage boxes in the garage and get ready to make a Goodwill/Habitat for Humanity run with stuff. 

 

No comments: