Saturday, September 17, 2022

No Worse For The Wear

 Oops, I did it again. Yes, last night while getting the sunflower heads off of the stalks and after pulling up a few stalks, it happened. Yes, I slipped and fell in the garden. Another instance of coming to the garden alone, but no dew on the roses, no sinking sand, just slippery sod. Roy was in the front flowerbed and I called out. He heard me and responded but didn't come to checkout the happenings. So I called him on the phone. While he was making his way to the slippery sod, I checked out my feet both straight, not leaning to the side. I fell on my good hip. No worse for the wear except a little sore this morning and no bruises. Working for EPD all these years, with safety moments every morning, Roy is very safety minded. I had to promise I would not do this without him being closer which to him means, he will do it. With the cooler temps I have finally felt good enough to get outside and work in the yard doing something that I love. Guess finding some level ground is a good idea. 

The clouds and fog are so beautiful this morning in our valley. Guess it is selective fog. With cooler temps we have the windows open and just now that September fragrance from the outdoors wafted into the house. I think it is my favorite fragrance. 

***********

Thanks to my friend Karon, I think I have a new hair stylist and she is so much closer than going into Biltmore Village.  The appeal of making that trip also lost its luster when Corner Kitchen stopped serving breakfast. A lot of thought has gone into making the change and it was just me needing to take the time and make the appointment. Last haircut in July, so I was a bit of a shaggy dog. Tammy is so talented and she is also a great stylist. Came home loving my haircut and I booked my next appointment. 

The plan was to head over to Canton afterwards but instead I came on home. Ate a late lunch and then we went to the Les-Ter Farmer's Market. Our friends from church were selling homemade bread, handmade jewelry and lemonade. I had some of the bread last night and it is delicious! It was also fun seeing friends there as well. Next time I am not eating a late lunch so that we can get a hamburger from Wellsdale Farms. 

All the Feral Fam and The Boys are quite lively this morning. Charlie got up in the dogwood tree and had difficulty in finding his way down. So, he climbs a little higher. Eventually, Charlie made his way down the tree and as he is almost to the lowest limb, his tail caught his attention. He is in the Y of two branches, hanging upside down and grabbing his tail. G Mo has had his attention on his tail as well as Mr Mo's. 

I experienced a little hip pain from the slip on the sod the other night once I got into bed and laid on my left side. Mainly muscular but that pain sometimes with a little nerve pain shall we say, sometimes cuts right through to the bone. Finally, I got out of bed when I realized this pain wouldn't just fade away and got out the Bio Freeze. Thankfully, found the roll on kind and didn't have to use the spray...which is an eye opening experience on warm skin. Nothing like crawling back into bed with the perfume of the night lingering underneath and over the covers. Roy mumbled something like, what hurts? Hip. I told you not to garden alone...is it working? Yes, relief is overtaking the pain. 

************

Buddy has been gone for a year today. We were talking and remembering her quirks, tantrums and immense love she had for us, me in particular. A couple of days ago Bobbsey was around. He looks identical to HP except for his nose. For a brief moment, I thought it was HP. He hasn't been around for over six months, so his appearance is always a welcomed surprise. 

On Thursday we were heading toward Little Switzerland to visit the bookstore there and have lunch at the really cute restaurant. Not much there except for beautiful scenery. Roy has never been there and he was ready to take pictures except we were hearing a not usual noise with the Mustang. We pulled over and didn't see anything suspicious and went on a little farther when we decided to punt Little Switzerland and head back home. Upon inspection at home Roy figured out the noise being a little mud flap by the front left tire. It is working itself loose. I decided to head over to Canton to go to Duckett's and the Blue Moon Bookstore that opened earlier this year in downtown Canton.  Beautiful cool day with the fragrance of cut hay but then you hit Canton and the wafting fragrance of paper mill overtakes any cut hay fragrance. First stop Blue Moon Books. Didn't realize it was a used bookstore. Unusual in that it has cozy nooks for reading and the books are shelved beautifully and in an orderly fashion. In the front of the bookstore, regional interest and authors. So many books, so many books that looked like the shelves at home. Several signed and one signed by Gail Godwin...one of my all time favs. I've been thinking over the fact that many of the books I collected over the years need to find new homes but didn't want to just take them over to Habitat. Now, they can go to Blue Moon and while this is not a selling point for me, but store credit is given. The man running the shop that day and I had such an interesting conversation to all things books, especially the genre that interests me. 

The stop at Duckett's was productive. Had good looking peaches and also picked up some canned products by Lou Lou. She is also making tomato pies. Had a slice, okay two slices for lunch Thursday and wowsers, that's some good tomato pie. Think I might freeze several slices for this winter when fresh grown tomatoes are only a fond memory. 

We picked up our glasses yesterday and as our recent tradition, breakfast at Another Broken Egg beforehand. Roy ordered his regular choice but I ordered the pumpkin waffle with cinnamon butter and pecans. It was a great choice and although I like fall and all things fall related, pumpkin other in pie or maybe ravioli, I as far as I go with that pumpkin thing. This waffle, if we are nearby will be ordered again. Yum!

We have a couple of things on the to do list today so we will begin those errands in a bit. I realized the choir retreat would take a lot out of me and opted out but assured our choir director that I would use the CDs she made for us. The fine line of sitting and moving is just that, a fine line and I approach that line with the confidence of a tight rope artist...balanced of course but a few off balance scares to make it all interesting. 

No comments: