Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Great Reading and Great Memories

One of those surprises came on Saturday. We've been going through books and such and I came across a book by Erskine Caldwell. I think I bought this book when we were tourists, not sure, but I can say, book bought, came home, put on a shelf and never looked at again until Saturday. I was thumbing through it and then realized it was a memoir of sorts with Erskine's observations on the early 20th century in the south. His father, a minister in the Presbyterian church as well as the secretary of their home mission board shared story after story with his son about churches he was sent to in order to help them. Some successful and some not so much. One story in particular grabbed my attention, the church who was divided over hardwood floors and carpet. Neither side would tithe or place offerings in the plate cause what if it went for the other sides wishes? The electric company was about to shut off the power due to no payments. Two divorces happened over this issue as well as a death and one left paralyzed over carpet and hardwood. The issue with hardwood said the carpet people, you can hear heels tapping along to the hymn and God certainly did not like this display. It was disrespectful to the Lord. From what was written, these Presbyterians hymns were not happy or fast in any way. No When the Roll is Called Up Yonder, no I'll Fly Away. With the sides so divided Erskine's father decided they were too worried over traditions and religious practices, instead of being in love with the Lord and serving His church. This church with over two hundred members, disbanded and the church building fell into ruins. His father said, poetic justice would have been an Assembly of God or Pentecostal Church buying the church property. Oh what singing, oh what shouting, on that happy morning when we all shall rise. I used this story as an example of what not is unity and love that Jesus prayed in the John 17 prayer. 

Yesterday, just like times ago, I took off for Burnsville. By myself. In the past few months I wasn't feeling comfortable enough to go by myself but the last few weeks have been good. Roy wasn't particularly interested in going yesterday but would have if need be. As always the drive there and back, beautiful. The greening of the trees with the multiple colors and shades of green are pretty gosh darn exciting to me. Made a couple of stops but the main goal, Lamp Post Vintage Market. Totally different shopping trip cause I bought mainly clothes. I also ran into Marissa, who had Turkey Creek Grill when we first bought the house. She was so welcoming and friendly when we moved here. Her daughter is getting ready to graduate from college. Time certainly flies. On the way home I stopped in Mars Hill at Ingles and then headed to Marshall and stopped at Penland's. Love that store! Came home with a book, like I need another book. Books are never about need as an adult, but in school that is a whole different thing. 

A couple of Fridays ago when in Hendersonville for Roy's Doctor appointment, we ate afterwards at the Fireside Restaurant. Andy, the Doctor, had recommended a place in downtown Hendersonville but since we were in the truck, it was a no go for this visit. Think we had a divine appointment. The tables at Fireside are very close and in fact, the older couple they sat us next to weren't happy about the table seating. Soon after, another couple was seated on the other side of us. I could hear their conversation and could tell they were tourists as they discussed getting back on the Blue Ridge Parkway. When they kept calling 25 a little country road, I felt like I needed to be like "Philip with the Ethiopian" in Acts and explain that 25 was not a country road, especially as you get closer to Asheville. The couple had moved to the Charleston area from California and first trip exploring the WNC mountains. We had a lovely conversation and we had that moment of, oh wow, we are talking with a brother and sister in Christ. Before we left I did ask one question to see if my tennis radar is still sharp. Yep, big time USTA doubles player and we both shared some tennis stories much to the boredom of our husbands. Just that morning of Roy's appointment I had prayed and asked if the Lord would provide a Holy Spirit guiding moment, since that is what we were studying on Sunday. Yep, there it was. We will probably never see these people again on this side of heaven but what a lovely way to eat brunch. 


Speaking of tennis, my good friend from tennis years, Marti and I have found one another on FB. She has posted some great memories on my timeline from those days. This pic is from a women's ministry event around Christmas time. I bought the table and Mary and Marti decorated it. I told the WM Director about the table décor and she said, we have a lot of fine designers in the church but I told her, you ain't seen nothing yet. That was certainly true. I have a picture of church friends standing around the decorated table with their mouths hanging open. Victorian hot chocolate pitchers, one pitcher to two people, a Victorian Christmas tree as the centerpiece and Mary brought the good stuff, real silver. I am ever so grateful for Mary and Marti, not just for a fun evening, but for a lifetime of great memories on and off the tennis court. 

 

Three of these pics are from the ranch, but the tennis court one, I believe Mary and I are duplicating a pose we saw on a tennis retreat brochure. You can tell from the pic who had classical ballet training and who got kicked out of ballet class cause all I talked about was playing softball. I am thankful that I no longer have to wear that knee brace. I believe the ranch pics are from the time we were celebrating our tennis friend Ann, whose husband had been transferred to the Netherlands but she was back for a visit. This is also at the time when Roy had a job interview in California and then one in Long Island, NY right before Thanksgiving. This is the beginning of how the story begins for Roy turning down both of those jobs and staying right in Houston and working for EPD. A story for another time... I had a pic of Mary, Marti, Ann and I baking Christmas cookies and candies that was a fav but it got stolen in the robbery in Mobile. 

Our third boy has been fixed and we have another appointment in May. This time they gave us a trap instead of using a carrier. It is easier for them to work with the humane trap. 

This rainy and drizzly day have been perfect. Got some studying done, got the outline for the lesson arranged. Also, been doing some reading and even got in a short nap. Ah, the life. We say it so often but living here saved my life and Roy certainly has been enjoying the fruits of his labor. Soon enough, it will be after Mother's Day and he will get those tomatoes in the ground. 


No comments: