Friday, April 7, 2023

Winter Then, Spring Now, Winter Temps Later

 What a wind event over the weekend! We were outside Saturday afternoon picking up things that might be blown about when the trees swaying and they were being blown about so much, got our attention.  They looked like they would snap in two. Many trees in the general area did fall, taking down power lines and the result being several fires. 

Congrats to the LSU Women's Basketball team! I'll admit, I didn't think they would win but they found a way. Since I only watch March Madness basketball and because I am and was such a bad basketball player, I never had too much interest in the game. Roy was telling me how and why LSU's defense was working. So it is always good to have someone who knows what is happening with commentary. It was fun watching them play this year. 

We made it through to the end of the lesson on Sunday. Whew! Really, I am surprised how much I have enjoyed the study of John. We are in the homestretch and heading toward Jeremiah and one Sunday of Lamentations in the summer. There was just so much to take in while studying and finally had to go with a few points out of the many. One is John 15:11, His joy in us and with His joy, our joy is overflowing. I read a quote from William Barclay about joy, internal as well as eternal, that is our focus to how we respond to and live life. Paraphrasing him, basically those who walk around dressed in black and mopey, they are a slap to the face of what not should be. It is not in our circumstances, it is who we believe and trust. I didn't fully develop the point too much but it is much easier to act all sad and mopey, than to be courageous and know who we believe and is with us always. Sometime, and this is Nancy commentary, I think it is easier to go sad than knowing and practicing the joy set before Him. Sad sometimes garners the response we'd like to see. I know both Marge Caldwell and Carole Lewis were both grief stricken while dealing with all the feelings and emotions of losing their daughters. I watched in awe as they navigated life. Oh there were tears and all that goes with grief, but at their core...Jesus, Joy, Overflowing.  This not a commentary on anyone else and how each one deals and plods through those tough days, but it is this, for me, when those tough, grief-filled times arrived, I remembered those two friends. That helped me so much especially with the death of my mom and then dealing with a deranged and evil father. My brother and I once discussed how we responded to the trauma of childhood differently. He'd get out into the neighborhood while I just froze, went to my room and spent copious hours shutting down, then putting all that trauma into individual compartments in my heart and mind. There for a few years as an adult, I went to my fearless zone, said whatever and didn't even care about one consequence, but a very good therapist helped me with that. I am forever grateful. 

******

Our Tuesday took a shift of plans with trips to Burnsville and Erwin. Dropped off stuff at Goodwill, did the quick Walmart trip, love a smaller type Walmart, and then to the grocery store. Usually, we would do that later in the week, but opted to get everything done on one day. Stopped in at TJs and got more SC strawberries, then hit the Ingles for a couple of things they had one sale. Got started with unloading the truck and then ran over to see Inez and Cuman. Ah, such a happy afternoon. 

Today, my mom would have been 94 years old. I miss her everyday. Roy said this morning, she was one special person and she was. Alzheimer's took her way too soon from us.  

**********

Oh Friday, Good Friday. 

We went to Hendersonville yesterday. Roy had to do some additional bloodwork. Afterwards we went to The Fireside Restaurant for breakfast. I had been there pre-covid and remembered the food being delicious. We were not disappointed. We will make return visits, that's for sure. I have been following The Marketplace at Locust Street on FB and we headed that way to visit the store. It did not disappoint! Beautiful things, furniture and lamps. We will make return visits there as well. We made a quick trip to Southern Chicks and it was really quick. All the different fragrances from candles and the like made it difficult for Roy to breathe. I am trying my hardest not to buy décor items. I did find a pair of lamps that I loved but they were $526.00 for the pair. Oh my... Before we went to Southern Chicks, we stopped at an Episcopal church we had passed. Beautiful stone work as well as that welcoming red front door. Thursday their thrift store is open, so we walked around. Very well priced but didn't see anything that needed to come home with us. WE took the opportunity to walk through their garden area and what a beautiful sight. I would think it would be beautiful anytime of the year, but it was especially beautiful with spring blooms and the greening of the trees. So blessed to live within reasonable driving distance to see God's creation bursting forth.  


No comments: