Monday, October 16, 2023

The Colorful Season

 Early Friday morning and up before sunrise. Willie has joined me at the computer although he tired quickly of supervising and is now napping. It is another very foggy morning. Think this is the worst fog year that I can remember since living here. 

Bible study was good last night, although Dr Jeremiah cut off before the CD ended. That just gave us a little more fellowship time. We have no trouble fellowshiping, laughing, talking and praying. We all had a great laugh that I as a former flatlander, don't always know when we are going over a mountain. I told them about the first two houses we looked at in 2014 and one of the kind of but not set in stone requirements, to be on top of a mountain. Oh foolish flatlander! At least it only took two houses for me to come to my senses. 

The ALDS is all Texas. We root for the Astros but we have some friends that root for that other Texas team. Don't think this is the matchup that TV wanted but it will be fun for those, "deep in the heart of Texas." 

*******

Not always a fan of the early morning rise, but this morning I kind of welcomed it. Last night right before falling asleep I learned of the passing of my friend's father. Beth and I were in 6th grade together but we became friends in high school. Her home and her parents were quite the respite for me. Her father, Bob, had such a great laugh and both he and her mom, especially her mom, made me feel welcomed. I loved spending time there cause we all laughed quite a bit. My first experience of eating Chinese food, not only first for that but the first for eating it in downtown Houston. Bob was an avid, AVID golfer and sportsman. Years ago, Peggy and I did a Mildred and Gertrude thing at Willow Meadows Baptist, the church that I began attending in 1971 that had a tremendous impact on me. Laid a great foundation as I have journeyed this life. We were asked by a Sunday School class and I was thrilled that Bob and Rita were a part of that class. I think this might have been one of the only times we stepped away from anything "blue" in our act. We did this cause I knew Bob and there is a great joke. We named three other golfing buddies from the class and told the joke about four men wanting to play golf on Christmas morning. Three of the men had to give expensive gifts to their wives to have the privilege. The fourth man, who we made Bob, says it didn't cost me anything. He told them on Christmas morning he leaned over to his wife and said, golf course or intercourse? The response from the wife is, be sure and take your sweater. That got a lot of laughs. I will also tell you at that same deal, an older man came up to me and said, do you see these tears? These are the first happy tears I have cried in weeks. My wife died and I wasn't going to come to the fellowship tonight because she loved them and it would just remind me she is with the Lord. But I came and I am so glad I did, you made me laugh and have joy. Thank you! From that point on in my heart, M&G always had a ministry feeling about it. 

********

It's snowing along the NC/TN mountains. The Parkway in Haywood County is getting snow too. We won't, lower elevation but within the precipitation, you can find of feel a snow feeling. This morning the skies were that cold, hard gray snow sky. We dropped the Mustang off for a replacement part and then I dropped Roy off at his workout. I made a trip to Big Lots and Tractor Supply, with a last stop before Publix at Ingles. Please, please do not be jealous of my wild ways and the things I get to do. Roy met me at Publix, we grabbed some of his dinners and we headed home. Andrew was here cutting shrubs and bushes for the winter. Mike had also been here fertilizing the front yard. We grabbed a quick lunch and headed out the door for Marshall. We went to the tag office and there wasn't a line, no one parked in front...we didn't know what to do. The two ladies who work there continued their conversations and finally one said, come on up to the window. I promise you, we must have looked like deer in the headlights. Our next stop, Lowe's. While there, we got the call that the Mustang was ready. So, off to get the car and return home. What is so wonderful is that in this dreary misty day, the trees, beautiful against the steel gray of the sky. 

The trees across the way are turning colorful after this little bit of a cold snap. Really, the fall sunlight is a little different adding the colorful hues in golden light. Fall sunlight is also a huge problem while driving southeast in the morning. There isn't a visor shaped to curtail the brightness. 

As I try and figure out this reaction to the bandages on my leg, I thought I had come up with a clever innovation. I did not. All I will say is that when the cloth tape snapped it felt like something running over my ankle and of course my thought is, a mouse. Totally woke me up but I was relieved to see my innovation was a failure but I wasn't too upset about that. 

No comments: