Monday, October 2, 2023

Going Into Fall Without A Fall

 Good morning from the mountains. The Feral Fam is having breakfast and our picky eating Boys inside the house decided turkey was a good choice for breakfast. This is a calm morning for The Boys and seem to be getting along. The calming chews are helping. Willie will soon be a year old. 

There was a bit of excitement around here on Tuesday. My neighbor Nancy called and said the little boy that we found on our porch last year, was missing. She was on her way home to help search for him and would we help as well. Roy wasn't here but I said yes, of course. Got my muck boots on and grabbed a flashlight to look under both of our porches. I began in our side yard and looked all around for him, calling him by name. Saw the dad and we was beside himself. Told him his son would be alright and I was getting ready to go across the street to see if maybe by some horrible chance, he has crossed over to see the houses being built. The little boy is four. We also have a junk house over to the right of us on the road. Lots of junk for a little boy to wander through and very dangerous. As EMS and sheriffs arrived, we all were focused on the same thing. Our neighbor Nancy arrived home and got out on her ATV to check all around their property. She found him in the upper pasture trying to feed her horses. Horses not too keen on a little one and a stranger trying to feed them. What a reunion when she brought him down to his dad. Meanwhile the mom pulled into our driveway, she'd been at work. She gave me the biggest hug and she was crying. I talked with her a few minutes and was able to share with her that our Sunday School class was praying for her little boy. Y'all, that is the first time I met her other just waving when we are in our cars. While sheriffs, EMS and the like showed up I hoped none of them had been to our house when I accidently pressed the panic alarm several months ago. Neighbor Nancy said she didn't recognize any of them. What a relief! 

Another exciting incident happened on Wednesday. A car going way too fast hit a curve wrong and ended up plowing into a house along side the road. Another reason not to live on top of these roads. The car was amped up, or in my vernacular, a hot rod, with bald tires. The guy wasn't wearing a seatbelt and heard through the grapevine he broke both of his legs. Grapevine update, he broke a hip and arm. We could see the ambulance and sheriff lights. 

One other exciting happening, but it depends on how you look at it, Cutie is teaching her kittens about hunting. She brought back a field mouse for one of them and he had a hay day with that thing until he and his siblings ate it. I am so grateful that they are not grateful and decided to leave the carcass at the backdoor. 

*******

Friday, with such great sales at Food City, we went back over the mountains into TN. Made a quick stop at Walmart beforehand. We shopped and it was early enough before the lunch rush to stop at PALS. They maybe famous for their hot dogs but the burgers are what we go for. Delicious! 

We visited Inez and Cuman on Saturday and had a great visit with them. She will soon be back in racing form. 

Roy caught two of the Feral Fam this morning, only one of them has already been there. He is hoping the staff can help separate the two and he'll bring Archie back home. Chicky, named because he or she is the biggest chicken, will come home tomorrow. We have no clue whether Chicky is a boy or girl but be that as it may, it needs this life changing procedure. We are intent on getting Remy in and he will be the last sibling from that litter. Fluff Mo needs to go so Radley will stop making his life so miserable. Then the four kittens and Cutie. We hate to take those kittens in to the shelter because it is October and October is not safe for black cats. 

Last night after feeding The Feral Fam, I sat on a rock, my usual spot, and watched the kitties eat. The ants usually don't bother me there but several got into my boot and had a feast on biting my feet, right one especially. Right leg is still healing from biopsy. I noticed more than usual swelling around my ankle and at 1:00 am I made the discovery of the ant bites; pain, itchy and swollen. Vicks to the rescue and it took the itchiness away. This morning, still dealing with the after affects of ant bites, certain ant bites I'm allergic to. These not so much. I don't think my foot would fit in a boot or shoe this morning. 

I am not following along with the quarterly right now in teaching. We were in Mark 4 yesterday and we didn't get through the lesson, so we will begin there next Sunday and might or might not catch up. It seems some very important basics have not been covered. So many times Lifeway puzzles me but the material is much better than in the past. 

This morning I opened a can of biscuits to go with breakfast. We hadn't tried the honey that our neighbor gave us from their bees. Oh my, so delicious! Just so good!

The pot roast is fragrantly covering our home while it cooks in the crock pot. When Roy gets home we will have a delicious lunch. Taco soup last week and pot roast this week, our tastes are transitioning into autumnal tastes. 

No comments: