Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just Another Thrusday in the Burbs

This has been one odd Thursday.  The day has been complete with a veritable potpourri of happenings.  The day started with a small electrical fire.  I was drying my hair...and I heard this clicking sound.  Never noticed this before and just wrote it off that it was due to the fact my bracelet was hitting my watch.  The clicking was getting louder and faster and the hair dryer was in my right hand...the non bearing bracelet and watch combination wrist..  I looked at my hair dryer and there was fire coming out of the end.  Not being a Girl Scout as a child, my ever ready Camp Fire Girl knowledge came into play. No, not selling candy door to door.  WOHELO!  Work, health and love...of course this has nothing to do with fire either, but the middle name of the group is fire.  So unplugged the dryer and smothered the flames with a heavy towel soaked in water...  Can I just tell you I was more than happy that said fire had not lighted up the morning and most importantly not my hair.  And I was fortunate that most of my hair was dry.  I was wary of the flat iron for a few seconds, but it all worked out. 

Being the almost month old Katy resident, I ventured to Bible study on 99 the back way I have only driven once and it was coming not going that direction.  I got so lost.  I called Roy because he had driven this way a couple of times in his attempt to find the shortest distance to the Metro Lot.  He was of no help whatsoever.  I called Peggy...unavailable.  So, I finally got there in the most round about way...I was late...but I arrived in time for all the important stuff.  Bible study was really good this morning and it will be exciting to study the book of Revelation.  The questions surely will be challenging.  Honestly, I had difficulty with the time line of Daniel...this can't be any easier.  Afterwards as I was walking to my car Mary R met up with me.  She was in my group last year.  She has the wildest stories...she owns a working ranch in the area.  This is the first time I have ever seen her without cowboy boots.  She kept me in the hot sun a little too long and I barely had the energy to go to Target and buy a new hair dryer.  I came home and went to bed. 

There wasn't too much rest for the weary because I got another panicked call from a loved one.  It was a week ago that I got almost the same type of call at 6:00 am.  I will spare you the details, but it is hard, very hard, extremely exhausting to help this one think through things...and help them make wise, good decisions.  Another crisis averted, for now.  It is not that I don't think the issue is serious, because I do.  It is all the drama, unnecessary drama that comes with it...and the unnecessary mess that has to be cleaned up afterwards.  I feel like I have a well funded teenager on my hands.. 

So after the two phone calls from loved one and the second call was much better than the first because there seems to be a plan in place, I'm sitting here trying to get my heart back in rhythm and reading peace filled verses from Psalms.  In the background I can hear mowers, weed eaters and leaf blower things going full blast.  Lucky people who can get a hold of a lawn service, so thought I.  The noise level increased and I went to the window and saw these guys were working in our yard.  I called Roy and asked if he was able to get ahold of Abel.  No...  Roy told me to go out there and see who was mowing our yard.  Quickly I reviewed my limited remembrance of high school Spanish.  Somehow the question of, "would you like to play Chinese checkers and have some bread and butter" wasn't going to come in handy for communication purposes.  Hallelujah!  It was Abel and his guys.  They did a great job and we are extremely happy we aren't going to have to buy a lawn mower after all this Saturday.  He and his crew are coming every Thursday.  If I had the energy, I would do a happy dance. 

Roy had to drive into downtown yesterday, so we met for dinner at La Fiesta.  I drove in a little early to look at Pier One on Bunker Hill before meeting Roy and then heading onto choir.  We needed a chair for our closet.  Found just the thing and had the nicest girl helping me.  She made the whole experience a lot of fun.  The chair is a dining room chair, with a very 50's retro look.  It looks great and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room.  Score one for Pier One and for the chair...and for Roy who needs someplace to put on his sock and shoes. 

Roy is stopping to pick up Chinese food for dinner on his way home tonight.  I am hoping I can talk him into putting together the bar stool for the project desk in the casita bedroom, which is going to be my crime labette.  Peggy has a crime lab.  Roy is taking off tomorrow because we have TV installation happening, another A/C visit, cabinet replacement and warranty meeting.  It is more than I can handle besides this hair needs to be cut and highlighted.  So thankful that the fire from this morning didn't burn and singe my hair and make me have to cancel the appointment with less than 24 hours notice...cause my hair would probably look like some of my styles of childhood, you know getting a stinky permanent and usually it ruined a third of your hair.  Makes for lovely school pictures.  That and not too good of impression with my new core group in Bible study.  Maybe I could have made up some great story of having a Patmos experience like John.  Nah, no one would ever believe it. 

1 comment:

Blog Admin said...

Nancy, I sure wish my life was as exciting as yours! You had me sweating as some points! I think I want to hang out with you everyday and experience blow dryers blowing up and magic men coming and doing my lawn.