Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Bits and Pieces of Trivia

 After a few too many sleepless nights I decided to once again take a sabbatical Sunday. Buddy has been a restless camper which makes me a sleepless camper. I feel great but I staying home this morning is one of the best things I can do for my immune system although emotionally and spiritually I miss being with our church family. 

Yesterday afternoon had a bit of sadness to it, my last haircut with Chloe. She and her husband are moving back to Florida. He is a craftsman brewer and with that all but drying up around here due to Covid protocols, they are moving where there is a bit more financial stability. Chloe already has secured a stylist position there and her son is happy to be near a beach. She is passing me on to her friend Jennifer and we met for a few minutes. I need to ask longevity questions...like are you moving anytime soon? Chloe and I have a great relationship as stylist to client to friendship. I will miss her. She trimmed the last bit of highlights out of my hair yesterday, so I am left with a few natural blonde streaks, some gray but mostly dark hair. We'll see how long this look stays but if I didn't do this now during a distancing and lack of socializing, I'd never know what was under all the highlights. Now I know. Saturdays, in Biltmore Village, would not be a regular choice but with this being the only opening Chloe had and the fact that there are few to none tourists, parking wasn't a problem. With heavy rain and flash flooding being forecast, I planned on taking the truck but when the blade of the windshield wiper flew off, Mustang Sam became the choice. If someone sneezes, Biltmore Village floods. I called Roy and asked him to pray for the trip there and back and finding high level parking. God heard his prayer. Kind of funny, Roy was questioning my need to go to the bookstore. What? Oh, there are so many Biltmore choices here, Village, Biltmore Park, Biltmore Forest...Only a few things get me out in "weather" and a haircut qualifies...sometimes. 

With storms in the area our evening turned coolish and I really should have changed into gardening clothes and do some work...but I was ensconced on the couch, with a book and Buddy. That is until a phone call. It was Brenda and she had made the TN peach pudding. She invited me to come over...right now and get some while it was hot. I only thought I was ensconced on the couch. Oh my goodness! We both agree that was some good cobbler/pudding. And Brenda was generous to send me home with a to go.

This morning while gazing out the back window and making coffee there was an unusual sight in the backyard. Lo and behold, a turkey was casually grazing. Quickly, I looked for the kittens and they were mesmerized by the big bird and visions of wild game danced in their heads. For the most part I seem to protect them from birds, not protect the birds from them. In this instance this is all about hawks, not song birds. I help the birds out then as well but the mockingbirds seem to have matters in their world with cats under control. The turkey moved on down the gravel road but a little later he or she had returned for snacks. This time, the turkey made their way down the steps and the kittens were encircling the unknowing or fazed bird. Once again, to distract the cats, I went outside, in my jammies and chased the bird out of the yard and into the open side flowerbed. Finally, the turkey moved up into the pasture above us and the kittens forgot about the one that got away. It was quite the exciting morning. 

The last dream before waking up this morning involved Greater Tuna. Greater Tuna is, well, different. Two men play all the parts in the play...taking place in the third smallest town in Texas, Tuna. In my dream I was on a game show and had to name at least four characters from the play. I woke myself up yelling, Vera Carp! She was my fourth to be named. I woke up before learning what I won...probably some used weaponry from DeDe Snavely.   

Being inspired by my friend Sharon Z, I purchased an air fryer. It was delivered yesterday. Haven't brought it in from the garage yet, because I need to make room for it on the counter. We have no counter or storage in the kitchen. When we bought the house, who cared? But now with distancing one needs distractions, so a little more cooking is in the works these days. Not to have to turn on the oven is a huge plus. Since my comings and goings are at a minimum, the game of beating GPS distance time has taken a backseat. Now, my game is, beat the estimated power usage sent each month by Duke Energy. Beating the estimate by being much lower. So, air fryer will help with that game. 

We are having more foggy mornings than non foggy mornings. Don't know how that will play out this winter. I have seen a mild winter prediction and a wintry prediction. If winter is somewhere between the two, I'll be happy.

  

No comments: