Monday, August 24, 2020

Two Storms, One Asteroid To Come...

  It was like a GEICO commercial as I cleaned out my spice rack, rather shelf. The one about the aunt problem... I stood there looking at expiration dates on the various types of spices and most of them were expired. When the trash bag goes out to the bin in the garage, it is going to be a heavy bag. The cinnamon sticks that had expired get to stick around because they are used for fallish holiday fragrance for the house but everything else...gone. Now there is a little room, no a lot of room for several spice/sweetener related items that have a place to go. 

This morning instead of waking up to fog we woke up to a drizzle with rainy overcast skies. Since moving here five years ago, there are very few mornings that come to mind that included rain. Rain around these parts seems to be mainly in the late afternoon and early evening. Oh yes, sometimes overnight. The kitties are not too happy about the rain and I have been careful to put their treats up on the top shelf so they don't get too wet eating. I'll go out in a bit and feed them. 

We had a couple of flickers this morning and then while in the garage, the power went out. So thankful for our generator. Duke estimates power should be restored by 5:00 pm. On Tuesday, the propane truck comes, so that will be timely. We had kind of a scare a week or so ago and I probably wrote about it but it looked like someone was trying to siphon propane. Blossman assured me that it is a very difficult thing to do along with sustaining injuries if one tries to do that. I just looked at the outage map and we are on the very edge of power being out. 11:53 and power is restored. The kitties will be happy to return to eating. The generator just came on when the bowls were ready for consumption. 

I think we can return to the phrase, in these uncertain times. We are keeping a watch on the gulf today. There could be two storms possibly in the gulf at the same time. Really, it is 2020, would we expect no less from hurricane season? Roy has access to sophisticated radar interpretations and while I'm advising him in my limited capacity, he asked, what is your gut feeling? Well, he asked that late yesterday afternoon and it was feeling hunger cause I forgot to eat lunch. I was so busy trying to get all my errands ran yesterday that lunch time took a backseat. I didn't have an answer for him. 

*********

I was able to get out early enough to work again in the flowerbeds, yard and quarry. Just about have all my quarry work done. Broke up more rocks and extended the flat stone area in front of the swing and added a few more steppingstones to get down into the flowerbed in the front yard. Moved the pallet that has been holding all that rock and will decide what to do with the remaining pieces. Knew that had to be moved before Tuesday when the fence people should be here. Got more weeds pulled and gathered. Letting those dry out on the driveway so that they will be easier to put into a trash bag. The fab four were interested in what was happening and once again my presence disturbed their breakfast. When it is cool enough to get back out there, the early red geraniums in hanging baskets that have just about played out could go in the trash. I might move them to the back where the ladders are and see if they pep up a bit. Red geraniums are not usually my first choice, preferring the pink ones but early in the season red and white is just about all that is available. Then I came across a great sale at a produce stand and added white and pink with a couple of reds to the group. Hey when the plants are $2.00 you aren't choosy. The sunflowers that have played out came down this morning. So the back has dahlias taking precedence.  

*******

Once again Sunday afternoon turned into a total relax session. One thing that got done, trash down to the road. Oh, and started laundry. After church I made a quick trip to Publix to get more ice cream and ironically salad. Great reminder of the Sunday crowd at the store and by all means get things before Sunday or that can wait till Monday. 

This Sunday we begin outdoor services again. Love those and really looking forward to meeting on the softball field once again. God's sanctuary. 



No comments: