Thursday, August 13, 2020

Over A Few Days

 Last week I began a blog post and it got extended too long, although it may be added to this post. It just depends. I am seeing better today because yesterday was pick up new glasses day. I got a new pair for regular daily wear and ordered a cheaper yet cute pair for outside work. While the past few weeks has not held too much gardening due to heat, we are looking forward to highs in the lower 80s with a nice breeze. We had a little bit of rain this afternoon but clearly not enough so I will have to water the flowers this evening. 

The happy news is this, much to my surprise, the freezer I ordered was delivered on Saturday morning. Even the delivery man couldn't believe that we were getting it because the order had come in the last part of July. We chose this freezer primarily on the delivery date. Most freezers have a delivery date beginning in November.That early Saturday morning phone call that it would be delivered before noon took me totally by surprise. Once that freezer got fired up, so to speak, I have been moving stuff into it and rearranging the other two refrigerator freezers. Yesterday, when Publix had pizza on sale...I was able to buy the two for deal because there was plenty of space. 

After taking a sabbatical Sunday week before last, I was at church for the in person worship service this week. More seemed to be masked up. The sermon and music were just the healing words I needed to hear. Pastor is preaching from Mark, one of my favorite Gospels...Luke is my very favorite. The best surprise of Sunday came in the late afternoon. Brenda called with an invitation to supper. You do not turn those invites down. It was a fabulous country supper of fried okra, fried squash, fried tomatoes, tomato slices, meat loaf patty, green beans and corn. Even got leftovers to bring home which was supper last night. On Tuesday morning, I had been over to Brenda's for my birthday breakfast...which as many know was totally delicious. Really, has anyone had something bad at Brenda's? The answer is nope. Came home with breakfast leftovers and strawberry cake. 

Mama Cat's kittens are growing up. They still hang together for the most part but there has been rough play this past week. It seemed to be more than the usual playful antics. Lots of drawn back ears and hard tackles. Some of the planters on the front porch haven't been doing well and last night I saw the reason, the planters have become beds for a couple of the kittens. Hector Protector has become a little more docile and Radley and Bobsey are working on becoming alpha cats. Mama Cat has been a bit scarce these days, so Hector is hanging out with Punky. She seems to enjoy his company and even Strawyer has taken a liking to him. This morning the kittens have made the discovery that all the other kittens have, the fence and the trees. Several sat up on the top of the fence scanning the scene of their cat-dom. Every once in a while, the dominate black and white male cat saunters through, but he isn't around much, neither is Darth, but Darth seems to be a domesticated cat with all the equipment still in tack. 

This past week one of my favorite authors passed away, Shirley Ann Grau. I discovered her through the LSU Voices of the South series of reprints of southern authors. Her book Keepers of the House is one of the best novels ever and one of the best and first written in the 60's on civil rights. Elizabeth Spenser and Anne Rivers Siddons passed away last year. Thankfully, it seems Gail Godwin and Ellen Gilchrist are hanging in there. 

While doing more rearranging of the garage this morning, something of a surprise greeted me. Knowing that one of the storage bins was empty, I went through them looking for that empty one. It was the one on the bottom of the stack. I opened one of the bins and there was a metal bunny that had been on a stake. A rusty metal bunny, with a steel wool pad as the tail. My mom had given it to me when they lived in Georgetown. A few tears mixed in with the drops of sweat I had worked up in the heat. My mom gave me two bunnies while they lived there in Georgetown. The other one is in Katy. Sentimental for sure, because my mom didn't give a lot of "no reason for this gift" type of gift. It's not because she didn't want to, it was because the vice hold my father had over money and the price she would no doubt pay being nice to me. So, out of the bin and onto a shelf or wall seems to be the thing to do. 

This morning none of the cats were visible. I went out onto the back porch and out of every nook and cranny of the backyard, they rushed to the porch steps because they know treats are involved. Punky was right there with them but she didn't eat. She hasn't felt good for the past couple of days. The delicate sound of treats crunching is a favorite sound. Even Boo who is the most skittish of the cats, with every reason to be, has relaxed some with my presence. Could be hunger trumps human presence. So this group have all finally been named, Boo, Radley, Miss Priss, Hector Protector, and Bobsey. 


I am also older as I write this post. Celebrated a birthday last week and so did Buddy. She's napping this morning after napping on my lap. She is eating treats but that is about it. I vary the selection to keep her interested. It seems so strange for her not to be motivated by the shaking of the treat bag to get her to appear. Maybe I was feeling my age earlier in the week because I find myself watching documentaries in the afternoons. Sometimes the TV doesn't even get turned on or if at all it is around 8:00 or 9:00 pm but watching about Reagan, the Royal Family, Roosevelts and SEC football has held my attention .

No comments: