Saturday, August 15, 2020

Firsts But No Fists

 Yesterday, all my troubles seem so far away...Oops, yesterday had a sense of normalcy to it. The weather looked to be cooperative and so it was off to the Waynesville area. The apple orchard has been open nearly a week and I had yet to make a pilgrimage. I planned for quite a bit of stops but as the day progressed, some of those stops were nixed for another time. A pleasant surprise awaited with no lines at Barber's. Picked up the much missed apple cider donuts first, then headed over to the produce area. Picked up corn, a cucumber, early honey crisp apples and some pears. Took the back way over to Belk and Michaels. Had an all important birthday $10.00 off coupon. I debated on making a stop in Hazelwood, but motored on into downtown Waynesville. Seems so strange, there is traffic but Waynesville looked like a January afternoon not an August one. Found a parking spot quickly and went to Mast. The last time I was there the entrance and exit were marked, you stood in line until a spot opened up for you to be in the store, but it wasn't like that yesterday. People coming and going as they wished and there was plenty of hand sanitizer for all. With it being in the early afternoon I took a chance and headed to the Blue Rooster. Social distancing spacing for the tables. Wednesday means fried chicky day, so along with collards and warm applesauce made it an easy choice. A cup of their loaded baked potato soup completed the meal and of course the coconut cake, but it was a to go item. The skies were clouding up and there was a steely gray sky in the east. Made a quick trip to Duckett's for peaches, decided not to stop at the Canton stores that are fun and made my way toward home. Dropped off donuts and produce to a couple of friends and made it back safe and sound. 

Yep, it was a typical summer type activity doing all those things yesterday yet it didn't feel normal. The day felt a bit empty, not because of shelves and racks holding nothing but air, but the hovering of all the uncertainty dampened any bit of enthusiasm. Other than masks the apple house felt routine and ordinary. The staff visited with us as we made selections. The weekend had been a madhouse with lines out the door. Belk was out of the ordinary though. Each time in the past Belk has sent out a survey my main complaint is how junkie and piled the store always looks. Tons and tons of clearance items thrown this way and that. I won't go through a pile of clothes like that. Their chaos made shopping difficult for my mind to reason out where and what to find, but yesterday...the racks and shelves held only a fourth of what used to be. I have not been in a retail box store in quite some time. I was shocked. Only a couple of registers were open and we stood in line while one person checked us out. There were a few other staff but they were rearranging the empty shelves and could not open another register.  The two ladies in front of me visited with me. They were from the Franklin area. They both joked that the deeply discounted jewelry they were purchasing was for their dinning and living room, where it was a bit more formal attire. I had almost bought a pair of casual/dressy capris when it dawned on me, where was I going to wear them? Even with the 50% off and a coupon, they just weren't going to go home with me. 

There is a Michael's next to Belk and I was looking for some metallic acrylic paint and got the last set. Their store didn't look as depleted. There too, a lady who was picking up a bottle of paint for her husband and I had a conversation of these uncertain times. The store had maybe five customers when I was there. The clerk said the weekends are the busiest times. That makes sense. Mast was busy, but not August afternoon busy. Easy access to the candy dept. I looked through the clothes area but again, even with t-shirts and I wear those almost everyday now, nothing called out. So it was candy and a dish towel, things that are useful. 

Forgive me Blue Rooster for I have sinned. It has been since March 11th when I had my last visit. Penitence was three fried chicken legs, collards, applesauce, cup of loaded baked potato soup and coconut cake. The joy of the Blue just wasn't there. Oh yes, the food so delicious and so welcomed to this Blue Rooster fan. No locals complaining about the tourists crowding the place, no servers running around with platters and pitchers. It could be that my friend who worked there has found a better job, with benefits and visiting with her there always brought joy but it just made it a presence of sadness yesterday, yet the undeniable happiness in my heart that she is better off in her new place of employment.  

Duckett's felt normal as we looked at veggies and fruit. The peaches looked exceptionally good, so a basket came on home. 

***********

An overcast Friday morning. I need to go to the grocery store. The kittens were late arriving for their morning treat. They play in the evenings in the flowerbed next to the driveway and they might sleep out there too. Don't know. Sometimes they are on the front deck. Punky wasn't around but then I saw Bobsey looking in the porch door and Boo was over to the side. The rest of the bunch came running when they heard the door open cause they know treats will be scattered on the steps. I had just read that two German shepherds are loose in the area and had attacked a cat. That made me a little concerned and then thrilled when the gang gathered at the back porch. 

Worked on getting more corn cooked, shucked and frozen yesterday afternoon. Sweet potatoes have been a good price so of course I looked up how to freeze them and found the process to do so. Yea! Worked on the barn quilt painting a little and have two books going. Both stories are really good although the one written in 1949 has a quicker pace and plot. The other book, while good, is plodding a bit. 

***************

This is the first time since 2015 that I have not gone on the opening day of the Leicester Studio Tour. The artist that I like to visit are mostly sitting this year out due to Covid. The blacksmith is set up at the winery down the road so I might stop in tomorrow afternoon and see what he has. He should have a good selection because most tours and fairs have canceled this year. 

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about people who have moved from NYC in the past few months. With crime escalating and realizing they can work from anywhere in the country due to working at home, many have chosen rural or suburban living. Now this was funny, many who have moved realized their NYC attire did not translate well to suburbia or rural settings. Several designers were mentioned whose clothes truly are NYC and I haven't a clue to who they are but I feel confident that the wardrobe basic is black. Colorful outfits just say tourist in NYC. My favorite interview was with a woman who has gone to basic linen and tunic outfits, nothing bad there, but she wears her muck out boots with the linen in the garden. What??? I know linen is cool, I wear it a lot, but not when working outside. The interesting reaction to the article has been why is this news? Is there nothing else you can cover besides this? For me moving to a rural area, I welcomed work and gardening clothes over business casual any day of the week, except for Sunday. Don't get me wrong women know and do dress up around here, quite fashionable I might add, but we can get away with more comfortable and functional clothes. A friend from Houston asked me the other day if I enjoyed the early access to the Anniversary Sale at The Nord. First year not to get the invite and I haven't even looked online at it. A new Nord card in the mail hasn't even been activated. 

Better writers and thinkers have taken time to express their thoughts in these distracting, distancing and distorting days. On some small scale there has been some good coming through. I have a greater appreciation and love for our church here. I have tackled projects that are way out of my comfort zone. Not reading so much at the beginning of distancing helped because there is a very well, used comfort zone. 


 

No comments: