Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas Eve

 



Winter arrived at 5:02 am and thankfully, we slept right through it. The first day of winter and now the start of enjoying longer days brought fog and cool temps. The fog has burned off but it was rather thick. The forecasts have been all over the place for Christmas Day. Snow, might have snow, no snow and now we are back up to a 60% chance for where we live. I also noticed if we had bought the house on Fern Trail we would be in the 95% range. Several weeks ago when the plumbers were here installing the new garbage disposal, somehow the subject came up about Balsam Mountain. I mentioned the snow and he mentioned a lot of retired oil and gas executives live out that way. That is something I never heard and makes me even more happy we didn't buy out that way. We love our home and where we live. 

Friday morning became rather frantic around here because I misplaced my phone. When it comes to having a phone nearby or on me, I am OCD because it is a life line. Really the frantic being based on getting the call from Larry with the update on Brenda and her surgery. I looked, searched and then prayed my prayer, Jesus You came to seek and save that which was lost and my phone is lost. First I hooked up blue tooth and music played, so this confirmed the phone was in the house. I kind of knew that but you know the all important confirmation...then find my phone came to mind. Got on my iPad and sent a ping noise. I heard it, so phone location upstairs. I found it on the soft stairs that Buddy uses to get on our bed. I thought the phone had probably fallen out of my pocket, but I would have heard it. Thus the mystery solved because the falling phone wouldn't have made a noise when it landed on the soft stairs. 

Saturday proved to be a picture perfect weather day. Roy and I decided to drive out to The Farmer's Daughter and have a late lunch. Great social distancing as we sat in the corner and for the longest time we were the only ones in the room. Delicious as always. We went to both Amish stores and enjoyed the scenery. There is a new alpaca farm on the backway to Troyers. We drove through Johnson City but only stopped at Barnes and Noble. The welcome center at the TN/NC state line was so festive in Christmas decorations. It was worth the stop just to see everything they had come up with. Lots of photo ops for sure. Buddy was happy to see us since we had been gone most of the day. The ferals were happy too because their regular supper time had been delayed about an hour and a half. 

Just got off the phone with our mechanic and as we suspected the Mustang needs new tires. They are coming from Texas. TJ said the Mustang will be ready on Wednesday. Merry Christmas to us! 

********

Greetings from rainy WNC! The rain and the temps are supposed to turn into snow and cold after the sun goes down. We have one errand to run and then we can stay home, ensconced. We ran all our last minute errands yesterday, which included Penland's. Always such a fun place to shop. Got the last bit of groceries we needed as well. We picked up Mustang Sam and he rides really nice in those new shoes. I never was a fan of the tires that came with Sam. They were for speeding and for fast starts at lights. Really, we got the Mustang because we wanted a convertible and after trying out the competitors, we fit in the Mustang the best. Tall people with short leg room in a car makes for grumpy tall people. 

The chances for snow, snow, snow, SNOW are increasing. Maybe 2-4 inches beginning tonight. Maybe more on Christmas night. Ten years ago we were at the Biltmore for Christmas and it snowed nine inches on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We had waterproof boots with us and we were some of the few who could go out and enjoy the snow. 

Roy has been busy with tech things that need to be done here. Got new speakers hooked up to the TV, put together the new vacuum cleaner and cleaned up all the cords around the computer. He has a couple more chores like that to do. We had to take a door off the hinges to get the gray chair out of the bonus room and Roy is anxious to get the door back up, so as soon as I finish this post that is our next thing to do. 

In the feral world some are taking advantage of the garage but this morning HP wanted on the back porch. He came in settled in on the daybed and finished up his morning grooming. He checked out all the nooks and crannies of the porch and then wanted to go back with his family. I let him go because if he knows it is a come and go situation, things might work out well. When we left to do errands yesterday HP stayed in the garage but didn't want to go into the garage last night. Baby, Gramps and Bootrey took advantage of the added warmth. HP wants to come in the house and I don't know if Buddy is ready for that. Although HP can't make up his mind on what he wants to do. Somedays, he is my shadow outside and other days, he will not give me the time of day. It is a work in progress though. Such a sweet and beautiful cat. Bobsey was giving me the let me in too look, but he still doesn't trust me so that would be difficult. 

Well, it is time to hang a door instead of hanging the green. Merry Christmas Eve!








No comments: