Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas To All and To All a Good Nap

 



Merry Christmas! It is so very early and our household is asleep. So quiet on this early morning. The snow arrived just as forecasted and when it first started falling and sticking to things it was a heavy snow. Not dusting but the flakes filled the skies. With the backdrop of the dark sky and the temperatures falling as fast as the snow, we went from a balmy 51 to 29 in just a matter of hours. This morning it is 17 with the feel like temperature of 6. It also looks like we got more snow than forecast. It is still falling but it is a gentle descent. 

With the exception of 2010, when we were still tourists, Roy has not been here when it has snowed. He could hardly be contained as he went about taking pictures. He wasn't wearing his boots so that impeded his progress, then the falling snow covered his lens too quickly. We broke away from watching Auntie Mame, a favorite of ours. 

I've been looking for a quote by Wilma Dykeman on snow. It is really about the first snow of the season and how it slows us down and how snow quiets all the noise. I watched last night people driving on the road in front of the house. It certainly was slow going. The temps dropped so fast the water on the roads didn't dry fast enough, thus some icy and slippery roads.

The snow has started falling again, small flakes but enough for it to sound like rain at times. 

Well, Roy and Buddy are up now. Roy made Christmas biscuits and they were delicious! I pulled out some strawberry freezer jam to top them off and the hot biscuits made the jam melt just enough. So delicious! I have been taking pictures and encouraging Roy to get out outside and take some. He doesn't realize even with the temps below freezing, we have warmed up to 19 degrees, the snow will blow out of the trees and he won't get the pics he wants. All the ferals are accounted for, even Punky. 

Thinking of this season, and Mary treasuring and pondering all that happened, I decided to take an inventory of those things pondered and treasured this Christmas season. As much as we think they should, the holidays can look different each year. Okay, I know you are thinking, but you're saying this after experiencing snow for Christmas Eve and Day. Well, that was an extraordinary in the ordinary. The quiet times, the fun times, the contemplative and silly times have all been welcomed. Roy said this morning, you are so preoccupied with snow and cats...well, yes. Not often to have snow and those little and big kitties keep me entertained, the yard free from snakes, mice and squirrels, unless the squirrel is dead. I mentioned to him now he is experiencing what I experience a lot with him, especially on the phone, when he is at work or he is crafting a speech. He gets so distracted but really I would say focused. I am treasuring that the Word of God is active and alive and each year without fail, the Lord leads me to experience something new from the old, old story that brings life and light. Treasuring the time I have been able to live in some of God's most beautiful creation. Roy laughs at me when we are running errands or going somewhere because I say, this is one of my favorite roads. I don't usually say that on I 26 though going toward SC. That is too little of road for so many people. 

We had a delicious Christmas lunch. The kitchen is cleaned up, laundry going and Buddy has settled in for another nap. Nap, that sounds good. 

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good nap.



No comments: