Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Moderate, Sunshine, Rain, Snow and Sunshine

 We drove down the forbidden road yesterday and we are still here this morning. It has probably been five years since I last was on the road and although it had been a bit of time since the last visit, I remembered the twist and turns and felt certain we would end up on Bear Creek Road. The traffic on the road was a constant so...and there were several new, big and beautiful homes that have been built during the past years. So, it might not be as foreboding as the words of warning from the past and the warning was mostly for safety. It is a beautiful drive and Roy took some great pictures. 

The temps were good for working outdoors, so we finished up Christmas decorations. We only decorated the front deck and have a few nonlighted decorations up by the gate. Almost finished with the little bit of decorating I am doing in the house. It won't be too much to put up when the Christmas season is over and we move onto 2021. Roy also put in a new WiFi extender so that means the squirrels are running at 5G speed out here. You know that he did that not only for me in the now but for him in the later. The faster speed took all the buffering out of the Roku TVs. 

Roy is back up to speed and for that he and I are both thankful. Fish out of water experience for both of us. 

When we left yesterday to take some pics, see first paragraph about the forbidden road, I saw a little black and white kitten lying on the side of the road. My heart dropped and we made our way back to see if it was one of the ones we claim. The road wasn't laden with traffic, so we were able to slow down and take a good look. It was not one of the Feral Family but probably a part of Camo's feral family as she has taken up residence farther down the road. All afternoon as we worked I kept looking and making a head count even though I was 99% sure it wasn't one of ours. The closest in size and age might be Biggio. At supper all were accounted for and HP spent a little extra time with me. This morning Boo was waiting on the steps for morning treats. He has come a long ways, oh he still scatters when I walk by, but now not as far or as fast. 

****************

It is quieter this morning. It feels a little emptier too. Fixed coffee but just like a salad, one fixed for you always tastes better. I am taking a sabbatical Sunday. The past two weeks went by so quickly and we were busy or recovering during that time. We got so much done, all the major things and only a few small projects were not tackled. We got to go and do a lot of fun things, even ate out once or twice. Roy took lots of pics that truly catch the beauty of this area. 

Looks to be a weather week around here. Starting with rain this evening that might develop into snow flurries. The higher elevations seem to be the ones that will get quite a bit of snow, while we will have a dusting. Later in the week we might see a little more snow. That electric blanket we ordered sure is going to feel good at night. While it has been a little too warm for me, I do like setting the preheat selection and crawling into a warm bed. Then I shut my side off but being in the 20s, that blanket will be rolling all night long. During all this Covid time, everyone of my hair appointments has had rain and the last one had flooding. As per the course for appointments, Tuesday will probably have ice but I can choose roads that are more major and should be treated. Roy and I hit a patch of ice going up the mountain on Newfound Road right by the abandoned blue trailer, the one that had a dog chained up outside when people were living there, and we skidded and slipped about. That long ago training from my grandfather kicked in...turn into the slide and don't over adjust. Only after hitting that ice and silenced by the experience for several miles, we realized how close we had been to going over the edge. Ugh...thank you Lord for your protection and early driving lessons learned. Never needed snow and ice driving instruction too much in Houston. 

It was painful watching the LSU game last night, so much so, I watched Home Town. I also kept an eye on the Baylor game but their uniforms were almost too bright to watch very long. I am glad Baylor won with a no time left field goal. Of course I didn't see it cause I went to bed early. 

Last year we bought a locally made Christmas tree decoration that serves as an Advent calendar. Need to bring that into the house because I think this is the first Sunday of Advent. On the back of the ornaments that serve as the days are Bible verses. 

****************

Monday morning, rain has stopped, sun trying to shine, we have snow sky and we wait to see what will happen. We should only get a trace of snow but you never, ever know. The higher elevations will probably get the brunt of snow. Everyone is treated and fed and I have a call into the plumbing service for the leaky garbage disposal. If they don't call back, maybe I will try again or find someone else. Well, I will call this afternoon first before trying another avenue. 

*****

Tuesday afternoon, going to wrap this up. Let's see....I got a plumbing appointment for Thursday morning and I drove into Asheville this morning for my haircut appointment. Since it was snowing but not sticking and I took all major roads, I wasn't too nervous but extra cautious. It had been 11 weeks since I had a haircut. All my appointments since the lock down have had rain involved, today being no different except frozen rain. The last one was cancelled due to flooding in Biltmore Village, so it was a long wait. In the warm weather you can wait cause you just have visor hair, don't care, but fall and winter...well let's just say there was a whole lot of volume product going on. 

No comments: