Tuesday, December 8, 2020

No Snow But Projects Completed

 The kitchen is getting back to normal. The garbage disposal began leaking. Roy cleared out everything from underneath the sink and we got a bucket in place. The plumbers were here yesterday and took care of that issue so now all that is left to do is put stuff back into the cabinet. The thought of sitting on the floor kept me from doing that yesterday afternoon, but it needs to happen. The plumbers were the nicest men, the apprentice is the main guys nephew. They thought it was the original disposal from when the house was built, which was 2005. So that is longevity. I think this sudden need of cooking during the Covid helped bring its demise sooner than later. 

While they went to pick up a new disposal, I worked on the gate. It doesn't take much for the eye to miss the mark on the post across from it, thus the gate just opens and closes until they are synced. First thought was the frost on it because once the snow was cleared off it the other day, it worked. Finally got it done before they returned. It happened later in the day as well when I was trying to leave to run errands. 

A truly beautiful sight happened yesterday afternoon. Coming home on Monticello, in the middle of the day, a six point buck ran across the road, right in front of the car and I barely missed him. Thankfully his speed and my driving under the speed limit produced results we could both be pleased with. Only one other time has a deer ran so closely in front of the car, but it was a doe on an early foggy morning. The brief flash of beauty kept me in wonderment for most of the drive home. Then, on our road going up to the house, a gray and white cat ran across the road. Flashes of Mr Meany but I don't think it was him...maybe an offspring. The deer though stays in my mind, so powerful and really, he was a big deer that moved so gracefully as he was fleeing something or running toward does and deers, female deers.  

The forecast is rain this afternoon and evening. Maybe even some snow on Monday. 

*************

Last night I watched two episodes of The House of Windsor, a documentary on Netflix. Wanted to do that before watching the recent season of The Crown. The documentary tells of the near loss of the monarchy when the King left the crown for the woman he loved. Thus from this point forward the main drive of the monarchy is, don't lose the dynasty. They pronounce it den-as-ty and I like that. Until last nights viewing I didn't realize that great uncle Mountbatten was trying to keep Prince Charles from making the same mistake his great uncle David did...so pronounced and so schemed to keep him on the right track. Prince Charles, didn't seem to make the right decisions and of course always being in love with Camilla helped the disaster form. Now I have watched all the episodes and really has been so thought provoking for me. 

**************

Our coffee pot is on its last legs. A new one has been ordered and hopefully it will be delivered this week. I don't know if Cuisinart has stopped making this particular model because it was so difficult to find. Love not having to deal with a carafe. 

Roy had his appointment with the dietitian associated with his doctor office. It went well but she was quite disappointed in his limiting himself with carbs. I've written before, Roy is an overachiever and his process was going for the "A" from the doctor and staff verses healthy balanced meals and snacks. He and I had several long conversations concerning being more balanced in his eating. He was eating more Keto like and they had never told him to do that. One thing I said to him was, you're limiting yourself and in reality you are opening the backdoor to heart disease. As Roy told me about the conversation and visit with the dietitian, I could not help myself...to say...does anything she said sound familiar? Because even though I am not a professional, I remember lessons learned and changes that were made while recovering from the viral attack on my heart in 2008. He remembered. Roy can be so stubborn but I think his health episode while here got his attention. It sure was scary because he is rarely if ever ill. 

We didn't get any snow although I saw a few flakes mixed within the rain. The problem now is black ice on the roads. I am glad I don't have to get out and about today. They say the salt trucks have been salting all night long. 

The kitchen is back in order and a few other projects have been completed. I am never bored here. Now to finish up homework. 

 

No comments: