Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Bunny Trail Once Again

 Oh the beauties of a rainy mountain morning. That means the garage is harboring the Feral Fam and not waiting so patiently for better cat liking weather. Of course breakfast was welcomed by all. The morning began early when getting up around 5:00 am after awakening from a crazy, didn't make sense dream. John Bolin was singing opera for the morning service and Joan Brunson was his accompanist but we all thought it was Jill. That is upon John taking a deep breath, Joan stopped playing the piano and telling funny stories. That sequence happened several times in the dream. Whoever was sitting across the aisle from me got to laughing so hard over Joan's interrupting and then telling funny stories, that she spilled her mac and cheese all over the floor in the worship center. I got to laughing so hard, I couldn't even help pic up the spilled mac and cheese. Then I woke up. I wonder if eating at Carraba's yesterday triggered the dream? By the way, the opera music John was singing, truly beautiful. 

Our choir gave an Easter concert Sunday night. It was done so well and the music outstanding. Several of the arrangements were Cindy Berry ones, which reminded me of her arrangements we sung at First Baptist back in the day. I will be coming back to choir after Easter. What a great time to come back, finally the altos outnumber the sopranos. Afterwards, it was to the Fellowship Hall for cake and ice cream for a missionary family near and dear to the church, the father grew up at Newfound. He spoke Sunday morning and his honesty and vulnerability along with preaching the Word, was refreshing. Honestly, I usually punt a service where a missionary speaks because everything is too predictable in the options of what they will speak on, but not Sunday. They leave Friday for a new country. 

A friend asked me Sunday night if I miss Houston. Not really, not Houston per se but I do miss friends. Now that Roy is here, no turning back, no turning back. I miss different things, mostly food, in Houston. An article about the River Oaks Tennis Tournament came through on my timeline this morning giving five reasons why you shouldn't miss it. Roy's company sponsored it for several years back in the day. It was many people's social event of the spring each year. Clay court tennis played at one of the ritziest and for some, the most coveted membership to a country club. When friends or company offered tickets, I always chose the early to mid rounds. Courtside seats and/or entrance to the VIP area above the court with complementary food and drink. Ah yes, complementary is country club talk for free. I played tennis with a few friends who were ROCC members and they would get a table or two for the luncheon and fashion show that kicked off the week long event. Those tables were not easy to come by. One year our team got a picture taken with Jimmy Conner. The tennis players comprised of up and coming as well as on the road to the senior tour...thus Jimmy being there as well as John McEnroe. Saw Pete Sampras play before he was Pete Sampras. Our tickets to the matches usually came with the close in and on the property parking. We were not left to find a parking spot on the streets in front of the richest homes in Houston. The final on Sunday was the place to be seen and who are you wearing for many. That never interested me cause sitting in some dress up clothes to watch tennis in 90 degree temperature is not my idea of fun and because I had no interest or any kind of financial means to be a social climber being rather happy on a lower rung. I remember fun times with friends mostly. Roy only went once or twice, tennis has never been high on his interests except only, it made me happy at that time. Sunday night, I was telling my friend about some of the more interesting characters I met along the way by playing tennis. Some of their life experiences were like movies. Others were so down to earth and you'd never know their monetary worth. Last year I looked up several of the ladies I played with and many of them have passed away. There was one woman in particular, after reading her obituary, the details of her life explained a lot about who she was. Those former University of Texas beauty queens of sororities of the long ago, many don't ever see themselves realistically in their 60s and 70s. Those days when they could drink to excess and not have it phase them. That doesn't carry well into old age if one is still drinking the copious amount of alcohol, carrying with them their travel liquor cabinet and flask. She was a tenacious tennis player and was always up for something fun after games or tournaments. She could easily get on your last nerve and who of us can't do that, but she fought an uphill battle. There was a pecking order and I have always said, I was in their world but not of their world. It helped that my tennis game was pretty good.  Well, it seems I took a bunny trail . 

It is now afternoon and it is still raining. Roy is watching the market and I am working on the lesson for Sunday as well as doing those things that need to be done, so hard to be done on sunny wonderful days. Lots of shredding of the mail, picking up this and that and getting ready to vacuum. 

********

Wednesday morning. The Feral Fam is fed. Checked on the kittens and all three are accounted for. They are braver and even trying to eat with the big cats. Some growls and playful swipes at them. Charlie even played with one, helping that little one to develop skills. 

We stuck around home yesterday. A rare rainy day, almost all of the day. Got a lot of little projects taken care of and began some of the bigger projects toward the latter part of the day. 



No comments: