Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Good State of Mind






 This morning at 10:06, we walked out of the Marion DMV with our temporary drivers licenses for North Carolina. We are officially North Carolinians. We made our appointments in February and April 5th was the first day appointments were available. After all the anguish of timelines and dates, the actual appointment lasted between us, about thirty minutes. Roy's appointment was 9:30 and mine 9:45. There were two officers working. Roy got asked a lot of questions about road signs, traffic signals and such and he had to read several lines on the eyechart. I only had to read the first line. The most interesting question, besides have you ever been convicted of a felony...no never even accused of one, was what color would you say your hair is? Mousy brown with flecks of gray...shorthand answer on the license, brown. 

We were so thankful for the clear and not too chilly morning for a license. You had to wait outside till they came and checked your name off the list. It began to cloud up a bit on the drive home and this afternoon it is raining. We are thankful that we got an appointment before spring break next week and before summer and teenagers getting their first drivers license. The odd thought I had was pressing my head against the machine with the eye chart. Pre-Covid, I would have never given this a thought but I think cleaning that has gone the way of masks, yet the plexiglass was still up between us. I can highly recommend the Marion office. Beautiful drive and if we didn't have life information as well as the titles to our cars as well as our property tax bill, we would have stopped possibly in Black Mountain or Montreat. We still have some PTSD related fears from December.

I just listened to the NC state song. It is beautiful but wordy and hard to sing along with. Texas Our Texas is a pretty good state song. 

Sunday morning we made it to big church. Each winter I follow the advice of my Houston cardiologist of staying away from church crowds during flu season. We extended into March because of covid and flu. I had tears just being there. We love our church and seeing friends as well as some new faces got to me just a bit. We had communion at the end of the service and it just seemed the right thing for that first Sunday back. In Sunday School we welcomed several friends back to class. They've needed to be out due to family members or needing that bit of protection themselves from germs. It was so wonderful to see them and yes, doing the covid distant hug. 

On the way home at least for me, such a sense of relief. The last of the big paperwork taken care of. Roy said, well, we need to file our taxes but seriously that paperwork is nothing I get involved in so that isn't even on the radar for me. I have felt an ease all day. 

No comments: