Monday, April 18, 2022

The Day After Easter

 The day after Easter and the resurrection of Jesus still is true and is still to be celebrated. The past few days I have been reminded of previous Easters. Early on before moving to Houston, when we lived close to Chicago, most of those toddler day Easter pictures have coats and jackets, but a few pics to get the full effect of Mary Jane black paten leather shoes, ruffled socks, frilly dress and a hat with a little elastic strap under the chin outfit to go to church. My mom dressed stylishly as we posed for pictures. Houston childhood Easter pictures were not that definitive. I do remember one Easter dress that my mom bought me, smocked on the bodice floral print dress. It was probably one of the best days of my life because my father and brother were on an Indian Guide campout leaving my mom and I to go shopping, eat at the Wyatt's Cafeteria and then go see the movie Cat Ballou. If my dad had been there he would have never let me get the little bit pricey dress. I wore that dress every chance I got. Now, I don't even think about Easter dress up for church. Yesterday, I wore a dress bought at the end of last summer. Warm enough for the cool temps with a denim jacket and leggings. It was the first day of this season not wearing boots. 

Saturday night I played Easter music. Rich, deep tones of Easter organ music always gets to me. Love that majestic sound that gives a prelude to a service. I listened to Second Chapter of Acts Easter Song, Sandi and Larnell  Harris sing, I've Just Seen Jesus and I cried. Well maybe it was more like teared up. Listened to Black Gospel as well as Southern Gospel Easter songs. Such joy came. Our Sunday School lesson was found in Matt 28 but we kind of went through all the gospels looking at the Resurrection Story. What stood out while studying was, the early morning and the women. Of course, yes, Jesus is the main emphasis, but what the faithfulness of the women and the two secret believers in Jesus, Joseph of Arimathea and Nicademus. They hold strong that part of the narrative until the disciples come to understand all that Jesus had told them about what was going to happen once they got to Jerusalem. Reading the accounts in the Wuest NT Bible brought more understanding to all that happened. I don't know if it is because I am older now, that these stories have much more meaning than previous times. 

Roy was up early Sunday morning. He helped prepare breakfast for those who participated in the sunrise service. He stayed for Sunday School but was too tired to sit still long enough in church. He wisely came home to rest. I got to sit with Brenda for big church. It has been awhile because of pandemic and such. Roy and I fixed maple glazed ham, sweet potatoes and greasy beans for our Easter lunch. We got the beans from Duckett's Produce on Friday. A local lady sells her mason jar canned veggies. We also bought some of her homemade salsa. Haven't tried that yet, but we will. Think we will go back and buy more of her veggies. It was a quiet afternoon for us. Roy took a nap, hardly ever does that, and he took it easy. He was going to go out and do a few things, but we decided to truly rest. Roy has always pushed himself to get things taken care of both at the office and at home, really wherever he was helping or serving. I am getting used to this side of Roy, where he doesn't push himself so hard and is truly relaxing. 

There are two people that I went through all of school with, beginning in elementary through high school, Randy and Roxie. Roxie left FB long ago and so we don't keep in touch, but Randy is still on FB. He gave the sad news of his mother's passing. I don't remember too many moms that were room mothers but I remember his. I think our moms were room mothers of various grades throughout our elementary school years. 

Not up early yesterday but I am today. Did watch the online services, partly, of The Pretty Place and Chimney Rock. Watched mainly for the sunrise. This morning it is raining. The Feral Fam will be in full attendance for breakfast and with the rain maybe, just maybe, I'll get more inside projects completed. 

No comments: