Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Gearing Up and Laughing All The Way

 The oft cancelled back on tree trimmer guys showed up yesterday to trim back some of the fir trees we have in front, beside and back of the house. They were getting a little top heavy and needed to be thinned out a bit before snow or wind could take down the whole tree. They are due back this morning finishing up loading the trailer. The firs out front are probably the height they were when we bought the house. Once again we can see the long range mountain views and see a bit more of the road. You know how everyone loves a road view. Haha! 

Ann lent me a treasured book to read, I Am Nell. Part of her husband's family history that takes place in and around Burnsville. Love that little town! We saw Ann on Sunday afternoon and I started reading that night. 

Not wanting to be around the whole time the tree guys were here, I hit the road early running a few errands. Not to undone in the Spirit of Christmas, I've been trying to wear the MD Anderson Christmas designed shirts from children who have cancer. These shirts are older than the hills, buying them in Uptown Park in Houston. So officially, I am an old lady wearing Christmas shirts...just like the ones I used to know...or observe at the play grocery store. I got a great deal on Keen hiking boots and to dispel any fears, they will not be used for actual hiking. They are blue and waterproof and cute but be wary, this is coming from an old lady wearing Christmas themed t-shirts. Oh, I haven't gone so crazy to wear the craze of the 80's, painted t-shirts. You have been warned and informed. 

There is nothing like a Sunday School teacher who reads to you from their journal. I was careful to just copy out the portion I needed for class. Anyway, since the lesson part of the class was more devotional style, I told them or rather read to them a snippet from the story of the picnic table in Baytown, TX. Years ago Dena told me about her parent's trips to the recycling center and her mom told her about the picnic table in the middle of everything. I wanted to see this wonderous sight, so we headed out to Baytown one afternoon. We met up with her parents and proceeded to see this covered picnic table. We got out of our cars, went over and sat at the table and the men who ran the center joined us. We sat there in the middle of things no one wanted anymore, merely trash that can be recycled. Piles of cans, bulldozers on standby and a ramp to take the scenic route to rid your car of recyclables. Truly a picture of finding peace in the midst of chaos. Not the peace that the world gives but peace in the Lord. It reminded me of something that Roy said to me after getting the heart diagnosis. He said as you recover, the cardiologist sent me home with some pills and a wish of good luck but basically sent me home to die, we will not what if ourselves on this journey. He said, we will say won't it be wonderful when feel better and you can go to Nordstrom, church, see friends, and go back to work. That positive attitude played a huge role in my recovery. That peace that passes all understanding, nothing like it at all except maybe for a picnic table at a recycling center. 

Last night I got a text from my friend Beth, I've known her since the 6th grade. She was looking at our high school yearbook and remembering some of the best and funny times in our lives. The two of us could laugh and get silly over the simplest things. We still can do that. Our texting last night considered all the stuff we found funny from the volleyball coach to Mrs. Tate, curly red hair, a little gruff but fun as all get out. Ms Crabaugh, the coach, went to beautician school as well as teaching and coaching. Beth and I called her beauty beautician. We remembered stunts and tumbling our senior year in gym. Not my favorite because in life I could always do stunts and tumbling, only accidental not planned out for a grade.  

Everyone is gearing up for the cold weather headed our way. Seems like most of the country is experiencing the same thing. Better check the cookie and treats stockpile. No other way to get through cold but probably no snow weather. 

No comments: