Saturday, May 13, 2023

Better Late Than Never with Fashionable Compression Socks

 Good morning from the mountains! Think we have a beautiful weather-wise day in store for the area. Yesterday, had those same elements and it was a convertible weather kind of day going to and from Duckett's and Pigeon River Mercantile. Duckett's had Dixie Bell strawberries and some beautiful plants. Since I was in the car and not the truck, I stopped at Pigeon River. They always have such cute things. Loved the clothes and the jewelery but the paper goods drew me in. She is carrying a brand that after reading about it yesterday, is taking the internet by storm, Magnolia and Pearl out of Fredericksburg TX. Oh my goodness...so expensive but oh so beautiful. 

Years ago my brother got a ticket in Canton and since then I am very careful in keeping the speed limit there. I had just came to the light by the Exxon Station when a truck from the opposite direction did the old timey flash lights on and off to notify of police officers ahead. Sure enough, it was a stop and check point. Looked like local law enforcement was in charge but there was a state trooper over to the side, putting on gloves and looking like he was ready for any incident that might occur during the stop. Had the top down, so this made the stop much easier. Asked for my license and I gave it to the officer. He went to the back of the car and came back. He reminded me that the tag was due in June and my response was, car already inspected just waiting for the paperwork to come from the state so that we can renew. He was a pleasant officer as he asked about my day and how fun to enjoy the temps in a convertible and then I was free to go. This only the second license check here in NC. The other on was on the river road during the month I was visiting and looking for a house to purchase. In Texas you need your license and proof of insurance, here just the license. It is emotionally jolting to the system to experience, but I was happy to drive away, at the posted speed limit, and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. 

Upon arriving home I had a quick lunch and then scooted to the grocery store while the AC guy was here. He was running late so the morning in Canton, while needed, didn't succeed at me being gone. Oh well, but the timing worked cause he was pulling onto the road just about the same time I was coming close to the house. Our trip to Sam's got punted into the later part of the week. We were both tired but we recovered enough to go back outside in the early evening and get a few things done. Roy worked on getting tomatoes planted and I fixed a new space for The Feral Fam. After about a week and half of not seeing Toupee's kittens, I spotted them last night. Right now she has them camped out underneath the grill cover with a safe escape route to underneath the porch. I thought she just had three but seems like there is a very shy one that doesn't leave the grill cover area. They are just the cutest with a calico being one of the four. The rest are black and white with one having the ubiquitous face that I have seen in other litters, kind of reminds me of Cutie. Well, just saw kittens at play in the back and there are two calicos.   

***********

While waiting for the bug man to come and spray outside, we did a little bit of work. Got some purple and yellow lantana in a hanging basket, got more dahlias planted and Roy pulled weeds from the ever prorogating weed flowerbed next to the driveway. When he left we stopped at Lowe's to get tomato cages and top soil to fill some of the raised beds. Went across the street to Dollar Tree and bought some purple pool noodles, also for filler in some of the raised beds. Back to TJs for green and red pepper starts and a few flowers for a small filler space in a flowerbed. 

Toupee's kittens mainly hang out behind and underneath the grill and grill cover...just like their ancestors before them. Roy was starting on our last raised bed for the yard while I worked hard at winning over a kitten or two. Toupee was close by monitoring interaction of which there was very little. But Fido and Barney played chase the fishing lure, kids fishing pole, with me. Fido was really into the game. Several of the kittens watched and two were actually contemplating joining in but after approaching Beanie cause they though he was their mom, they were a little skittish after that encounter. Roy got to a good stopping point before the rain. 

Tomorrow we are helping the children's ministry by cutting out things for VBS. We are serving, having fun and I get a little break that is needed. In fact, we might even do cut outs next week. After that we will finish up John and onward to Jeremiah. I love studying for lessons but this week as we have had appointments and we've completed projects, I love the feeling of not experiencing that nagging feeling of, better stop this now and get back to studying. We've made tremendous headway outside and the spring summer clothes transition is now complete. Yay!

Guess this week has been teacher appreciation week cause I have seen several posts where people thank a teacher for the influence they had on their lives. My college roommate is a retired teacher and she invited former students to get in touch and share what they are doing now. This season for me has been an overwhelming season of gratitude and I feel like the Lord is showing me places and seasons in life where I thought they were some of the toughest or most difficult seasons in life. My college roommate and I knew each other from church and school, but we didn't mesh well living together. I was a night owl, she an early bird. We only roomed together one semester. I got to thinking this week if she hadn't encouraged me to apply to go to SWSTU, I probably would have stayed home because I was being told I was too stupid for college. My father's chosen profession for me was ice tea lady in a cafeteria. I made him happy by going to interview for that job while in high school. Out of that interview I was told I was too smart for the job. They liked to give those jobs to people who might have some mental handicaps but would be able to work and hopefully provide for themselves. I was told you have your whole life before you, you're smart and personable, why would you want this job? I never told my father about that interview, just told him I didn't get the job. I felt if I told him, he just might do something to make me mentally challenged, I'd rather him think I was stupid and couldn't even become an ice tea cart lady.  In hindsight I see that I react to trauma by shutting down. Thus applying and then being accepted to college began the start of freedom for me. Even with the difficult the feel and taste of freedom emotionally was refreshing and although it was only for a year and I came home to go to U of H, it was that little jumpstart. I thanked her on FB. Till this week I had not been thankful for all the good that came out of that year and is a huge part of who I am now. Better realizing it late than never. 

This week's cardiologist appointment was hopeful but waiting to get an echocardiogram in a week or so to determine any course of action going forward. We had a good talk about some of the symptoms I've been experiencing off and on, not on a consistent basis. Good discussion about ongoing symptoms that have me puzzled. I am praying that the managing of all this can be the directive. I am learning to live with this compression sock thing right now and trying my hardest to make it work as well as trying to be somewhat fashionable. Ha! 

No comments: