Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Coordination and Crowning of Becoming An Old Lady

 We dined sumptuously on eggs, bacon and sliced strawberries for the Coronation of King Charles and Camilla yesterday morning. While we weren't the keenest watchers, I was more interested than Roy. Loved the music and the ceremony. Didn't care about all the goings on with the royal family because all the experts in the world really are only making guesses and sometimes educated guesses about the thoughts or feelings of major and minor, working or non working royals. All the troops and the pageantry in the returning to Buckingham Palace or wherever they returned to was the most interesting. Maybe they returned to Windsor...not a clue. Anyway, Roy has been calling the Coronation the Coordination. When you think about that, it's not too far off in meaning for the celebration. 

The youth of the church we having a fund raiser for camp so we headed that way to look around at the craft vendors and pick up some pie for later. We headed home to put away the pie and feed The Boys, then off to TJs and a quick trip at Ingles. We bought more tomatoes at TJs with a few other annuals for small containers. We ate a quick lunch and Roy went to work out while I finished up the last part of the lesson for today. We were able to do a little more work in the flowerbeds in the evening. We've been painting the chairs out front. One chair and two footstools are done. Have two more chairs to paint. 

I made the big dive into being an old lady today, you might even say I was baptized by emersion, into dressing like I haven't the sense to look both ways before crossing the street. With the upcoming appointment to the cardiologist yet, needing comfort and on the first Sunday that we could truly wear spring and summer clothes temp wise, I didn't want to wear boots. Yes, I know that statement is shocking. Every winter into spring, leaving the socks behind, I do have a little swelling around my ankles but it dissipates. This year, that has happened but it is also happening because my heart is not pumping blood efficiently to the lower limbs. Wanting to be active before the appointment, I needed to wear compression socks...so I did, with sandals. The sandals are not cute strappy sandals but comfort driven and I do believe I remember my Grandma B wearing a leather version of what I wore yesterday. Thank you Clark's brand. At least I tried to coordinate colors and not wear white socks or anything like that. Also this week, while out in the yard working, I wore a red and black buffalo checked flannel shirt that didn't match a thing I had on. Ah, the life. I blame the fact I have been going to Roy's doctor appointments with him under the guise of getting breakfast. Haha! No, I think it could be that some of these things that I thought really mattered, don't. Don't get me wrong, I can dress up or whatever in a minute but if I don't have to, why? Roy says he thinks whatever is cute and fine. He is looking more at the softening of my attitude and approach to life. That's all that matters these days. I am in the process of gathering my flood style pants to give away. When you grew up tall and hardly any pants were long enough, so you always had on high waters...I can't think I am wearing anything fashionable and I've tried. Giving up and moving on. I am on a clearing out bent and have made headway. Headway, that I can tell, that's for sure. 

************

We did the weed pulling thing yesterday with the ground being wet from our rain. The side flowerbed is the worst. Well, it is the worst because we truly can see all the weeds fully. It is also where perennial wildflowers come up, so sometimes it takes longer to remember is this a plant or a weed. I use the photo plant identifier and that helps most of the time. I think we lost all our butterfly bushes during the crippling cold of Christmas. Went back to work in the yard after supper. More weed pulling, some dead heading of roses and putting together another raised flowerbed to put around the last plum tree. We ordered an 8x4 bed to put around the maple tree. We also have a couple more small 3x3 galvanized rings to put over by the forsythia and where the sunflower seeds will be planted. 

I don't know why I started thinking about GA's this week. The whole Girl's Auxiliary experience doesn't hold a bunch of happy times, but I can remember some of the things I learned. Like, at the house the church bought across from Westbury High School, when our church met there. We had Sunbeams, GA's and guess RA's there during the week. From that little house I learned how to make butter by shaking a jar of cream as well as being introduced to Christmas in July as we brought Christmas gifts to be shipped overseas to children around the world. My cousin's churches usually did Awana which seemed to have a little more of a fun element to it. Of course it is not surprising that those things we did in GA's seemed a bit more serious. I also think it is not a fond memory because I didn't really know very many others participating. We attended early SS and church and most everyone my age went to late SS and church. The same for choir, I wanted to love it but I didn't read music and felt so inadequate. My mom once saw the music minister from our church Ron Lowrey at a church reunion, I was a young adult then. She said his face lit up when she mentioned my name. I will always be thankful that he did that because, she dropped me off for choir and I hid in places around the church until it was time for her to pick me up. He didn't know me. I saw where an ensemble had a reunion, probably 25-30 years from the time they were high schoolers at church. I came across a blog written by one of the members. She had gone on to be very successful in business and life, but in high school, she was considered sketchy. Her observations were spot on because even though most hadn't seen each other in years, they fell or were placed back in the pecking order of back in the day. She said she wanted to just drop the music and leave. These "friends" just picked up where they had all left off but she stuck it out and sang for the church that Sunday morning. 

After several thunder boomers and rain, Mike the Mower Man was able to make it out this afternoon. Now, we can begin in earnest to take care of more gardening stuff. 

No comments: