Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Remembering and Celebrating

 One night of volunteering for VBS, painting props and scenery. Did anyone get the number on the bus that ran over me? This ol' bod did not want to get up this morning and when the brain overruled the objection, the bod made it as painful as possible. Lower back ache and my feet, well they have failed me for now. It is several hours later and brain and bod are co-existing rather peacefully. Nothing like a little coffee, rub on detox gel and Jesus to get the motor running. Just good training that will be needed for VBS week. Like so many have mentioned before, there is tired and then there is VBS tired. 

Life has settled back in for The Feral Fam. With three females no longer attracting Tom cats, the Fam is down a bit. That's fine with us. Think we have another clinic appointment the week after next. Actually we have several booked appointments in July and hopefully some of the kittens and the remaining male cats get fixed. Not too many more to go. 

The past few days have held quite a few look backs via FB and several FB groups that remember and write about growing up in southwest Houston. Lots of Westbury Square memories, restaurants from back in the day and hang out places both in nature or clubs or theme parks. Someone mentioned Charlies 517. Not southwest Houston per se but delicious food and for us the beginning of a love that started out kind of rocky, but oh so wonderful.  Roy took me there for lunch after he had returned from Brussels, don't know that it was a date, but it was eating during our lunch hour when we worked downtown. We both came away from that lunch a bit disappointed. To me Roy was too aloof and Roy thought I was the shallowest person he had ever met. Gee, it was meant to be. Several other places have been mentioned and just this morning a mention of the Confeddy House got some love. Now you know, it was not Confeddy but more like a group of states during the civil war, but a lady that played tennis at The UC, always called it that, Confeddy. She said she was from France but she sure sounded like she was from Central America. She and her tennis partner Vonda were a hoot. Vonda was from South Africa and when the two of them got to talking, it became very hard to understand, both having very strong accents. My favorite memory is how Alex called out balls during matches. She had two ways of calling them, besides the call being in her favor, the first way; giving you an explanation of just how your ball was almost on the line. The second way? She would tell you the ball was out, with the afore mentioned explanation and then she'd remind you, you must believe me cause my accent tells you I know how to believably call out balls. Her make up never smeared nor do I recall her sweating but after we booked our next game, she would take her racquet, put it underneath her arm at an angle then lift up the well worn, beaten up, over sized Louis Vuitton bag and leave.  

***********

It has been a full week and truthfully, I don't really have those kinds of weeks anymore. Yesterday, was a slow start. Ran over to TJs in the afternoon and we deadheaded roses and such last night. We had a rather warm day for this area but we can almost count on a cool down in the evenings with a good breeze. A lot of The Feral Fam accompanied us for our chores. Then relaxed with us while we rested. Fido will sit at our feet, so will Beanie...well just a little. It was a pleasant sight to see Toup Jr playing with Beanie. Roy has felt a bit of disgust toward Toup Jr, for abandoning her babies. She was really young and a lot of cats don't get pregnant the first go into catwomanhood, but she did. She was still a baby and she still wants to roughneck and play. I have seen a few other cats be immature toward their kittens but this was Roy's real journey into that darkness. I am glad we got her fixed and Roy isn't as disgusted by her abandonment issues.

***********

Once again we roll into Monday morning. Have several errands to run today. Then the rest of the week looks to be a quiet one, for which I am thankful. 

While cleaning out bookshelves and drawers I came across several items I had totally forgotten about. I wore the bad hair pin from the Metal Museum that my niece gave me. I also found a necklace but the length was too long for what I wore yesterday. I also found a book that Peggy gave me back in 1987. When you find fun things it makes the chore a little easier. I kind of rearranged furniture in the front room upstairs and that right there got me started on the quest. Of course that happened in the middle of studying for the lesson, but then ADHD makes life interesting and never boring...just a lot of projects in limbo in the wake. 

Jeremiah 18 is where we were yesterday, and I love studying the creative nature of God and Jeremiah response. Pottery was an everyday thing, there is a potter in every village. So God is telling go to the everyday work, the everyday ordinary and there I will speak to you. I told the class about 7th grade art and how I looked forward to the class but art wasn't my forte. Okay in the 7th grade, I don't know that I had a forte. Told them about the three process picture of background paint wash, stamps made by carving a potato and then painting a picture of an interest or hobby. I was at the end of my horse infatuation season, but that is what I wanted to paint...only thing, I couldn't draw nor can I now...Anyway, I talked to the art teacher and she asked me to draw a horse for her on a white piece of paper. She saw my dilemma, might have been good in kindergarten, but not so much in the 7th grade. The next day in class, she brought me my paper and said I think if you look closely you can find a horse in your work. Sure enough, in faint pencil lines, there was a horse she had drawn. Now I just had to paint it black. The teacher made an A and displayed her work in the display case outside the art room. I will never forget her kindness and I have thought of that experience many times since then. Only she could do this. If a classmate drew it, it was cheating. If I drew it, well if she was compassionate that day, maybe a D. I threw myself onto the mercy of that teacher just like I throw myself onto the mercy of God. When I don't understand the why and how of circumstances, if I look closely I'll find where God is in those painful days and know I can color in the details with His presence leading me. 

Our friends dropped by with veggies from their garden last night. Pretty exciting and have plans for a great July 4th lunch. 

*******

Even on the 4th, the guys are back again in the pasture across the way. Clearing a spot and look to be trying to locate the spot for the well. I think some surveyors are out there as well. Watching them on and off the past couple of days these guys get a good arm workout pointing here and pointing there. All of them in most of their conversations are pointing with both arms working into quite a thing. 

So here is to a good celebration today and tonight. We can see fireworks from all around, professional as well as some pretty good amateurs. The first July 4th here, not one firework could be heard but that has changed in the past few years but still not as bad as in Rancho de Five.  

No comments: