Friday, July 17, 2020

Just Some Friday Catch Up

The dilemma each morning now with warmer temps is, go out early and do a few maintenance things in the flower garden or stay inside and begin a blog post. Well, this morning it is obvious the choice I made. The choice came after being outside for just a bit, even in the shade, it didn't take long for me to come back inside. Although I got a hole dug for the climbing rose bush, worked in the quarry to break up some rocks to add to the pathway down to the flower garden and gave a few droopy flowers a little watering. The ferals have scooted off to somewhere cooler than the yard. More power to them.

I read an article yesterday about hanging tough with gardening in July. Weeds, even with the best way possible to keep them at bay and plants that didn't grow according to the plans made in the spring can be frustrating. The encouragement was good because that weariness quickly has been taking over that initial joy, even with flowers blooming and the sunflowers growing strong.
********
It has been several days since writing the above and those paragraphs are relevant this morning. I tried to beat the heat and get out to do a few things like putting the smaller pieces of broken up stones for the pathway in place, feed the birds and chop down some weeds. It didn't take long to abandon ship on those plans. My neighbor and I were talking the other day about keeping up spring motivation into the middle of summer.

This morning I slept in until 8:00 am. Most of that sleep came from my eye exam yesterday which included dilated eyes. Also Buddy had a semi restless night. Her old age is showing again this past week. She will eat treats somewhat and a little food but mainly wants to sleep. At the last vet appointment they told me she is doing good for a fifteen year old cat but to expect the slow down to accelerate a bit. It is tough watching her maneuver her moves . I thought she was a goner last August but she pulled through. Hoping she can do the same this summer.

For a COVID time, this week held what used to be so normal. Hair appointment, trip to the Amish Markets near Johnson City and eye exam. What wasn't back when normal are all the protocols put into place for a safe experience. It is interesting what different businesses feel is important to the whole safe experience. I think the strongest protocols are at the hair salon. Fever check, sign a waiver, just bring in what is needed, no extras. They disinfect used pens, your credit card and constantly ask you to use the hand sanitizer. Got some bad news from the salon, Chloe is moving back to Florida and will be leaving the salon at the end of August. We have such a good relationship in all things hair and life discussions. So, I will only have one more appointment with her. That news took the wind out of my sails, it affected me so much emotionally. After doing the hair thing I went to pick up the paint by number barn quilts over in Madison County. Picked two designs that she puts on the plywood for you, supplies the paint and brushes and instructions. I was in the Mustang for the pick up and the thought crossed my mind that Sam might have some trouble getting up the steep gravel driveway. And yes, there was trouble and a whole lot of spinning going on. I backed down and thought this through, the options that maybe would help. I saw along the left side of the driveway, grass and not so much gravel. So again, revved up Sam, veered to the left and success! If I decide to do more of her things, the truck will be the way to go.

Roy wanted some more extreme queso from the Amish store, so Wednesday I made the trip to TN. Got his queso and a few other fun things. No need for a Kroger stop but I did go back to Academy to get a couple of visors. Stopped for lunch at Carabba's and then made my way home. It was tempting to stop along the way to take some flower pictures but overcame the temptation.

 On the way home from the grocery store, thinking about all the changes in the past few months in the big picture as well as on the home front. These are just some random thoughts, in no order and probably of not much importance.

During the safer at home COVID time

Goldfish and Texas Mix, together in a bowl have been the snack during this time.

Ice cream, while always loving it, is the dessert of choice for me these days.

Hamburgers, sloppy joes, pasta dishes and long time favorite or newly married meals have been the choice. Some of it comfort food other, just easy to make.

I discovered gardening.

Several long procrastinated projects have been checked off the list, but there are still so many more awaiting attention.

Like I said, not anything important but I do feel good about how I have spent the days mainly being at home. With this done, think I will make some sloppy joes for lunch and there might be a few frozen fries to add to the mix.








No comments: