Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sunday Night, Looking Like Rain

Last Saturday I was trying to decide if I would drive over to TN or if I would stick around the local area. Thinking of more people being out on the weekend and not wanting to be in a crowd decided to do the local thing. Being able to take one of the most beautiful drives to Mars Hill made the decision easy. It was a nice day so the top came down on Mustang Sam and off we went. Had the music turned up a bit and I was singing to some oldies. While enraptured with song, taking in the sunshine, a weird feeling hit my leg. It felt as if something was crawling up the calf of my left leg. First thought that came was of recent FB posts where a snake comes out of the a/c vents or from underneath the dashboard. You know I went right there before looking. Now mind you this is all happening in nano seconds but it felt like a much longer time. Not knowing how I would react if it was a snake, or lizard or spider...I kept my eyes on the road because there are twists and turns, river to one side and smack dab into a mountain on the other...quick glance, much relief, it was a paper towel grazing my leg.

With that could be emergency settled, it was onward to Mars Hill and TJ's. Pulled into the parking lot and saw a sign over a section of the tomatoes, Mr Stripey $3.49 a pound. Went inside, got half runners, berry pepper goat cheese, cinnamon rolls for Sunday morning but before checking out, I asked a question about the Mr Stripey tomatoes. I asked if Mr Stripey was a local farmer, up in the mountains of Madison County that was known for his delicious tomatoes. The lady at the register, mindfully suppressing a laugh, responds...they are a heirloom tomato. On the inside there are stripes of pinks, reds, and green. Behind me I heard a lady murmur..bless her heart. Not to be totally embarrassed I let them know, working on being here five years and lots to learn but being from Texas, never saw a Mr Stripey. So, I bought several. Oh my, what a good tomato! Not as acidic as regular ones, a tad sweeter. Tasted very good with Dukes, salt and white bread.

Last night I sat on the front porch stinging greasy beans. Several soft rumbles of thunder and then a light rain shower reminded me of days gone by sitting on the front porch with Grandma B shelling beans and peas. We sat together on the glider. We talked but I don't remember any particular conversations, but I knew I was loved by her. We did laugh quite a bit and when there was a lull in our conversation, Grandma would say something to the effect, so many cars traveling by, wonder where they are all going?

With feral cats being fed in the backyard the number of flies increase. The past year or so I have put up cylinder fly traps but this year yellow flat sticky fly traps have been added in the garage. Those yellow fly traps catch a whole bunch of those suckers. Sometimes while fixing food the flies being trapped draw my attention. Some land and are able to fly away but many are trapped and sometimes it looks like that scene from Gone With the Wind, where soldiers are lying on the ground, a massive amount and you can see some movement, lots of dummies were used for that scene because there were not enough extras. The extras moved and made the dummies move next to them. Anyway, there on that yellow fly paper of death, many struggle to be free. So many flies...

Buddy had an up and down night thus meaning I had an up and down night too. Very little sleep and around 3:30 am I made the decision to stay home from church. The past few nights have not held much sleep and with my resistance down, I don't want to give COVID-19 an opportunity. It is about 50/50 on mask wearing at church.

While this social distancing time has been spent doing projects, cleaning out drawers, attempting some closets but decided to put those on the if I am really desperate for something to do list, a few negatives have entered the six foot zone. A few weeks ago I wrote about everyone enabling Barney on the Andy Griffith Show. Since that is on in the background many a night, it is looking like I need to find something else or leave the TV off. Maybe I'm getting more like my mom, she didn't like Barney and found him to be a nuisance. But Barney is wearing thin on my nerves. Another nerve getting on thing, social media has been around for a while. If you participate with it by now you know that everyone's life is not peachy keen. So, for those who have to put that in a post, so we won't think that life is nothing but a dream, sha boom, sha boom...just stop it! Give us the grace to know that 99% of us know that social media is used to portray an image and the 1%, they'll think whatever they want to think, so writing that life isn't perfect is so unnecessary. Also, along this line...if you want something, be willing to pay for it, not get it for free. Stuff like, if anyone has free tickets to a Broadway Show, please contact me. Anyone have a cabin we could use or a beach house or a condo or a timeshare? Stop it! Most that are asking can afford to rent or lease or pay...The answers are interesting in response to asking and most are directing the person asking to AirBNB or VRBO. One time when asking for tickets, almost everyone said, go online to the box office.

So, I cannot end this post on a negative note of things getting on my nerves. I started a new book and it is very good Big Lies in a Small Town. After being so discouraged by not finding something to grab my attention, the Upstairs at the White House got me rolling. The memoir I started is okay. Well, that a wrap for this evening. I watered flowers and now it looks like rain. Oh boy, then I won't have to water tomorrow evening.


No comments: