Thursday, March 17, 2022

That Happens

 Snow on the weekend and rain today. Monday and Tuesday pleasant days temperature wise. Most probably the snow is over for this winter season but there should be a few frosts till May. It is so tempting to put out plants, but experience says, nope, ya gots to wait. I notice our forsythia has a few blooms so that is good news. Neighbor's forsythia is out and out blooming but they are mature plants. 

Last week we ran by Lowe's for birdseed and topsoil. Roy was in the Garden Center and I was taking my time to get out there. I had stopped at the flower seeds section. While going through all the choices a woman asked me if I was a graduate or had I gone to Mars Hill. She asked because I was wearing a Mars Hill University sweatshirt. No, just a fan and our conversation continued. She told me that both she and her husband were graduates and he was a long time trustee. I mentioned our friends Kyle and Judy, of course she knew them. So we continued on as they have returned to the area after being gone for several years. She works for the garden center but not for Lowe's and we discussed flowers and the like. In rural terms of neighborhoods, we are neighbors. I described our home, she knew exactly where we are and she described her home and I knew the area and next time I am down her road, I will look. It was one of those fun experiences. Mainly, people ask me about sweatshirt schools when I wear a Baylor one or tshirt. First Mars Hill experience. 

Yesterday, we went to Spartanburg for a several time postponed trip to Costco. It was worth the wait. Filled up with $3.79 gasoline, only one car ahead of us and then into the store. Roy's card had been stolen in December, so he got his card made and we were off to shop. We made a list while driving of things we didn't want to forget. We found just about all of list except for two things. We usually eat lunch while there in the area, but I had a strawberry sundae and Roy ate almonds so we could get back on the road. We had a couple of deliveries to make, bought BBQ from Shorties and we were on our way home. 

I think I am almost to the point of deactivating my Twitter account or pausing it. There is just too much arguing for me over nit picky stuff but then there are issues that needs to be addressed and confronted. The new article on sexual harassments that went on at Christianity Today, without a reprimand or something being done about it while not surprising and not shocking, it is a sad commentary on the protection that is extended to those who supposedly bring something of value, to be protected, to the table. Their actions get overlooked because, well just because that is always how it has always been done. It is easy but not welcomed to remember the various "could have been terrible" moments from childhood into teenage years and into adulthood. A scary encounter in the 7th grade at a church function by a mentally challenged young man was stopped when someone just happened upon the scene and rescued me from the situation. Only thing, I was lectured afterwards as if I had encouraged the encounter and also duly noting I rarely attended youth events, I didn't know anyone, so why did I come that night? Believe me, I didn't want to but my father forced me to go. The adult correcting me said they were going to speak to my parents. I don't know if they did or not cause that would set up the third bad encounter from that event, attacked physically,  then emotionally and at home a veritable potpourri of punishment. I believe if they did speak it might have been just to my mom. If my father had the knowledge, there would have been a whole lot of beating and emotional barraging going on.  

My prescription, ready, and we went to pick it up as well as shop on wisdom, senior adult, discount day. Yes, we were in the mix of our own ilk, but think we are a tad cooler than most. Haha! As we checked out, the lady in front of us swore up and down that Klondike bars were on sale. They were last week but someone had left the sign from last week on the ice cream bars. Funny thing, the kind of Klondike bars she had weren't even on sale last week. So, she didn't want them. While we were checking out she came back with the sign and the checkout lady just gave them to her. Great move by Publix. We are an interesting group of older ones. Roy and I are a little more penurious these days as compared to last year. But the thing that gets me is how narrowed down some actions go with gray hair wisdom, especially in the parking lot. Senior men especially, don't look around to make sure they can make the turn without hitting another car or people. My new arch enemy replacing the mini van are old men, in beat up cars, with their eyes on the prize of a close parking spot. Also replacing Instacart shoppers.  Roy and I added some entertainment on the cleaning product aisle as we got into a discussion about Carbona cleaning products. I love the carpet cleaner as well as the outdoor cleaner. Roy wasn't making a bit of sense over his concerns and I assured him I had used the products before. He kept talking about the scent being overpowering or something. Anyway, we got the product and when we got to the car he realized he had used the wrong word. Oh well, that happens. 

No comments: